Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've stuck myself with the same old tire indecisiveness that it seems like a lot of people have. If the roads matched the way I like to ride, then I'd get Diablo Corsas or P.P.'s without a doubt. However, most of the roads around here are flat and straight with curves being few and far between. Therefore, I am in favor of trying the Z6 because I'm almost 99% certain it will have more than enough grip for me, and I've heard nobody say anything bad about them. The one thing that is holding me back though, is that these are not like a slick for racing where you would use them for a weekend and then get something different if you don't want it. Money is a big consideration to me b/c I had to do everything short of selling my soul to the devil just to get this bike and my new gear, so I have to make the tires last when I get them for at least a reasonable amount of time.

Well to sum it up, the question is- Have you or anyone you know, bought sport touring tires such as the BT020 or Z6 and NOT liked them for any reason when used on the street? I ran a 020 on an F4i and it didn't give me any probs, but my bike now has almost 2x the torque. I'm not worried about grip when upright, but when leaned over. I've heard a lot of good things about the Z6, but would like to hear anything negative also.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
just to let you know i dragged knee on the z-6. i am currently running them on the TL. i think its a great match, since our bikes put out so much torque we go through tires like crazy. I have not had one instance were these tires slipped out from pushing it too hard. I carve canyons weekly and they perform great. from what i have heard is that the middle of the tire is a harder compound than the outside of the tire(not sure, i think). i only put about 4700 miles on my bt014 before i wore them out. i have put about 5.5k miles on the rear and its only about 1/4 wore down. great tire

edit:about 1/4 wore down, not 3/4

·
Curve Connaisseur
364 Posts
I ride corsas and for me they slip sometimes..very predictable though...... ..depends on what kind of rpms you like to ride at....

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
get the touring tires.......

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
z6's are great. just got back from the mountains with them, and they performed perfectly. i had bt02's on the old sv, and they gripped well enough also. the wear on the bridgestones was a little odd though. id get the metzelers, no need to think about it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Go for the Z6's. I've not gotten a chance to hit any really good roads yet, but so far on the mini-twisties around here, they have performed excellently. Combine that with expected double life of your typical race tire, and I don't see how you could go wrong.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was running a bt020 rear with a michelin front.. mismatched set i know... but the bridgestone held up great even at full lean angles... tire worn ragged all the way to the edge, knee pucks all scraped to hell... and the tire was fine. LIttle slipping here and there when it really heated up, but it was predictable.

Id recommend one.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've run Z6's on my gsxr750 and my 600rr and love them, they work fine in the twisties and they last forever.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Z6 all the way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
From your description of the kind of roads you ride it should be fine. Go a bit easy while you get used to the new tire (this is post break in) to get a good feel for them.

I just got the Diablo's on my 9R and they are wonderful, but I switched from the M1's because they weren't lasting all that long.

It all depends on how you come out of the corners (when you do find them) and how good your throttle control is.

Good luck

Bjorn

P.S.: As far as dragging knees goes, hell I've dragged my knee running D220's on a Katana. I don't think that's really a good indicator of how good the tire is ;)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for the opinions guys. I was just curious because I've heard a lot of different "these tires suck" posts, including but not limited to: Dunlop 207, 208, Metzeler M1, Pilot Sport, etc. I have the M1's now and have no real gripes, and have ran the pilot sport also with no problem.

Just thought it was funny that I had heard no bad things yet on the Z6's when everyone is so quick to badmouth everything.

How much similar to the 020's are the Z6's? I have ran an 020 before and really didn't care for it too much, although I had no real problems and even wore it to the edge. Might have been my set up or something, but it just didn't feel good when leaned over and on the throttle. I'd like something with similar mileage to the BT020 as it looked like it would last forever, but something just a little more soft also. I could tell the 020 was harder than the diablo or m1, but then again, that's the whole point of it I guess.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Ther's no compairing the Z6,it last and it sticks rain or shine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i've got over 10k miles on my z6 on the vfr. most of it is straight slab commuting, but i do drag pegs in the twisties in the weekends. the front still looks good, the rears look like they've gotten a couple thousand miles left

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
This being a tire thread - I am getting new tires tomorrow... I don't need a track tire, and I don't ride all that hard, just want something that is going to stick wet or dry under reasonable riding conditions. I was going to stick the the 208's (what's currently on there) but I am open to suggestions. The R6 looks like it would be good for my riding style. (Smooth and relaxed)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
208's suck major butt,go with the Z6 and check around on the links from this site and you'll find a good deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts