Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so to make an unecessarily long story short, i dont have a key for my car anymore. i drive a 1979 dodge diplomat (2 door) so i seriously doubt i can just go up to the dodge dealership and get a new one. do i have to replace the entire ignition? what can i do, i havent been able to drive it for over 2 months now.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Go to the dealer and have them cut a new key they can get the number for the key so it can be cut.

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
call a locksmith and have them make you a new key....or....go to O'reilly's/Autozone....Dodge...see if they sell a lock/key kit for your car. It MAY be easier to install than you think...

The 'hopper

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i imagine that the dealer should be able to get you a key from the VIN number.

BTW, i'm not sure what a dodge diplomat looks like... :needpics

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would go with a locksmith myself. Call one up and tell them your situation and I'm sure they will be able to answer your questions or help point you in the right direction.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
yes locksmiths can cut you new keys on site....they hooked me up when i lost the keys to my mustang in the sand on the beach...it cost about $90 but they cut me 3 keys and they worked like a charm

·
Registered
56 Posts
Being a 79 Diplomat I doubt you are in any danger of having your car stolen. Or at least it's not a car that is commonly targeted. If you have an inkling of mechanical aptitude you can bypass your switch and install an on/off switch in an inconspicuos area in the car. Total cost should be about 5 bucks.

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about the steering lock?

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Just leave it unlocked. It's a dodge diplomat, don't worry about it. It will be fine :twofinger

EDIT - Ohhhh thats right. You'll need the key to drive it. Don't i feel like an ass :lol

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
exactly. i need to disengage the steering lock so i can drive it. only a key will do that, unless i bust it out. i dont want to do that.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If it's a 79, a dealer won't be able to make a key from the VIN, it's too old. Do the locksmith thing, they'll hook you up.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
kranok said:
exactly. i need to disengage the steering lock so i can drive it. only a key will do that, unless i bust it out. i dont want to do that.

I don't know about that car but most locks are just little peices of plastic you can take it out with 10 or so mins of work! Plus if you do the pushbutton starter from above, you'll be the envy of the neighborhood everyone will think your a nascar driver! :twofinger

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
Grashopr said:
call a locksmith and have them make you a new key....or....go to O'reilly's/Autozone....Dodge...see if they sell a lock/key kit for your car. It MAY be easier to install than you think...

The 'hopper
Most cars you have to have the ignition turned to be able to remove it. Tried doing a buddies old chevy truck. Got the wheel off and everything only to find out that most ignition assemblies have like a channel cut with corresponding teeth on the column that make you turn the ignition to remove it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts