Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog kept alive 6 months after supposed euthanization - Sun Sentinel

A Texas veterinarian is being investigated after a dog that was supposedly euthanized six months ago was found alive in a kennel surrounded by his own excrement being used to provide blood transfusions for other canines, NBC 5 reports.

The Harris family originally took their 5-year-old Leonberger named Sid to Camp Bowie Animal Clinic in Fort Worth, Texas for an anal gland issue in May 2013. Following cold laser treatment Sid was kept at the clinic for months, but his troubles only got worse.

Eventually Sid was no longer able to walk and the doctor said he discovered a congenital birth defect that would make recovery impossible.

Dr. Lou Tierce convinced the Harris family that euthanization was the best option. The family reluctantly agreed and allowed Tierce to bury their dog at his farm in October, according to a document given to NBC 5 by the family's lawyer.

This month the Harris' got a call from a veterinary technician at the clinic who said Sid was alive and kept in a kennel for 23.5 hours out of the day. Mary Brewer said she was scolded when she tried to walk and bathe the dog, even threatened. She also said Sid wasn't the only "euthanized" dog being kept alive to provide blood transfusions.

The Harris family went to the clinic and found Sid alive and able to walk, although he had mange and showed signs of kennel abuse and multiple blood transfusions, the TV station reports.

State and local authorities are now investigating.

Click here to read more on this story at NBCDFW.com.

·
Registered
700 Posts
There are not enough horrible words in any language to describe how I feel about it this... :bangdesk:mad::flipa:philb:hissy

All I can say, is thank heavens that poor dog was reunited with his family.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Yes, I'd be so pissed I can't say what I'd do publicly

I do wonder why nobody in the family stayed with the dog when he was put down (or not, in this case)

I do this for mine, it's the least I can do is to be t here for them

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
many families cannot handle being in the room and watching it happen.

that said. . .yep, pretty angering.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
A bunch of us on a LE K9 forum want to go beat the living shit out of this vet but we're afraid F4 will use it in the FTP section.

That said, I question why it took so long for this vet tech to do the right thing? Or any employee for that matter.
In this case I think it would stay out of the ftp forum.

as to what to do with the vet I think sending him to Okie to be a test subject for execution drugs would be a start.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
A bunch of us on a LE K9 forum want to go beat the living shit out of this vet but we're afraid F4 will use it in the FTP section.

That said, I question why it took so long for this vet tech to do the right thing? Or any employee for that matter.
\

ROFL. I'll give you a preemptive free pass on that one.

Hell, I'll join you!

What took the tech so long? The tech is now an "ex" employee. They wouldn't do the right thing while working there, probably only did it out of spite and maybe a little guilt

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
You guys should see the gas chamber they use on the poor things on YouTube. They pile a bunch of them in this tank close the lid and pump gas in. That's a legal thing supposedly. Worse than the holocaust if you ask me. You can hear all of them screaming as they die.

This is why I hope there is a hell. So people that do this can end up there

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I am sure that this will not go over so well, but....

A little backstory first. My wife works at one of the largest emergency vet hospitals in the country, and they dump massive amounts of money into their blood donor program. I mean every-time your dog gives blood, you get a long list of free shit (including food, heartworm preventer for a year, free annual exam, etc.). They have the money to do this, and they still have shortages in their blood bank. The local mom-and-pop veterinarian doesn't stand a chance and often times have no access to blood if they need a transfusion. These pets die on the table.

My point here is that if this dog's blood type was the more rare variety that is in demand and it was heavy enough (over 50lbs), I am sure that the doctor and his staff were able to rationalize away their behavior. In in some way, some small way, I can understand the intentions.

Someone said earlier that they didn't understand why the staff was silent and many current staff are remaining silent. It is because their intentions were good. In their mind they were doing more good than harm. Obviously, their execution sucked, and what they did was wrong without a doubt.

If nothing else, I hope this event sparks a discussion on pets giving blood. Most people never even consider that, like themselves, their pets are capable of giving blood. Blood that vet hospitals and clinics need, but can't get (at all, or in sufficient quantities).

Shades of gray.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Plus this dog was living in his own shit and piss with no exercise at all. No excuse for this at all. NONE.
Dogs all over the world live in similar or worse condition. Where is your blatant outrage, threats of violence, and disdain for their owners? At least other animals could benefit from this particular animals suffering, unlike the thousands of others that suffer with no positive benefit.

What the doctor did was wrong. Even if the dog was living in perfect conditions and being well taken care of, what he did was wrong. No argument from me on that front.

But I am not ready to string him up based on what we know from one disgruntled EX-employee.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
why not just ask the owners if it would be OK to keep the dog alive for a extra week for blood transfusions and make the dog comfortable

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
I am sure that this will not go over so well, but....

A little backstory first. My wife works at one of the largest emergency vet hospitals in the country, and they dump massive amounts of money into their blood donor program. I mean every-time your dog gives blood, you get a long list of free shit (including food, heartworm preventer for a year, free annual exam, etc.). They have the money to do this, and they still have shortages in their blood bank. The local mom-and-pop veterinarian doesn't stand a chance and often times have no access to blood if they need a transfusion. These pets die on the table.

My point here is that if this dog's blood type was the more rare variety that is in demand and it was heavy enough (over 50lbs), I am sure that the doctor and his staff were able to rationalize away their behavior. In in some way, some small way, I can understand the intentions.

Someone said earlier that they didn't understand why the staff was silent and many current staff are remaining silent. It is because their intentions were good. In their mind they were doing more good than harm. Obviously, their execution sucked, and what they did was wrong without a doubt.

If nothing else, I hope this event sparks a discussion on pets giving blood. Most people never even consider that, like themselves, their pets are capable of giving blood. Blood that vet hospitals and clinics need, but can't get (at all, or in sufficient quantities).

Shades of gray.
Shades of bullshart more likely. Moral equivalence rising.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Dogs all over the world live in similar or worse condition. Where is your blatant outrage, threats of violence, and disdain for their owners? At least other animals could benefit from this particular animals suffering, unlike the thousands of others that suffer with no positive benefit.

What the doctor did was wrong. Even if the dog was living in perfect conditions and being well taken care of, what he did was wrong. No argument from me on that front.

But I am not ready to string him up based on what we know from one disgruntled EX-employee.
the outrage is mostly due to the fact a vet is supposed to hold higher standards of morals about something like this. this behavior I would expect of a drug dealing thug breeding pit bulls. not a vet.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts

If I were to agree with you we'd both be wrong.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
To quote a favorite character of mine:
"Without condemning. . .nor condoning. . .I understand"

1 - 20 of 41 Posts