Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I rode over to Des Moines to look at bikes and my little journey ended up taking me to Kellogg to eat a burger at that 66 station off of I-80.The place claims that it has Iowas best burger but it tasted just like B-Bops in my opinion.Anyway I passed a lot of HDs in town and on 80 and I always give the wave to every other fellow rider on the road out of respect and kind gesture.But my problem is I figure about 80% of these HD riders dont wave back but just stare stone faced and give the Iam cooler or better than you look.What is up with that?I have had two HDs and I always waved at every rider no matter what the other person was riding.One guy even revved it up way more than normal(you know the Harley rev as they are comming to a stop they all do this) at me as he was slowing down to turn my way as I was at the stop sign all without even looking at me.Although I did get a look back when I gave a twist of the wrist to the Monster.I guess six thousand rpms from the desmodue twin gassing out through Sil Motor exhaust was enough decibles to get some notice from him. The next pac I saw had three bikes in it so being the person that I am I decided to join them on their Saturday ride.I rode with them for about fifteen miles before turning off. I guess being led by a Roadking isnt my stile although he did have a good pace.So can someone please tell me why this snubbing exists.By the way if you want to try the (best burger in Iowa)its in Hamilton a tiny town off of T-14 between Knoxville and Chariton.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
They are better, didn't you know louder must mean "better"? ;) As I've always said about Harleys...they're not fast, they're not particularly good looking, they have to be something so they might as well be loud.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dont let it bother you,I got the same thing today while up in the canyons.Every sportbiker waves to me when Im on my RC51 and Cbr1000RR,but only on rare occasions will a Harley/special construction rider give you a wave.When I ride my bro in laws big dog chopper,I always get a wave from them and seldom from the sportbiker....two different worlds out here in Calif and Im sure out your way as well.I enjoy both types of riding,but would rather rip thru the canyons anyday!!!

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
I dunno, I've gotten a wave back from about 90% of the bikers I've met, and about 40% of them waved first. More than half of the people who didn't wave were on cruisers.

I've gotten zero respect from guys on custom choppers, though. A guy lives in my neighborhood, and I usually pass his house when leaving for my morning rides. He'll always glare at me, and I haven't waved at him since the firsdt 3 times he ignored me (he was looking right at me).

A couple of choppers on the highway decided they wanted to play, revved it up, and took off. I'm pretty sure one of them gave me the finger.

No respect, I tell you.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Everytime I experience a group of bikes, choppers or otherwise, who purposely rev' up and shoot off like I should immediately reciprocate in some sort of assumed "challenge response", I maintain my speed and allow them to look like idiots.

·
Registered
753 Posts
fellow riders

I try and wave or signal to anyone on 2 wheels (even folks on scooters).

If someone does not wave back I do not take it personally, I figure it is my duty to show people that all sportbikers are not A-holes, just becouse a person does not respond to my or your greeting really means nothing. Maybe they are unsure what you doing or they are a little slow to respond, who cares. Just keep it up, a kind act goes a long way in affecting the public's opinion and stereotype of an individual or a group. Face it, the public doesn't really have a high opion of the hardcore harley people anyways.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I only waive to sportbikes in town. If a cruiser waives I'll waive back. Tired for no waives back and rather keep both hands on the bars...

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Oh, come on, all motorcycles regardless of weight will propel themselves forward, in a straight line, without any effort at all. A monkey can ride a motorcycle in a straight line. If you disagree, watch any of the stunting videos where the rider falls off after riding a wheelie. Note how the motorcycle continues to go in a straight line even without a rider for as long as inirtia with minimal engine torque will carry it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts