Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
youtube.com/PistNRods
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically hang back and sometimes exchange a nod if they look behind them. I don't find the "nice bike, you too nice bike man" conversations interesting.

How about you guys?

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
If the other bike is in the center of the lane, I'll pull behind. If it's to one side or the other, I'll often pull alongside for a brief nod and chat, especially if the bike or rider looks interesting; I like meeting people. If I do that, I make it clear that I didn't pull up to pass and when the light changes s/he should go first. I don't mind it at all if someone else pulls up alongside me at a stop.

PhilB

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I don't usually, just because my bike is too loud to hear them anyway so I'd rather not talk.

·
pick your poison
2,972 Posts
Usually sit back. With traffic, my exhaust, earplugs I cant hear well enough to carry on a conversation.

I give a thumbs up then continue looking ahead.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I always stay back. I wear earphone listening to music most of the time so I couldn't hear them, even when I don't my bike is too loud to hear them. Even if my bike wasn't too loud it's illegal in some states and can get you both a ticket

·
Registered
729 Posts
Depends.

If it's someone like Acalliste, I might be tempted to pull up to see what an angel does with her wings while riding. Then follow behind her to enjoy the view.

If it's a guy, I'll likely just stay back and stay out of the way, unless I have some real reason for wanting to exchange pleasantries. ("Hey, buddy, did you know you're leaking coolant?")

If it's JetFalcon, I'll pull off the road to avoid the upcoming crash.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Everyone does here, but that is mainly because we are making room for anyone else that is coming up between the cars. So you end up with four or five bikes on the crosswalk waiting for lights to change.

Most riders here are a lot more comfortable with proximity to other vehicles, so its a no brainer to slide in where there is a bike at the front, I intentionally get away from the centerlines just to make space for the next guy.

Reactions: MegaManX

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I agree with Philb entirely.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
If filtering was legal anywhere I ride, I would have a different attitude about it. Since it's not, having someone next you at a light looks more like you are together than just randomly at the same stop. The last thing I want is to get sucked into the drama of someone who was tripling the speed limit or some other bullshit right before deciding to become my friend. I've also had guys pull up next to me so they could wave their dick in the form of burnouts or wheelying away from the light. Fuck that, I don't want to be held at a traffic stop because of a perceived association with a jackass. If I want to talk to you, I'll let you know.

Depends.

If it's someone like Acalliste, I might be tempted to pull up to see what an angel does with her wings while riding. Then follow behind her to enjoy the view.

If it's a guy, I'll likely just stay back and stay out of the way, unless I have some real reason for wanting to exchange pleasantries. ("Hey, buddy, did you know you're leaking coolant?")

If it's JetFalcon, I'll pull off the road to avoid the upcoming crash.

I'd make an exception for you ;)

But as far as I know, anyone I don't know could be someone I need to avoid! :lol

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Filtering is legal here .. so it's everyone crammed up at the front . But we are londoners so there is little danger of any conversation , and how many times a day can you say " nice bike " anyways ?

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Considering what you have to go through to get your license, I wouldn't expect the same level of shenanigans from other riders there is you can expect here. :lol

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Considering what you have to go through to get your license, I wouldn't expect the same level of shenanigans from other riders there is you can expect here. :lol

I would say it's probably worse due to the sheer quantity of scooteristas .. also because everyone was forced to start small they can ride what they got .. When you see a whole pack of commuters with the knee down round a set of lights it is a sight to behold.. and then some dude in suit and tie with his BMW GS on the back wheel down the embankment :eek:nfloor .

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Now imagine all that, plus insanely stupid behavior from people who can't ride because they don't have to know how and didn't have to prove they.could to get their license (if they have one).

When I said "shenanigans" it didn't mean anything good, or acted out by people who actually know how to ride. Believe me, you don't want to outdo the kind of stupidity I'm talking about. ;)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Now imagine all that, plus insanely stupid behavior from people who can't ride because they don't have to know how and didn't have to prove they.could to get their license (if they have one).

When I said "shenanigans" it didn't mean anything good, or acted out by people who actually know how to ride. Believe me, you don't want to outdo the kind of stupidity I'm talking about. ;)
But I thought not being able to drive very well was a mark of US freedom .. we are free to be driving no matter how useless at vehicular control . You are known for your driving and riding ability much like we are known for our teeth and the French for soap and water and the Germans for being so darned funny :cereal

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
There could be some truth in that. A Brit taught me to drive, so.... :tremble

1 - 20 of 46 Posts