Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it matter if I'm running two different sets(brands) of tires on the bike. I have stock tires on my 04 R6, but just got a flat in the rear this past weekend. I was thinking about going with the Pilot Powers and keeping the front stock. Everywhere I call people are giving me prices as a set, because I should buy them as a set?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would recommend buying front and rear tires as a set since different brands may use different profiles when they make the tires. The different profiles may give you adverse handling since the contact patch of the tires would vary. Stick to keeping the tires matched.
Shane

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I've heard we should keep them matched, since the profiles mentioned above can differ, and also that the tread patterns work together to keep any water out of your path..

BUT!!! I cant justify spending and extra $130 for a front tire when it still has LOTS of meat left, and all I need is a rear.. I only buy one tire at a time, but I keep them the same tire. (Dunlop D208). I have never mixed brands or tread patterns before, so I dont know how that will affect you.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
i have ran dunlops and metzlers...no problems

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I prefer to run the same tires all the time, as the others have said different tires can have different profiles and affect the handling.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Hmm... I'm going to be the first one to tell you know. I've read several articles and I think the general consensus is that because of the different tire compounds and treads, prob. a bad idea. Esp. due to differences in compounds. They'll heat up and cool differently and that can result in a loss of traction. Sorry, not my own opinon, I know little about the topic, but this is just what I've read a few times.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you have the money to replace both tires at the same time, it would be your best bet. I have had two different tires on some of my older bikes and never really had a problem. I don't think you are truly putting yourself in danger if you have different tires. I believe the amount of tread left on your tires is really what's important. Just my $.02

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Not much. There is really no practical reason why you can't mismatch tires from the same basic traction class. Of course, you always run the tiny risk that the tires won't work well together, but your risk is really nonexistent.

Why don't you buy the rear, try it, and if for any reason you are not satisfied, then buy the front that matches. I'm betting my dollar that you'll mount the rear tire and never look back.

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
I've run Diablo rear and dunlop 208 front on my 2004 R6 and it was good in all but the hardest twisty riding and even then I could still have fun if I backed off a bit This saved me an extra $130. I now have matching power pilots and the handling is much better. Those tires together give much better traction than my mixed combo. \

To answer your question, you can do it and if you just ride around town I recomend it. If you like to ride really hard corners I would go ahead and get matching PPs.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Well, now I can try it myself.. Got a nail in my rear tire this week.. Just had to buy a new one.. I have a Dunlop 208 in front, and I just got a Pilot Power for the rear.
Best thing is I got the Pilot Power for $102 installed.. Found a guy that owns this shop, and he buys thrashed bikes for parts.. Had a brand new R6 in there, 800 miles... Had pilot powers, carbon fiber canister, couple other things, and the owner wadded his bike on the new skins (mold coating).. So I have a NEW USED Pilot Power for $90.. HAHA

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
don't recommend running 2 diff manuf tires.........different profiles

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
Well, now I can try it myself.. Got a nail in my rear tire this week.. Just had to buy a new one.. I have a Dunlop 208 in front, and I just got a Pilot Power for the rear.
Best thing is I got the Pilot Power for $102 installed.. Found a guy that owns this shop, and he buys thrashed bikes for parts.. Had a brand new R6 in there, 800 miles... Had pilot powers, carbon fiber canister, couple other things, and the owner wadded his bike on the new skins (mold coating).. So I have a NEW USED Pilot Power for $90.. HAHA
Great steal, very thrifty. :idea

·
Registered
29 Posts
When the rear wore out on my old BMW K100, I replaced the old Conti-tour with a ME880, and had no problems, then replaced both with ME880's when I wore out that next rear. On my new BMW K1200S, I just replaced the Bridgestone Battlax rear with a Metzeler Sportech M1, keeping the Bridgestone front. On any of these occasions, I've noticed no problems in handling or resposiveness, although I probably don't push the limits like some others might.

Just from my limited experience...

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
i run mis matched tires all day, no problems. you'll be fine, a lot of the guys on here wont ride if their undies dont match their paint job. :rolleyes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts