Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another nub question for yall. I found a 675 special edition today but it had been dropped at a stop light. Caused some cosmetic damage but the owner had everything repaired perfectly. If i purchase the bike (clean title) does it affect what resale i can get out of the bike? it is now in immaculate condition and its a 2008 with only 275 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
If its repaired and the condition is 'as new' I cant see how the resale would be affected.

Its the old chicken vs egg argument, the resale of a bike will drop the moment you start riding it, stone chips, wear and tear all affect resale...so what do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO?

Do you buy it, add the bike to your profile, take a nice avatar pic and then garage it? or do you ride it and worry about resale at a later stage?

·
Shut the **** up and ride
5,031 Posts
cars and bikes are not investments, screw resale.
+1...yet alot of people seem to wanna get the most money for their used motorcycles.

just buy the damn thing. if it was just "dropped", and everything replaced and looks good, then it should be fine.

ride it and maintain it, and thats all you need to do.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
^^^ Words of wisdom right there...

Let me ask this, if he had an engine problem and as a result the owner had it professionaly removed and replaced with another brand new engine, would you have worries? The answer is probably not as long as it ran like new.

If the bike looks like new because the parts have been replaced, same deal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it is what you want and the price is right then enjoy and worry about the resale value when its time to resale.

"Ride Hard-Ride Smart"

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
If you don't open your mouth and tell the next guy the fascinating story of how the previous owner damaged the bike, how will he know?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Let me ask this, if he had an engine problem and as a result the owner had it professionaly removed and replaced with another brand new engine, would you have worries? The answer is probably not as long as it ran like new.

If the bike looks like new because the parts have been replaced, same deal.
Not really. Once you modify or change anything in a vehicle/bike from stock, it decreases its value. In regards to replacing the engine with a new one, its questionable since it broke the first time, who knows when it'll break again? You never know what else could go wrong with it. just my 2cents.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
its questionable since it broke the first time, who knows when it'll break again? You never know what else could go wrong with it. just my 2cents.
lol wut

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i've also gotten the advice here that the bike is straight. it was some simple cosmetic damage and the original owner had it all fixed until spotless. no motor or frame damage. but yeah the price is way right....8600 for a 2008 daytona 675 special edition. it has 275 miles...yes still way in break in...haha. thanks for all of the replies.

·
Just Kiss The Tip
3,017 Posts
I like the answers along the lines of screw resale...

...even dealers know they are getting crap for the first 5 used bikes that sit in front of the show room. I mean buy a bike and ride it b/c you bought...not b/c what you could possibly get "after" you ride it.

I ride with a guy now who keeps saying as soon as x,y,z happens I am going to sell this bike. He won't ride it unless it's sunny out, and his reasoning is to keep up the value.....

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
cars and bikes are not investments, screw resale.
ride the wheels off them, deal with the consequences later. Think of it this way - if you can ride it sooo much that the resale is crap later - just be glad you got a ton of miles out of it w/o totalling it!

·
Part 3 begins
3,660 Posts
i've also gotten the advice here that the bike is straight. it was some simple cosmetic damage and the original owner had it all fixed until spotless. no motor or frame damage. but yeah the price is way right....8600 for a 2008 daytona 675 special edition. it has 275 miles...yes still way in break in...haha. thanks for all of the replies.
IF its just cosmetic, it looks like these kinda bikes are the way to go...brand new practically, and a hell of a lot off of MSRP just cuz someone crashed it and got scared

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the answers along the lines of screw resale...

...even dealers know they are getting crap for the first 5 used bikes that sit in front of the show room. I mean buy a bike and ride it b/c you bought...not b/c what you could possibly get "after" you ride it.

I ride with a guy now who keeps saying as soon as x,y,z happens I am going to sell this bike. He won't ride it unless it's sunny out, and his reasoning is to keep up the value.....

I totally agree with this statement. I do plan on riding the shit out of it since i live in florida. in the end. thanks man

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
i am going to do it.

so are you planning on this being your first bike?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i am going to do it.

so are you planning on this being your first bike?
well i bought the bike today, but it is not my first bike. had an 05 ninja 500 and rode a 96 harley soft for a couple hundred miles. got two seasons and about 6,000 miles under my belt with the ninja. I felt ready for an upgrade and this was an awesome one!!!

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
well i bought the bike today, but it is not my first bike. had an 05 ninja 500 and rode a 96 harley soft for a couple hundred miles. got two seasons and about 6,000 miles under my belt with the ninja. I felt ready for an upgrade and this was an awesome one!!!
well that's good, but 6000 miles is really nothing, especially if you live in florida.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well that's good, but 6000 miles is really nothing, especially if you live in florida.
i dont know what to say to that...but ok. i mean im sure that your resume is filled with way more motorcycle related stuff than mine and with that your knowledge is appreciated. but there is a lot of discussion on here about what is a good starter bike and what isnt. there really is no good conclusion to that argument just like "is sarah palin the hottest politician from the coolest state?" What i can tell you about me is that i fly million dollar aircraft for the military for a living. So though i enjoy riding a motorcycle, i dont have to waste my time pushing the limits trying to get the most adrenaline out of a ride. Sure its great to hit some twistys now and again, but a 6 g pull is way more fun at 30,000 ft. So if you're questioning my level of experience on a motorcycle good on you. but we all have to start somewhere, and i rode the shit out of a 500. Now its time for the sex appeal and showing off the looks of a nice bike at bike nights. Too many guys on this forum will back me up...i dont have to drag knees just to buzz around town. more power to ya if you can put on a full leather suit in 90 degree weather and push yourself around a track at 100+ miles an hour. But im 22, i have a physics degree, a job that pays, and a family to think about. thanks for your concern.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
i dont know what to say to that...but ok. i mean im sure that your resume is filled with way more motorcycle related stuff than mine and with that your knowledge is appreciated. but there is a lot of discussion on here about what is a good starter bike and what isnt. there really is no good conclusion to that argument just like "is sarah palin the hottest politician from the coolest state?" What i can tell you about me is that i fly million dollar aircraft for the military for a living. So though i enjoy riding a motorcycle, i dont have to waste my time pushing the limits trying to get the most adrenaline out of a ride. Sure its great to hit some twistys now and again, but a 6 g pull is way more fun at 30,000 ft. So if you're questioning my level of experience on a motorcycle good on you. but we all have to start somewhere, and i rode the shit out of a 500. Now its time for the sex appeal and showing off the looks of a nice bike at bike nights. Too many guys on this forum will back me up...i dont have to drag knees just to buzz around town. more power to ya if you can put on a full leather suit in 90 degree weather and push yourself around a track at 100+ miles an hour. But im 22, i have a physics degree, a job that pays, and a family to think about. thanks for your concern.
if you are trying to impress me with the multi-million dollar flight skills, it wont work, i live down the street from Ellsworth AFB, and deal with many young men, not all of them, but many that think they are top dog in all aspects of life. So now you are making it sound like the bike is just an extension of your penis, much like most of the young men, the ones that are proven immature at Ellsworth. Like i said 6000 miles is not alot, and trying to impress people in parking lots at bike night is to me and many other members on this forum classified as being a poser. so please dont brag about your accomplishments outside of riding trying to impress people or justify your lack of riding. most of us here are here to ride and ride only.

Reactions: velophile
1 - 20 of 22 Posts