Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys.. Im a new rider and i was wondering if you guys or girls use your turn signals or hand signals or you just dont signal at all. which method do you use?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Stay alive... if you have signals on your bike use them. Not signaling a turn is a sure way to have the 2 ton SUV driving too close to you up your ass.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
neutom72 said:
Stay alive... if you have signals on your bike use them. Not signaling a turn is a sure way to have the 2 ton SUV driving too close to you up your ass.
Nailed it...I like to tap the brake a few times to make it flash and draw attention before starting to fully brake, also...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Alot of car drivers can barely give enough attention to notice you are there, do you think they will notice or understand hand signals? I always use the turn signals.

·
Registered
584 Posts
always. Turn signals are my pet-peve. If I was a cop, I'd issue the biggest fines for not using the blinkers (than for speeding in safe manner)

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I always use my turn signals. Seems to be a habit whether Im in my car or on the bike. They are always used....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Always turn signals.

Most cagers don't realize what you're doing when you use hand signals, and using hand signals takes one of your hands off your handlebars at a critical location - an intersection.

If you install aftermarket turn signals, remember that the less noticeable they are on your bike (ie. mini's, flush mounts, etc.) the less noticeable they are to other motorists.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
i always use my signals, however lately i can't get my right signal to work, so i use hand signals... most people don't even notice and think i am waving at them or something when i am turning right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Always use turn signals. Hardly anyone can read what you want to do. It also seems more polite to change lanes with your turn signal. People will actually slow down for you to come in, whereas if you just took it, they might get on your arse.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Filip75 said:
always. Turn signals are my pet-peve. If I was a cop, I'd issue the biggest fines for not using the blinkers (than for speeding in safe manner)
+1

Think of it this way...how much do you hate it when someone in their car changes lanes without signaling? Not to mention, don't most states have laws requiring signalling a lane change?

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I turn I use my Turn signals Double Distance before the turn, then Mirror Check, Head check, Double Mirror Check, Then Turn. Same goes for changing lanes. It's such a habbit. I even use my Signals on Large Sweping Corners. :nuts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I use my turn signals because they work. :D

On my last two bikes my turn signals didn't work. :(

·
Registered
569 Posts
Oh, and at stop lights where nobody has yet settled in behind me sometimes I throw on the turn signal and I'll pump the rear brake so I've got as many flashing lights as possible going on behind me to get people's attention.

·
Registered
981 Posts
i use signals when changing lanes. i also swing my head complete behind me to check to make sure the lanes clear. it also lets me see where that driver is looking (if i turn around enough). when im slowing for a stop, im now in a habbit of pumping the front brake twice, then slowing. so hopefully those 2 flashes will make the guy behind me pay more attention.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Oh, and at stop lights where nobody has yet settled in behind me sometimes I throw on the turn signal and I'll pump the rear brake so I've got as many flashing lights as possible going on behind me to get people's attention.
My Sprint actually has hazard lights. I occasionally turn them on if it I'm sitting at a light and somebody is coming up quickly.

Back the the original question. I always use the turn signals.

I ride with a guy who pulled his signals off because "they were ugly." I was following him one day on an unfamiliar road, and he was pointing all over the place. When we stopped, I asked him why he wasn't using normal hand signals, and he told me he didn't know there were official hand signals. He'll probably get hit one day.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts