Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here feeling sick after a miserable freezing cold 30 minute ride yesterday in a slushy rain sleet mix in completely inadequate gear (weather channel LIED), I recall that I did not shiver. Thinking back I never shiver on the bike, no matter how cold. Is that normal? or am I defective. I also didn't feel bad enough to think I should pull over but when I got home my hands were sticky feeling and sluggish, legs tingly, and ears numb (was above freezing so frost burn impossible).

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
As I sit here feeling sick after a miserable freezing cold 30 minute ride yesterday in a slushy rain sleet mix in completely inadequate gear (weather channel LIED), I recall that I did not shiver. Thinking back I never shiver on the bike, no matter how cold. Is that normal? or am I defective. I also didn't feel bad enough to think I should pull over but when I got home my hands were sticky feeling and sluggish, legs tingly, and ears numb (was above freezing so frost burn impossible).
Funny, my wife describes those same exact symptoms when its "that" time of the month.:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
869 Posts
Peculiar question, but usually, no.

It's strange. Sometimes it's so cold out that going out feels like a drag. You know, no matter the clothes, you are going to be a little cold, at least some of the time. And if I feel a little weak, like the start of a cold, it sucks. However, on the bike I'm never that cold, and my breathing feels better, and I end up feeling stronger.

Might sound strange, but it has helped a LOT with my seasonal allergies. I just don't get the days I'm riding more. :)

On the one hand, it sure has to do with the same things that happen when you do some light excersise and you feel better from a cold, but more generally, I think this man's theory makes a lot of sense to me, check it out: Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - Coast to Coast (and back) on a Panigale

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
I have shivered from being cold and wet, but if it's dry, I usually only shiver once I am off the bike. Also, if I am sick, riding makes me feel instantly better and any symptoms go away while I am on the bike. I always thought it was the adrenalin that caused that.

·
Introvert
329 Posts
I've noticed that I didn't shiver the one time I got stuck in 30 something degree weather without adequate gear. I noticed myself going numb in a few places, like fingertips, but there was really no shivering. I had my liner in my jacket, so my body was nice and warm, but my legs were pretty cold with only jeans. I try to avoid riding in temperatures that cold if at all possible.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
41 degrees spotty drizzle, Ted Nugent Cat scratch fever. Light the A$$ on fire ride. Course I Had my electrics on, MAKES ALL the difference in the world!

I too once froze the A$$ routinally, nothing like being 150 mile out and having hypothermia set in, makes for a miserable ride home.

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
Yes, I have. Usually at the end of a long day in the saddle (500+ miles) and it being under 40 degrees. At 10 to 15 degrees higher if it's raining.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have shivered from being cold and wet, but if it's dry, I usually only shiver once I am off the bike. Also, if I am sick, riding makes me feel instantly better and any symptoms go away while I am on the bike. I always thought it was the adrenalin that caused that.
You described it better than me :D

I'd guess dopamine has more to do with the latter; riding just -chemically, biologically, naturally- makes me feel good.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The only time I've shivered on the bike was riding from Norfolk back to Philadelphia and it was 8 deg F outside. Was cold enough that I stopped at every rest area to put my helmet under the electric hand drier. My eyes hurt from the cold radiating from the faceshield!!!! I didn't have any electric gear, just thinsulate stuff. Got home and my chest and stomach were blue and gray :( I wouldn't trade that day though, I felt good knowing I hacked some uncomfortable weather.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
^ I get the same feeling riding in bad weather (thunderstorms, cold temps). And while I am out in it, I always think about how good a hot shower is going to feel when I get home. :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
hmmm, interesting question.... i went for a ride yesterday to get some shopping done. well, it was high 30s low 40's, had my electric gear just in case. well, did fine there and back, BUT when i stopped at Lowe's, met a new rider and while shooting the shit, i actually started shivering standing there after talking for probably 20-30mins. WTF? i think i may have shivered in the past, but not sure... if i start shivering, i'm going inside quick cause that isn't a good sign. just me.

on a sidenote, i hardy ever trust the weather forecasters.... i take what they say and make it worse than it is so i'm prepared in case it does get worse.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
Not shivering is fine. Shivering is annoying, but also fine. It's when you stop shivering despite the fact that you haven't started warming up yet that you have to worry.

Reactions: uncalcetindelana
1 - 20 of 35 Posts