Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if you get to test ride the bike before you buy it, I'm talking dealers here. I've read posts that say they "sat " on this type or that model. Bikes are expensive how can you buy something you haven't riden?

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Depends on the dealer. Most prob. wouldn't. They prob. want a good chunk if not all of the $ up front in case something happens on your little test run. At least from my experience, which was only at two dealerships, one in MA and the other in NH.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
would you let every tom/dick/harry ride the fastest machines on earth?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Depends on your relationship with your dealer. Mine agreed to let me test ride the CBR1000RR and a ZX10R to see which one I wanted. He also let me test ride a Rune just for curiosity sake. But I have bought 5 bikes from him in the last 5 years, so I'm sure that makes a difference.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
most of the dealerships around here will not let you test ride the bikes, but if you have delt w/them for awhile they sometimes make exceptions.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I knew the people at the Ducati dealer here and they let me ride a 748S. Since, they've let me take home loaner bikes while my mine was in for scheduled service.

B

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
madman748 said:
I knew the people at the Ducati dealer here and they let me ride a 748S. Since, they've let me take home loaner bikes while my mine was in for scheduled service.

B

The Duc dealer here does that too. Is it a Ducati policy to always make sure their customers have a bike?

·
Registered
801 Posts
ASCI_Blue said:
The Duc dealer here does that too. Is it a Ducati policy to always make sure their customers have a bike?
I think so. They had my 748 for almost 3 weeks doing the 12,000 service. So, I got a chance to ride a BMW K1200S. Not a back bike.

B

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW, I can't even get a loaner at my local dodge dealer, while my 05 caravan gets fixed, I heard a toyota comercial that says you get a loaner while service is going on.
It's nice to see a bike dealer whos poilcy is to give a loaner or it least it seems like it is.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Most dealerships dont....if they did then everyone would be in there just so they could ride for a few minutes with no intentions on buying...not to mention the liability the dealerships would have to deal with.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
GixxerJRG said:
Most dealerships dont....if they did then everyone would be in there just so they could ride for a few minutes with no intentions on buying...not to mention the liability the dealerships would have to deal with.
What liability?

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
mikem317 said:
What liability?

The stupid non-riding newbie who wants to take out <insert liter here>. Although if they're smart they toss in a waiver form so liability doesn't fall to them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Dealership that I bought my last bike from has a strict no test ride policy because some idiot has ruined it for everybody. Friend that works there told me that about 5 years ago a squid came in to test ride a bike and he was doing 80 MPH down a surface road and broad side an old lady in driver's door killing her. Talk about an instant law suit against the squid and the dealership. Dealership beat it not sure about the squid. So now ever since strict no test ride policy

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Japanese dealerships around here will rarely give test rides on new bikes. If you ride up on a bike, and they can tell you are competent, they might let you ride a used bike if you seem interested in it. I rode my used SV before buying it.

I've been to two Triumph dealers, and both of them practically throw you the keys. They don't have every single bike available, but they often have loaner bikes. The local dealer has let me ride a Thunderbird Sport, Speedmaster, Bonneville T100, Thruxton, and the Speed Triple I ended up buying. He also has a Rocket III for test rides and a few Victory cruisers.

The local BMW dealer always tries to get me to take test rides, and so does Buell.

·
Registered
801 Posts
mercutio80 said:
Japanese dealerships around here will rarely give test rides on new bikes. If you ride up on a bike, and they can tell you are competent, they might let you ride a used bike if you seem interested in it. I rode my used SV before buying it.

I've been to two Triumph dealers, and both of them practically throw you the keys. They don't have every single bike available, but they often have loaner bikes. The local dealer has let me ride a Thunderbird Sport, Speedmaster, Bonneville T100, Thruxton, and the Speed Triple I ended up buying. He also has a Rocket III for test rides and a few Victory cruisers.

The local BMW dealer always tries to get me to take test rides, and so does Buell.
I agree, mostly Japanese dealers. Maybe the factory tells the dealers no rides. My local Duc dealer is also an Aprilla, BMW, Triumph. I'm thinking Triumph as a loaner at my next scheduled service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts