Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to figure out what additional maintenance and cleaning i need to be doing. ive got the honda brite and degreaser which really makes her shine. i was wondering how often do you clean your chain and anything else that needs it. what do you use also? thanks, grrr

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
For my chain, I like to lube it once or twice a month, or if it looks dry in between the links. Don't use WD40 to lube it though. It's okay to wipe the outside face of the chain with WD40 to prevent corrosion, but the o and x-rings needs lube instead. There are specific chain lubes out there.

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
I clean and lube the chain every 600-800 miles. As for the rest of the bike it's whenever it looks dirty. I hate when my bike is not clean.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I clean it ever week or two at the most. I like a shiney clean bike. I also lube the chain but I never remember so I clean and lube the chain when I start to feel it when I ride which is probably not a good idea. I think it is around ever 1k miles.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I clean mine after every ride before parking it. I've found that if you do that, all it takes is a quick wipe down with Honda Polish. If you actually let it get dirty it takes a lot longer to get it clean again. But then again, I keep mine showroom clean or better at all times, so maybe I'm a bit anal. I'm not crazy tho....I don't let it keep me from riding it. I just make sure it's clean before I put it to bed.

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
I clean mine after every ride before parking it. I've found that if you do that, all it takes is a quick wipe down with Honda Polish. If you actually let it get dirty it takes a lot longer to get it clean again. But then again, I keep mine showroom clean or better at all times, so maybe I'm a bit anal. I'm not crazy tho....I don't let it keep me from riding it. I just make sure it's clean before I put it to bed.
Yep, I run no chainguard so I want that thing shiny. Just like washing your vehicle, keeping the chain clean makes it easier to clean each time. I soak with WD, wipe, adjust, and lube with a little motorex (white stuff).

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I hardly ever wash mine. It just doesn't get that dirty in a place with little rainfall and an occasional dust storm. A little bug splatter never hurt anyone. But I do clean and lube the chain every few hundred miles and am religious about maintenance checks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used to clean mine once a week until I found that it wasn't that dirty, although I was riding everyday as the only mode of transport.

I use brake cleaner for the rims to initially clean off the grime, and then I'd use a thin coat of WD40 ontop which keeps dirt and chain grease from sticking to the wheels making them easier to clean off. And the more often you clean the bike, the better off you are at keeping it clean in the long run.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Clean mine couple times a week. Ride it everyday. All it takes is a quick wipe down when done frequently. The wheels are the PITA part. I usually lay on a thick coat of Turtle Wax once a year on the wheels... makes wipeing them clean much easier. The part of cleaning her up often is it gives you a chance to look at everything and see that nothing is broke or loose or out of adjustment = safety!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts