Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on Saturday, the family and I was out for a drive. Going shopping and stuff like that.

Well my wife asked, me was I in a Indy 500 race. I was taking corners, hitting the pedal. In turns I feel myself leaning in the turns, have my head on a slant.

I started laughing and the misses was like what are you laughing about. I told her I was driving like I was on my bike and just explained to her what I was doing.

I told her she going to be doing the samething when she start riding.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yea I do the same kind of stuff, head tilted, but I dont go no where as fast as I do on my bike, it just feel natural to lean into turns....its in my blood what can I say:)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I was just thinking about this the other day.
I think it makes me a better driver. Im usually paying more attention to the road. Sometimes I forget people can actually SEE me in my car. Sometimes I also forget that I can't just give it a little more gas and fly around another car to pass.

Sometimes I do the lean things, but mostly I just brake, downshift and accelerate through turns like I do on my bike.

·
Registered
488 Posts
yea i do actually... I feel it actually makes me a lil safer of a driver.. I find myself looking thru turns much better. although I am a lil heavy on the pedal..

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nope, I have a ford explorer. That settles it.... it's slow and has bad gas mileage. I just use it for camping, commuting, track day trips, etc. My 'fun' time is on the bike! If I had a sports car that may be a different story though!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am much more aware of bikes and other cars while in my car since I've been riding. Sometimes I almost try to lane split in my car and catch myself lol.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
i drive like a sane normal person in my car and like a squid on my bike. but havind ridden a bike for a while now, i think it has made me a better driver. I look through turns, check my shoulder when i change lanes, prepare for stupid cager moves. i scan and anticipate alot more now.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
TachyonS14 said:
Sometimes I almost try to lane split in my car and catch myself lol.
+1 on that one :lao

I drive a Suburban, and it is almost as easy to lane split in it, people see me coming and get out of my way :biggrinag

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sure, do.......poor Taurus.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not really. I don't drive the same, and I'm not a better driver as a result of the bike. First of all, I drive a pickup, which handles like shit. I have to take it easy b/c the thing has mad body roll and also lacks traction at the rear wheels. When I was rockin sand bags, it was not so bad, but I still wish I had a car. Secondly, I do not drive better, because I feel like I actually pay less attention than I should. On the bike, I am paying attention to nothing other than operating the bike and staying alive among traffic (or concentrating on the road if I'm out for rec. riding). However, since the cage requires so little input to do its thing, and though I clearly am not interested in having a wreck, I do not have the inherent fear of death if an accident were to occur. Basically, the truck requires less attention, and often times I find myself offering less attention as a result. I've been trying to go back to my days when I first started driving and all I did was focus on the road. I've not really had many close calls or anything like that. It's just that when I've had close calls, they have been closer than they used to be.

EDIT: Haha, actually, I do find myself with the biker mentality if I have been riding for something like a solid week without driving, but find myself back in the cage. I don't normally lane split, but I will squeeze around people when appropriate (car in front doing left turn on a 2-lane road with a lot of oncoming traffic, etc). I find myself looking for opportunities like that in the cage sometimes, until I realize that things will not turn out well if I attempt a similar move with something so much larger.

·
Registered
123 Posts
a little but I have a saying when I'm in my car doing some cornering. It goes along the line of set and roll. Coming into the turn I find the right entry speed then as I enter the turn I set the suspention then "roll" on the throttle, ie. press the peddle. I think I'm really a better cage driver than jon my bike but thats cause I'm a noob. I've allways leaned in on a hot corner maybe from ridding dirt of on the back of my Dads bike?

·
Registered
486 Posts
ExtraJ said:
I think it makes me a better driver. Im usually paying more attention to the road. Sometimes I forget people can actually SEE me in my car.
thats about as far as it goes for me, I drive a 2wd sonoma on tigerpaws, and if anyone has ever driven on tigerpaws knows why I can't drive it like a bike lol

TIGERPAW TIRES :pisson

·
Registered
488 Posts
i drive an explorer also... and although very slow and lethargic, i still seem to be able to get her goin smoothly :) On turns I noticed the a differnce though.. The CAR kinda of leans OUT of the turns, almost like a perpetual high side, where as the bike leans INTO the turns..HA! Hope I dont high side that tremendous hunk of ten year old steel.. :urowned

·
www.getrenegade.com
917 Posts
I think I drive fairly normal when in my cage although after riding the bike all weekend I was working the turbo on my Saab pretty hard last night! My roomie on the hand drives his car like he rides his bike all the time! I agree with most of you guys though, I am much more aware of my surroundings in my car & on my bike, constantly scanning for others to do something stupid.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I drove a car one time this year, and it felt completely different from riding my bike. So I took it very slow.

I was catching myself leaning into the turns but other then that, that's it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
On any given curvy section of road, I can drive my car faster than I can ride my bike. '92 Jetta Coupe vs. '89 Ninja 600R. It's partly because I'm a new rider, partly because my bike is old, pavement around here is crappy, and partly because I've learned to corner that car hard enough to lift the inside rear wheel off the pavement. I think it may brake harder, too. And, of course, there's just such a larger margin for error in the car. Too hot in the VW = understeer, maybe snap oversteer (surprisingly enough). Too hot on the bike = surfing the asphalt. I love driving my car quick, but lately I've been having more fun on the bike. Car only gets used if I need to give someone a lift or maybe if it's raining.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I drive my car (modded Dodge SRT-4) like I am on a race track at almost all times, except I remain in the near vicinity of the speed limit. But I follow the racing line in all turns, downshift, brake, and accelerate like I am on the track, and whenever I stop and think about it, I am always wishing the turn is tighter and banked. It doesn't help of course that I run a full race suspension setup on the street daily.

·
Registered
209 Posts
sometimes i want to pass people on 2 lane roads but i forget my car doesnt have the passing power of my bike. also, i look through turns always now except my pillar gets in teh way sometimes. also, i find myself driving slower then i do on my bike because i can get my speed fix on the bike. also (im sick of that word), i too follow the correct "line" sometimes and try to hit the apex in my car lol for no reason.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts