Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More miles under my belt = upping my gear. I own a textile jacket, full face helmet, and gauntlet gloves. Recently added some mesh motorcycle pants and motorcycle specific boots. I've been riding Mulholland more and more recently & figured I'd need to be covered head to toe in motorcycle specific gear for spirited rides. I'm confident in all of my gear but have my doubts about these pants. They have armor at the hips, knees, and shins. Anyone have any experience with mesh in a crash? I'm curious as to whether they'll hold up in crashes up to about 50mph. My knee is slowly inching its way to the ground (almost there)... A crash is imminent.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Mesh is way way better than non motorcycling clothing.

Leather > textile > mesh > non motorcycle clothing

Every crash is different, so it's performance will vary. After a couple crashes this summer, in leather, I've parked my textile and mesh, I want the most protection I can have

However, if mesh is the most you can handle wearing, wear it!!

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
More miles under my belt = upping my gear. I own a textile jacket, full face helmet, and gauntlet gloves. Recently added some mesh motorcycle pants and motorcycle specific boots. I've been riding Mulholland more and more recently & figured I'd need to be covered head to toe in motorcycle specific gear for spirited rides. I'm confident in all of my gear but have my doubts about these pants. They have armor at the hips, knees, and shins. Anyone have any experience with mesh in a crash? I'm curious as to whether they'll hold up in crashes up to about 50mph. My knee is slowly inching its way to the ground (almost there)... A crash is imminent.
Considering you've only been riding for about three weeks, your priorities are way off. If you're trying to drag knee on the street (which is kinda stupid regardless of your skill level IMO) this soon, you're correct in that a crash is imminent. Dude, slow down and concentrate on the fundamentals of riding.

Good to hear that you're wearing gear though.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Vastly. I've had one 65 MPH get off. Mesh destroyed. Minor scrapes on me.
Right.

You can't expect mesh gear to leave you TOTALLY pristine. But if it's got the knee and hip armor, and the solid textile panels in the hips, butt, and knees, it's pretty much as good as textile.

The main drawback is that it doesn't fit as snug as leather, so it'll shift around, which is usually when you get some skin abrasions and stuff.

But I figure if it's 1000 times more comfortable and convenient and I'll actually WEAR it, and it's 90% as effective, it's a no-brainer.

Textile/mesh or draggin jeans for me. Screw leather pants on the street. Such a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Screw leather pants on the street. Such a pain in the ass.

I tell ya, I'm wearing Tourmaster leather overpants as pants (just underwear) and for the street, I'm good.

They have some venting, aren't like a race pant.

It will be interesting to see how my new race suit compares for comfort

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I tell ya, I'm wearing Tourmaster leather overpants as pants (just underwear) and for the street, I'm good.

They have some venting, aren't like a race pant.

It will be interesting to see how my new race suit compares for comfort
Yeah, but I can't wear just dedicated motorcycle pants for anything that I do. I don't just go on dedicated rides... I commute, run errands, or go hang out with friends. All things that I need other pants for.

They MIGHT be nice for longer trips, but even then, textile/mesh pants are probably better, if only just for the waterproof factor.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Yeah, but I can't wear just dedicated motorcycle pants for anything that I do. I don't just go on dedicated rides... I commute, run errands, or go hang out with friends. All things that I need other pants for.

They MIGHT be nice for longer trips, but even then, textile/mesh pants are probably better, if only just for the waterproof factor.
yep, I'm the opposite, I'm really only doing dedicated rides

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Considering you've only been riding for about three weeks, your priorities are way off. If you're trying to drag knee on the street (which is kinda stupid regardless of your skill level IMO) this soon, you're correct in that a crash is imminent. Dude, slow down and concentrate on the fundamentals of riding.

Good to hear that you're wearing gear though.

I'm enjoying myself. I commute on my bike everyday, gotta treat myself to something fun (besides women & parties) on the weekends! But I getcha on the fundamentals, it's slowly becoming second nature commuting on the street. Some of the rich experienced riders in these canyons are on the racetrack multiple times a month... They've been especially helpful showing me the basics of spirited riding. Also have an advanced riding course booked in 2 weeks. Maybe a track day as well?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right.

You can't expect mesh gear to leave you TOTALLY pristine. But if it's got the knee and hip armor, and the solid textile panels in the hips, butt, and knees, it's pretty much as good as textile.

The main drawback is that it doesn't fit as snug as leather, so it'll shift around, which is usually when you get some skin abrasions and stuff.

But I figure if it's 1000 times more comfortable and convenient and I'll actually WEAR it, and it's 90% as effective, it's a no-brainer.

Textile/mesh or draggin jeans for me. Screw leather pants on the street. Such a pain in the ass.

They were pretty inexpensive so I can careless if it's a one a done deal. I figured nothing would be good as leather. Although it isn't uncommon to see riders here in full leather suits... Doesn't really fit the bill for me.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Well, good gear of ANY kind and the word inexpensive don't really go together.

My mesh pants retail for like 240 bucks. Not exactly cheap. My mesh jacket retails for 300. My mesh/leather gloves were like 140.

I mean, cheaper than my leather gear, but only by a slight margin. I bought it because it breathes and NC is hot as hell. Not because it was cheaper than leather.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it depends on where the mesh is? I am using a pair of cycle gear mesh pants but the impact areas like the knee and butt areas are not mesh.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, good gear of ANY kind and the word inexpensive don't really go together.

My mesh pants retail for like 240 bucks. Not exactly cheap. My mesh jacket retails for 300. My mesh/leather gloves were like 140.

I mean, cheaper than my leather gear, but only by a slight margin. I bought it because it breathes and NC is hot as hell. Not because it was cheaper than leather.

Geez. My HJC helmet is DOT & Snell, that cost like $160. I picked up the pants for about $100 off RevZilla. They're AGV. And I'm with you, it's hot where I live too.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Geez. My HJC helmet is DOT & Snell, that cost like $160. I picked up the pants for about $100 off RevZilla. They're AGV. And I'm with you,it's hot where I live too.
It's not that hot. I've been commuting every day in a leather jacket, mesh over pants, gloves, and helmet for the last two months of this god forsaken heat wave we've had.

With that said, I've been hit in mesh overpants. Knee protection stopped my knee from being broken, and no road rash. Definitely fared better then my buddy who low sided @ 50 mph in jeans.

And slow the fuck down. The canyons aren't a fucking race track. I don't care if you hurt or kill yourself, it's the people that you might possible hurt in doing so. You're the reason I rarely ride the canyons unless I get a day off in the middle of the week and I can get out to them super early. I have a son to think about, and god forbid some asshole like you takes a goddamn corner too hard, crosses into my lane, and takes me out.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Geez. My HJC helmet is DOT & Snell, that cost like $160. I picked up the pants for about $100 off RevZilla. They're AGV. And I'm with you, it's hot where I live too.
It's not hot where you live.

people move from all over the world to GET where you live because it's a pretty nice temperature all year long. And it NEVER gets humid like it is here 7 months out of the year.

Seriously. It's like me arguing with whymista about wearing leather in the summer. He's in Texas. It's hot in texas, but NOWHERE near as humid. I had a friend move back here from fucking AFRICA and complain about the heat.

And I didn't say that I PAID that much for my gear. It's just what the retail on it is. Closeouts on gear are the thing to do. AGV makes good stuff.

Not all textile is the same, though. There is 600 denier and 1000+ denier cordura. The 1000 stuff is MUCH better than the 600, but it's also only found on the really high-end stuff. And there's dual density foam armor, and CE rated hard armor. Again, big difference.

I'm just throwing this out there because you are new. You might already know it. But if not, then there you go. Not all textile/mesh is created equal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You're the reason I rarely ride the canyons unless I get a day off in the middle of the week and I can get out to them super early. I have a son to think about, and god forbid some asshole like you takes a goddamn corner too hard, crosses into my lane, and takes me out.
I'm sorry you think I give a fuck

1 - 20 of 31 Posts