Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an '08 Bandit.
I let go of my handle bar with both hands to zip up my jacket and they started wobbling back and forth like crazy. I was going about 40 mph. I'm just curious, does yours do that? Does it have something to do with the inline 4? I can't recall my '94 Magna doing this.

I have only had the bike for 30 days. The tires are brand new.
On a side note, there is no wobble at 70 mph.
-Mark

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mostly this is just about tire wear. Front tires tend to cup when you brake into corners and over time the wear pattern ends up with high/low wear along tread blocks. Run your fingers over the tread just off centerline of the front tire. If you feel or see the front edge of the thread block higher or lower than the rear of the next tread block, that is cupping. You don't need to toss the tire until it's worn out, but it will cause bar wobble with no hands.

Things that cause/accelerate cupping wear are braking into corners and low tire pressure. Some tires just cup no matter what. Most tires cup a little over their life span. You can never completely eliminate this type of wear, but once it's gotten bad, there is no way to correct it or keep it from continuing to get worse.

Other, less likely possibilities are loose steering head bearings, but they have to be really loose before you notice it so quickly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. The tires are 30 days old. Do you think it could still happen that quick?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok. The tires are 30 days old. Do you think it could still happen that quick?
Depends. I've seen tires cup in a single ride because tire pressure was too low and it was a twisty goat trail of a road. What pressures are you running front and rear? edit - Just as important, how many miles are the tires?

Another thought, what tires are on the bike. Some tires just exhibit a wobble with no hands at certain speeds. Mostly very low and gone by 40 mph, but tread design plays a part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is an '08 Bandit.
I let go of my handle bar with both hands to zip up my jacket and they started wobbling back and forth like crazy. I was going about 40 mph. I'm just curious, does yours do that? Does it have something to do with the inline 4? I can't recall my '94 Magna doing this.

I have only had the bike for 30 days. The tires are brand new.
On a side note, there is no wobble at 70 mph.
-Mark
Many things will do that and for different reasons. Tires would be the first which everybody checks, but you say that your tires are 30 days old (new), which makes things a bit easyer; did it wobble before the tire change? The answer will point or not to the tires. Clarify that first. Next; check your front brakes for uneven pressure and by such I mean to ask if you notice any pads touching the rotors on one side and on the other less... That is something people usually miss... Next: Forks! Even or uneven ... And I could keep on going, but you need to eliminate one by one before it's becoming a class... (LOL)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I bought this bike 30 days ago and it had brand new tires on it. So I don’t know how it acted with the old tires.
All of this doesn’t really matter right now because I was in a wreck yesterday. Someone sideswiped me and knocked me off the bike. The bike might be totaled but I have to wait until the insurance company looks at it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I should get to go home from the hospital today.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Best wishes on a full recovery and no complications for body or machine. Bikes can be fixed or replaced. The Bandit is a nice bike, but these days plastic damage alone can total a bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I loved that bike. They are keeping me one more night to manage my pain and get my blood pressure down. Thanks for the well wishes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I loved that bike. They are keeping me one more night to manage my pain and get my blood pressure down. Thanks for the well wishes.
BTDT, just a data point, if you leave with Oxy or any opiate for pain, take them if you have to, but also take a magnesium supplement. The opiates cause constipation on a level you do NOT want to experience when it goes a bit too far. Not to be too graphic, but I'm talking about movements that are too big to flush and are about as hard to pass as a kidney stone. You don't want to experience this first hand. The magnesium will help that a lot. You can get them at any drug store, Walmart, etc. I used to buy the big bottles at Costco or Sams club for GP use. Try stepping down to Advil or Tylenol, which ever you prefer, as soon as possible. I really like a cocktail of one Aleve and two Advil for bed time if I have serious pain. The Advil is an anti inflammatory and faster acting, and the Aleve is naproxin and lasts 12 hours so I stay asleep or can drop back off if I wake up to use the can. Note that both of those are hard on the stomach, so don't take them on empty.

Heal up, follow any PT orders they give and get back to pre-crash condition. Plenty of time to shop for a new bike or worry about the one you have if it doesn't get totaled.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very good advice. Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts