Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about this as my next mod but hoping to find a better price on this one or even find another brand for our bike. I like the matris steering damper too but for the money, I'd prefer to start doing some suspension improvements first. If you have the ohlin's or have heard of another, please let me know. Price and source if so.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Suspension stuff

Has anyone modified their FZ6 suspension yet?

I'd like to eventually make some suspension mods to my bike. I believe that the normal route is cartridge emulators up front, and replacement of the rear shock, right? I have no intentions of getting a steering damper unless I notice headshake when I finally get the FZ6 on the track.

As for the Ohlins shock, I noticed that it doens't come up on the www.kneedraggers.com website anymore when you search by bike for the FZ6. I wonder what's up with that?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
FAZR6 said:
I'm thinking about this as my next mod but hoping to find a better price on this one or even find another brand for our bike. I like the matris steering damper too but for the money, I'd prefer to start doing some suspension improvements first. If you have the ohlin's or have heard of another, please let me know. Price and source if so.

Try either Works or Wilbers. The Wilbers is the better of the two. Some consider the Wilbers as good as the Ohlins. And for a "Money Is No Object" shock option, there is Penske. The best money can buy. Figure the minimum prive for one of these is $1000.

http://www.wilbersusa.com/

http://www.worksperformance.com/

Both are cheaper than the Ohlins.

I had a Works shock on my BMW 88 K100RS and a Wilburs pair (front and rear) on my BMW R1100RS.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Make sure you order the shock for your bike with the correct spring for your weight. If they don't ask, I would not buy it. Ohlins is very good but I prefer Penske. Easier to adjust spring pre load and excellent factory support, PA I believe. Traxxion and GMD both recommend them. They have some models around $850. You get what you pay for in a shock for a sport bike!

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
ssallber said:
Make sure you order the shock for your bike with the correct spring for your weight. If they don't ask, I would not buy it. Ohlins is very good but I prefer Penske. Easier to adjust spring pre load and excellent factory support, PA I believe. Traxxion and GMD both recommend them. They have some models around $850. You get what you pay for in a shock for a sport bike!

Both Wilbers and Works will ask you how much you weigh, how much your passenger weighs and how much your luggage weighs to determine the proper spring rate.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
personally I would swap the front first, and get some adjustment, I have been even considering checking on if the R6 or other YAM would work.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Cavi said:
personally I would swap the front first, and get some adjustment, I have been even considering checking on if the R6 or other YAM would work.
hehe.. I had exactly the same thoughts... I went to 2 Yamaha dealers and a local tune/tweak shop to see if an R1 or R6 (preferably R1) front end would bolt into the FZ6 triple clamp or if the whole front end including triple clamp would swap in and clear the fairing. They don't know. The best I got was common sense "measure and see". In the meantime, I'm going to have a racetech upgrade done, hopefully that'll make it a bit better, lose some of that horrid front end dive. If I find anything out, I'll be sure to post it here.
happy riding~

·
mmmm FZ6 N(aked)
60 Posts
I put Eibach springs on the front end, the difference is amazing!! Dive is almost gone and the handling is great!!!! Best AUD$200 I ever spent (including labour and oil)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I checked out the Eibach website and those springs look really excellent. This is a bit off subject since the posting started on Ohlins shocks, but how did you get hooked up with a set of these?? The website shows nothing for the FZ6. Did you change anything else in the fork internals others than the springs??

·
mmmm FZ6 N(aked)
60 Posts
In my case I was actually going to get a set of racetech springs from a local suspension place, but the guy there kept insisting that I spend another $400 and get the valves done as well. So my uncle recommended another place who had done all of his dirt bikes (they do roughly 70% mx/dirtbikes and 30% race/street bikes). The springs that they supply just happened to be Eibach, which at that point I had never heard of though subsequent googling has indicated that they are a very decent set of springs. I think with the oil they just replaced it for a better brand then OEM, I think they kept the same grade. It was too easy, I basically dropped off the bike on Tue morning and picked it up wed afternoon, they ended up filling the forks with 10W oil to a level of 110 mm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts