Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering. Im about to change my oil for the second time this summer. Last time i changed the filter and oil. This time i bought the filter and oil, but im debating wether or not i want to just do an oil change and wait till my next one to do the filter, or just say f it and do it all. I'd usually do it all, but i feel lazier then usual :twofinger

On a serious note, what do you all recommend? Anybody go every other? Any problems? I change it every 3000-3500 miles. What about you? Im probably going to end up doing the filter to, but i figured i see how many different responses i can get first, just out of curiosity :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yes. :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've always changed the filter when I change the oil. I've heard of people changing the filter without changing the oil, given the life expectancy of synthetics.

I'm running a Scott's reusable oil filter on the TT, and I clean it between and with oil changes .

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I always replace the filter when I do an oil change, it's only a couple of bucks so why not to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I change mine every 3-4 oil changes but then I usually change my oil with Mobil 1. I never changed the filter on my first used bike and put 30k miles on it. It ended up with 60000 miles last I heard with no problems. I have torn apart filters before and found no junk in them so I though I would save my self some money. The manual on many bikes recomends 6000- 12000 miles often. Whatever you do dont put a cheap filter on your bike.

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
1. You have to be damn cheap not to change the filter with the oil.
2. You have to be damn lazy not to change the filter with the oil.

That oil is the only thing preventing your bike's crankshaft from rubbing against the main bearings. It's the only thing preventing the con rods from rubbing against the crank... and on and on. One little piece of crap in your lubrication system could destroy your engine, especially a race bike, given the extreme service the engine sees. Use any type of oil you want, but change it every 2k-5k miles, depending on the way you use the machine.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I change it every oil change.....after all, you wouldn't use the same underwear after a shower, would you??

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Every time. I use conventional/synthetic blend oil and change it every 2000 miles. I'll go through at least 6-7 oil/filter changes a summer.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
yes..................

·
Registered
109 Posts
My owners manual has intervals listed for recommended filter changes. It is every other time. Check your owners manual for periodic maintenance tips.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Inky24 said:
Just wondering. Im about to change my oil for the second time this summer. Last time i changed the filter and oil. This time i bought the filter and oil, but im debating wether or not i want to just do an oil change and wait till my next one to do the filter, or just say f it and do it all. I'd usually do it all, but i feel lazier then usual :twofinger

On a serious note, what do you all recommend? Anybody go every other? Any problems? I change it every 3000-3500 miles. What about you? Im probably going to end up doing the filter to, but i figured i see how many different responses i can get first, just out of curiosity :D
Dam good question. :dblthumb

Now, I am telling you from experience, not what somebody told me. :)

On my 2001 GSX R1000, which has 44,000 miles, looking and running like brand new, sometimes after 2500 miles, I will change oil, and leave the filter. The next 2500, I change the oil and the filter. Sometimes, I will go to 3500 miles, and change the oil and filter. I do the same on my 2003 RC51, which has 24,000 miles, and also looks and runs like brand new. On both bikes I have had ZERO problems. BTW, I use only Honda Pro oil (the cheap grade),20-50 in the summer, and 10-40 in the winter. I put a lot of miles on my bikes. I used them to communte, travel, and hit twistees.

http://mysite.verizon.net/cehowardrc51/wheel967.jpg

ceh
2001 GSX R1000
2003 RC51
(63 & fast)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts