Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My jeans aren't going to cut it so I'm looking for some proper pants. I'm a little ashamed to admit it but I've already spent hours and hours doing research and I find myself more confused than when I started. I could use a little help.

I think I want overpants so I can remove them when I get where I'm going (work, etc) but I'd also like to be able to wear them by themselves on longer rides when I don't have a particular destination.

I definitely want CE rated armor.

I'm not crazy about how a lot of overpants fit like snowmobile pants so I prefer something less baggy. I typically wear slim fitting jeans so a second layer could cover them without fitting like a tent. Also, with loose-fitting overpants, I don't trust the armor will stay where it needs to stay if I go down.

I live in Los Angeles so they need to be warm weather friendly.

I'd love it if I could find something for around $200.

So, if anyone could suggest an overpant in my price range that features CE rated armor, allows for decent airflow, and won't make me look like the Michelin man, I'm all ears.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
No, they really don't, sorry. Over pants are overpants, and if they fit snugly you wouldn't be able to get them on over... pants.

If the knee armor is properly located it will cup your kneecap and stay in place. If you don't need pants underneath for a destination, I just wear a pair of cargo shorts or UnderArmor.

With my awesome MotoPort setup, I had a jacket, overpants, and a track pant that was designed to fit the same jacket, but that's about ten times your budget.

KeS

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ehhhhh, who cares about road rash, nothing a skin graft can't fix. But serious though, are their any other brands beside the draggin jeans that are good?

·
Formerly 216cityboy
37 Posts
Ehhhhh, who cares about road rash, nothing a skin graft can't fix. But serious though, are their any other brands beside the draggin jeans that are good?
Yes! I stalked these jeans (Sartso.com) Home online for about a year before I dropped the coin on them. I was looking into other options & even still I'm not convinced there's another bang for the buck comparison with as much kevlar coverage. Fortunately AND unfortunately I got to test them out & won't hesitate to buy them again. I initially spent $175 including shipping for these jeans from Australia (took a month delivery). They recently lowered the price a great deal & I'll have a second pair soon now that I'm riding again. That being said, I had the misfortune of a car cutting me off in the HOV lane at spirited highway speed. Flipped over the bike, landed belly down, feet first, sliding quite a distance. I only managed to get about 6" of rash on my right calf since I had the pants resting on top of my Sidi boots for a breeze while cruising rather than at full length near the ankle. Without all the kevlar they have, my thighs/knees would've been ground beef. I recommend opting for the knee armor at the current lower price. I didn't want to spend the extra $25 at the time but my knees/toes took a lot of that landing impact. I suffered more damage but this is the jeans review. I don't have a pic of the front. The EMT's cut them off me. Lastly, paid for them in January, arrived in February, accident in April. Talk about timing.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wear regular motorcycle pants as overpants, though they are "regular" cut, not "sport" cut like a pair of leather pants with sliders on them. The two I wear are both REV'IT, the Airwave (textile/mesh) and Horizon (waterproof w/ removable thermal liner). Even with the liner in the Horizon pants, I can still get them on over jeans.

I think the REV'IT Airwave is what you're looking for. Find a shop in your area that carries them (or just order them online that has a free exchange). They have an adjustable waist, so I'd suggest starting with the size you would get for normal wearing and see if that fits over your jeans too. The Airwave isn't a tight European style cut so if you're wearing slim fitting jeans you should be okay. Also they wouldn't be a size too big when you're wearing them by themselves. They flow well too. They are what I wear when commuting in the summer.

They're also right at $200.

REV'IT! Airwave Pants - RevZilla

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I had a set of draggin' jeans when I was a street rider... excellent quality stuff, but make sure you either try them on first or buy from a company with a good return policy, because they fit a little funny. Mine were ~2" shorter than I expected them to be.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There are a lot of jeans out there with Kevlar panels. What happens when the denim in between the panels tears away? What happens when you fall on a section of the jean without a Kevlar panel?

I think I'd want full coverage. This is one of the few jeans I've found with full coverage.

Kevlar Riding Jeans

·
Lickalotapuss
2,859 Posts
Tourmaster Flex. You can't get away from any "snowmobile look", but get the right size. They have two liners and the top layers zip off to make them mesh. They work in 105+ LA traffic, trust me :)

·
Registered
330 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
There are a lot of jeans out there with Kevlar panels. What happens when the denim in between the panels tears away? What happens when you fall on a section of the jean without a Kevlar panel?

I think I'd want full coverage. This is one of the few jeans I've found with full coverage.

Kevlar Riding Jeans
WOW, those are even "cheap" and they have kevlar all over the place, suddenly the cheapie kevlar jeans don't seem like much of a bargain anymore.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a pair of overpants that I wear for everything. I wear dress pants underneath when I'm going to work or school, and when I'm just going out for a ride I throw on a pair or shorts underneath or something. Love them, and they're very practical. I feel like they'd have a decent amount of protection, though they're obviously not leather.

Icon Overlord Overpants.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts