1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
I so want to race one of them!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
it really doesn't matter if their going 125mph on the straights or 160mph there still going to reel you in the corners. Being fast on a racetrack has very little to do with the machine unless you are at a professional level

·
Registered
220 Posts
it really doesn't matter if their going 125mph on the straights or 160mph there still going to reel you in the corners. Being fast on a racetrack has very little to do with the machine unless you are at a professional level
I think it is track dependant.
Most auto racing circuits are going to be horsepower dependant.
A professional in a miata at big track willow
Rookie club racer me in an M3
I'm still going to beat him. I don't care how good he is. Unless I spin out or crash, I'm going to leave him behind.

30 ish hp at the crank vs almost 100.
Thats such a big margin that unless the rider is completely uncomfortable riding at his 9/10ths.
If there is a motorcycle specific fact that I don't know of, someone please correct me.

Now, a guy who has never been at a track or otherwise cannot drive for pete's sake.. I've seen miatas pass vipers on circuits, and I've personally beat this Ford GT50 several times until the guy got the hang of it. :lao

·
Registered
220 Posts
Absolute speed and time is meaningless without competition though.
It is still rider oriented. Who cares if 250s aren't bad ass. Races are won at straights but corners are what determines that. Except luck.. lol. Luck is very important :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
that may be true in auto racing, but in motorcycle racing it's not so accurate. i have done many track days and races on a ZX6R and a R6 and i have embarassed people on gixxer 1000's and been embarassed by many on older 250 ninjas and sv650's. it's 90% rider

·
Registered
220 Posts
that may be true in auto racing, but in motorcycle racing it's not so accurate. i have done many track days and races on a ZX6R and a R6 and i have embarassed people on gixxer 1000's and been embarassed by many on older 250 ninjas and sv650's. it's 90% rider
I see. Its good to know, I am worried that I'll get in everyones way in a novice session because I don't have the HP..! Can't wait till I try a track on a motorcycle :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The above posts are true. I've done a track day on a 250. Had a blast. I passed many 600's and 1000's. I had guys coming up to me and asking what size my bike was and were in disbelief about it being a 250. I will note, though, by the end of the day some of the bikes i was passing had gotten better and were now passing me. I did feel as though my lack of horsepower had limited me. I am waiting to do a track day with the 636. cheers:cheers

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
it's decieving because they can only be going a top speed of what 125mph down those back straights?
if they are going 125, i want to know what they did to the engine. the land speed at the salt flats was about 110, and that bike was designed to go fast in a straight line.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That guy towards the end on the Green 250 knew how to get low in the draft, he was cracking me up...

Great Video!

·
Turbo nerd.
13,728 Posts
Man that looks like fun, WIDE FUCKING OPEN any questions, I love it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The above posts are true. I've done a track day on a 250. Had a blast. I past a many 600 and 1000's. I had guys coming up to me and asking what size my bike was and were in disbelief about it being a 250. I will note, though, by the end of the day some of the bikes i was passing had gotten better and were now passing me. I did feel as though my lack of horsepower had limited me. I am waiting to do a track day with the 636. cheers:cheers
Hmmmmm. I will wait until the track day to make a judgement. Auto track days are just like that, but as soon as people figure out how to late apex and do at least 80% of potential cornering force it seemed that cars with twice HP were impossible to catch, unless it was a track like Streets.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
moto racing isn't like auto racing, one reason being the riders overall contribution to all things handling in quite a few different ways, it's even moreso about the rider than how it is with a driver.

So Miata versus M3, in this form of racing it is possible to gain so much in the corners that you could overall come out ahead of the guy on the 600cc four.

8 times out of 10 I would say.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts