Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a leather riding jacket that I like the looks of by FirstGear called the Speed Freek. Was wondering if anyone has had experience wearing their stuff and could recommend them or not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
you might want to try posting in the gear forum for sbn, you might get more hits since it branches to other bikes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
RBC827 said:
There is a leather riding jacket that I like the looks of by FirstGear called the Speed Freek. Was wondering if anyone has had experience wearing their stuff and could recommend them or not.

Thanks.
I have had their mesh jackets before...and gloves. Both were great but their sizes tend to run a little small. I had to go a size up on both. I haven't had the speed freek but the other stuff I have seen of these is pretty good.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the HT overpants and Voyager II jacket. I wear these in the colder weather and am very pleased with both items. I don't think they make the Voyager anymore. I think firstgear has a pretty stand-up rep in the biz.

·
Speedbump
226 Posts
I've got the Speed Freak (Silver). It's a good quality item - made really well. Their sizes do run a little small, I suggest trying it on (on bike) before buying.

I've also got one of their leather Mesh-Tex jackets (silver) for the really hot days. I would say their quality and durability is very good. I would put them above Joe Rocket, for example. I believe the Speed Freak has a 10 yr warranty.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have their Diablo jacket, Flightline pants and their gloves also. Nice stuff - and prices were great on all these items mostly on clearance from Newenough. I agree about the FG gloves being a bit tight fitting.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill_B said:
I've got the Speed Freak (Silver). It's a good quality item - made really well. Their sizes do run a little small, I suggest trying it on (on bike) before buying.

I've also got one of their leather Mesh-Tex jackets (silver) for the really hot days. I would say their quality and durability is very good. I would put them above Joe Rocket, for example. I believe the Speed Freak has a 10 yr warranty.
What size jacket do you wear? I tried on an AlpineStars jacket yesterday and found that the 44 was a bit tight and the 46 was just a little loose.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gtfazer6 said:
you might want to try posting in the gear forum for sbn, you might get more hits since it branches to other bikes.

Haven't you noticed that the FZ6 forum is larger than all the rest put together? If I couldn't find my answer here, then I wouldn't find anywhere else on SBN.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've had their mesh jacket for three years now, and I'm really happy with it. It's held up pretty well, though the inside pocket is fraying a little around the edges (I use it all the time).

I don't know if they still do, but they made tall sizes at the time, which was a big plus for me. I'm 6' 0" and 195 lbs and their large-tall jacket fits perfectly. I'm fairly slim in the waist, though, so if you've got more belly I'd suggest a larger size. The tall size gives me a little more length in the torso and arms, making for a nice fit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CerebralAssassin said:
Sorry to be off topic, but do you have the LSL street bar in aluminum, steel or stainless??
It's Aluminum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would put them above Joe Rocket, for example. I believe the Speed Freak has a 10 yr warranty.

I agree. I think Firstgear is a bit better than JR, although I own some JR stuff too.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I bought a FirstGear jacket about 11 or 12 years ago. It's a great jacket and held up really well. I still have it and I'd still be wearing it now, but I became a victim of the late-thirties and I don't fit into it anymore :lao

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the information. I think I will buy this jacket before my next trip into the hills.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one of the First Gear Mesh jackets for sale if you are looking to buy one. In the classifieds section.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a JR mesh jacket for short commuting. I want a nice leather one for the hills and colder days when they come.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I just looked up the Speed Freak jacket online, nice jacket! It has the option of becoming a track suit with the addition of the matching leather pants:

http://www.newenough.com/package_deal_speed_freak_pilot.htm

If you're looking for something similar for a little less $, check out Tourmaster's Magnum jacket (also has a zip-together pant option - Apex leather pants):

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_cortech_magnum_jacket_page.htm

I've got the Tourmaster jacket, and I love it. It's not quite as flashy as the Firstgear, but it works very well (lots of vents and a zip-in liner) and seems really durable. I plan to have it for years to come.

You should be able to pick it up for around $200. I should mention, it runs a little small (a trend with armor-containing leather jackets?), so you should order a size up from what you'd normally wear.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When I bought my FZ6 in April, I got some gear from NewEnough.com at the same time. My Harley cruiser gear would be a real fashion faux pas on the Fizzer. One of the things I bought was a FG "Speed" jacket (not "Speed Freak") on closeout. I think it was left over (discontinued) from the '04 season. Anyway, it's a first rate jacket, textile with leather overlays on the armor points. Plenty of pockets and ventilation. Everything I've seen or heard about First Gear indicates it's top notch stuff.

·
Speedbump
226 Posts
RBC827 said:
What size jacket do you wear? I tried on an AlpineStars jacket yesterday and found that the 44 was a bit tight and the 46 was just a little loose.
I've got a 42, but I'm of the short, stocky kind, so the chest is a wee tight while the arms a tad long.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts