Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for making 2 or 3 threads already since buying my bike. However I have another question.

I park my bike under a car-port outside of my apartment, so it is outside with the elements and thieves, I have only had it for 3 days now, so I am really paranoid about someone stealing it.

Anyway, fast forward to this morning, I decided to start it up to let it run before the battery died on me (planned on moving it to a buddies garage friday morning while I was out of town on vacation)

Stick the key in, the key won't go all the way in. I think it may be frozen (it was 18 degrees all night) but after inspecting it with a flashlight up close, you can see one of the flaps beside the key "slit" is bubbled or bent, so I can assume at some point a screwdriver was used int the ignition slot. I eventually got the key in and the bike started (after using de-icer) however the top part where you put the key in will "free spin". What I mean by this is, I can put the key in 1 or 2 milimeters and turn the metal piece and key slit around in circles, having to align the key up with the correct position of the grooves to engange the key all the way in.

Obviously this is not intended correct? I can then safely assume that previously or while it sat outside my apartment someone tried to steal this bike by attempting to unlock the wheel lock mecahnism? Sorry if this question seems ridiculous, just wanting some input from people who may be familiar with this.

·
CCS# 616
915 Posts
Don't park your bike outside, it will get stolen. Not a question of if, just a question of when.

Roll it into your living room if you have to.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Don't park your bike outside, it will get stolen. Not a question of if, just a question of when.

Roll it into your living room if you have to.
Uh-huh. Sure.

Must suck being paranoid.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well I live in a small town with little to no crime, and when my first bike was attempted stolen, the sheriffs deputy who took the report says "this sort of thing just doesn't happen here"

It was parked in my driveway. The next week I bought a shed for it.

My SV650 ignition does the same thing the OP is complaining of. It is sort of annoying, but mainly because I don't have any light in the shed, and I leave before dawn.

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
That indentation is normal, too. Notice how there are no scratches on the lock.

However, you should be aware that wherever you go, someone is following you - JUST outside your view. If you whirl around really quickly at random moments you may catch them.

KeS
You're an asshole. LOL!

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
Uh-huh. Sure.

Must suck being paranoid.
Fact of life here in much of the United States.

A guy I know lives out on a country road. He always left his Harley parked outside. He doesn't have a Harley anymore, and it isn't because he sold or crashed it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
tip for not getting stuff stolen. have nothing of value.
i have lived with, crack addicts, meth heads, drunks, and pot heads.
the only stuff i have had stolen is food (all the fucking time) and a cooking pot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts