Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm on the street, I can't seem to get my bike leaned over worth a damn, I mean, I know I could do it, but all I can think about is some obstacle, sand, water, oil, antifreeze, rocks, stopped cars, etc at the other side of the curve and it just blocks me.

As soon as I hit the track I'm dragging my knee around every corner easily, so it's not a lack of skills, just maybe too much common sense. Anyone else have this "problem"?

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Nope.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a possibility, but that still doesn't account for animals and traffic, maybe I'm just scared.

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
Meh2u said:
That's a possibility, but that still doesn't account for animals and traffic, maybe I'm just scared.

Or smart

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Well there are a bunch of people that only ride on the track. If you are that worried about crashing all the time that you can't enjoy the ride, maybe you should do the same.

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Why are you worried about it? If you know you can do it on the track and have some skills then why does it matter if you can or can't get your knee on the ground during street riding situations. Who are you trying to impress? It's smarter not to ride to the limits when there are potential unpredictable hazards as in everyday street riding.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
A good rule on the street is not to out-ride your sight. In other words, if you can't stop the bike, if necessary, in the distance you can see, you're going too fast. Being able to see includes any potential road hazards like you mentioned. That's not a "problem", it's common sense. You never know when there might be a loose refrigerator or an RV making a U-turn just around that blind turn.

·
Registered
426 Posts
meh I think your just smarter then most people. The street is differently not the place to drag knees or anything else.

Though I have been guilty of it from time to time though. It's not smart to do though. The track should be the only place you should do that. It's the only place you know there are no cars, debris, sand, or oil on the track. Also if you do wreck out not to much is going to kill you in the ways of cars and curbs among other things.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not trying to impress anyone, I just hate when people think I just started riding because I can't get rid of my "chicken" strips on the street.

It's not really a big deal, I only have about 1100 miles so far, and when I am taking corners hard I'm off my bike so it's not leaning as much as most riders who stay in one position. I tend to come in slow and once I see the exit is clear apex early and then lean it harder.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Meh2u said:
I'm not trying to impress anyone, I just hate when people think I just started riding because I can't get rid of my "chicken" strips on the street.

It's not really a big deal, I only have about 1100 miles so far, and when I am taking corners hard I'm off my bike so it's not leaning as much as most riders who stay in one position. I tend to come in slow and once I see the exit is clear apex early and then lean it harder.
Well they dont call em chicken strips for nuttin. You are chicken, you are admitting it right here, chicken to go out on the street. Nuttin wrong with that, the chickens that last longer are the smart ones, but eventually all chickens end up being fried...yum yum KFC here I come!

·
Registered
646 Posts
And, no.

·
Twitter @eloquenceinc
1,733 Posts
Meh2u said:
When I'm on the street, I can't seem to get my bike leaned over worth a damn, I mean, I know I could do it, but all I can think about is some obstacle, sand, water, oil, antifreeze, rocks, stopped cars, etc at the other side of the curve and it just blocks me.

As soon as I hit the track I'm dragging my knee around every corner easily, so it's not a lack of skills, just maybe too much common sense. Anyone else have this "problem"?
Yes, but not for leaning, i haven't been going fast enough in traffic to lean that far anyway, but once i learned that getting chicken midlean is what will make the bike slide out, i make myself hold throttle or give it more throttle...

you probly talking about taking high speed corners though...when i was in a car i practiced slowly pushing my comfort envelope until i could take sharp on and off ramps without turning into Driving Miss Daisy...i guess it'll be the same concept with my bike...slowly push my envelope...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brownilus said:
Yes, but not for leaning, i haven't been going fast enough in traffic to lean that far anyway, but once i learned that getting chicken midlean is what will make the bike slide out, i make myself hold throttle or give it more throttle...

you probly talking about taking high speed corners though...when i was in a car i practiced slowly pushing my comfort envelope until i could take sharp on and off ramps without turning into Driving Miss Daisy...i guess it'll be the same concept with my bike...slowly push my envelope...
I know what my limits are and for the most part what the limits of my bikes are, the main problem is I don't come in fast enough, I guess it's not really a problem if I ride fast on the track.

I'm gonna head to Second Creek Raceway for the first time on my 636 this thursday hopefully. I'll have some video for you guys if I do. Anyone know how I can mount a camcorder to my handlebars without buying a mount?

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Well if you call that a problem, I'd say that it's a good problem to have. In the long run it'll keep you alive! :dblthumb

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jake said:
Well if you call that a problem, I'd say that it's a good problem to have. In the long run it'll keep you alive! :dblthumb

Yeah it just kinda prevents me from having a lot of fun on the street, but to me it's not worth the risk, to some people it is, I guess I just have different priorities.

·
Pro Bike Theft Victim
1,088 Posts
Jake said:

yes very true!!! It will keep you riding for a long time !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts