Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure this insurance crap out. I am about to sell my WR250X (almost paid off) and pick up something a little more sporty and highway worthy to be my new go to vehicle. Just wondering if I need the bodily injury part if I have good health insurance and disability insurance?

Also, something very bothersome, I did several online quotes and it seems adding collision adds 1000-1200 a year depending on bike. I had my heart set on an FZ09 but looking like the insurance would cost as much as the note. If they let me have liability only when financing I could buy a brand new backup bike to sit in the garage for the insurance price difference when you factor in the deductible. Picking up a used 600 and getting liability only seems to be the much much much cheaper option. Both my WRX and VTX are under 200 a year for full coverage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
From what I understand it just helps you out if someone hits you and their insurance can't cover your expenses I could be wrong though, shit is confusing. Maybe try looking at getting a used real low mileage sportbike that is a bit older.

I'm 24 with progressive I have full coverage with a good driver discount/msf course discount, $500 collision/comprehensive deductible, and I paid $488.00 this year for my 04 F4i. I know it can vary based on location but I was looking at what it would be if i had a 08 or newer 600 and all my quotes were way over $1,200.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you have health insurance and disability, you don't need uninsured motorist. That being said, you might want to check how long you have to wait to collect disability. If you have to wait 30 days or more before you can collect, that's a whole month without wages, AND disability usually only covers a max of 60% of your wages. Uninsured motorist will cover lost wages so you'll have to weigh the extra cost of carrying the insurance vs your ability to live without full wages for an unknown length of time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
From what I understand it just helps you out if someone hits you and their insurance can't cover your expenses I could be wrong though, shit is confusing. Maybe try looking at getting a used real low mileage sportbike that is a bit older.

I'm 24 with progressive I have full coverage with a good driver discount/msf course discount, $500 collision/comprehensive deductible, and I paid $488.00 this year for my 04 F4i. I know it can vary based on location but I was looking at what it would be if i had a 08 or newer 600 and all my quotes were way over $1,200.
I don't bother mentioning Rider Insurance if the person doesn't live in the states they cover. I pay just a couple over $500 / year on my HP4 for the same coverage. Our coverage tends to make other people suicidal ;)

To the OP, I've heard some decent quotes with State Farm. The big thing about adding comprehensive is bike theft rate.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
^
Correct, I'm pretty much maxed out in all categories and lowest on all deductibles and it's like...$250 a year. x_X Shit is just stupid good. (Though, they'd probably drop a person after 1 accident. I mean, shit's gotta give somewhere with this insurance...)

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
uninsured bodily injury does NOT cover you (AFAIK), what it is, if you hit someone and they are uninsured, and you injure them, it pays their medical expenses. PIP covers YOUR injuries.

It's really good if you have a no fault state.

As for State Farm, screw them, I am paying a third with Nationwide. :)

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
uninsured bodily injury does NOT cover you (AFAIK), what it is, if you hit someone and they are uninsured, and you injure them, it pays their medical expenses. PIP covers YOUR injuries.

Pretty sure You have that wrong. It has been explained to me like this, it covers YOU if the other driver has no insurance and they are at fault.

Think about it, Why would it matter if they have insurance to be covered by yours if you're at fault?
If they don't have insurance that's what the uninsured motorist stuff is for. So YOU get compensation of some kind. Without it your insurance doesn't pay you anything if they are at fault.

Again, if you have health insurance you do not need the uninsured bodily injury stuff. If you have poor insurance it might be a good idea to get it for extra coverage. Your health insurance will need to see your bike/car policy before they pay out.

Your health insurance should not deny your claim if you are riding a motorcycle. If you were hurt on a racetrack then they might.

Also if you get factory financing they usually don't require full coverage insurance. It's basically a credit card is how theyve done it in the past

·
Registered
731 Posts

This is wrong.

PIP covers medical and unpaid wages of the POLICY HOLDER if the policy holder's insurance company is liable.

Liability insurance covers property damage and medical payments to the OTHER PARTY if the policy holder's insurance is liable.

Uninsured motorist covers the POLICY HOLDER for medical payments and lost wages if the OTHER MOTORIST is at fault AND they do not have insurance or adequate limits.

·
Registered
495 Posts
OP - will you be purchasing the new bike straight-out? Or financing it.

If Financing, the lender may dictate the type of insurance you carry on your pledged asset, and this whole discussion is for naught.

If paying outright, just remember this: Insurance is most beneficial for those that are cash-poor. What would happen if:

A) You got hit on your bike by an uninsured degenerate, incurred $100k in medical bills, and were off work for a year recovering?

B) You got hit on your bike by an uninsured degenerate. You survived, but your passenger, a 21yo woman, was killed. Her family is suing for negligence.

C) Your bike is stolen the day after you bought it.

All of these scenarios are very real. You may have them figured out already, which, if you do, HUZZAH! you can save and not carry all the insurance that others do.

If these scenarios are intimidating - then that's what insurance is for.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Yes you need it. I deal with health insurance companies all the time in the healthcare field and your health insurance doesn't cover everything. Definitely get it.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Were you off work for extended amount of time? Your medical insurance might cover your medical bills, but it won't cover lost wages if you're out of work for an extended period of time.
you're right they will not. health insurance only covers the hospital and hospital related bills. I was just saying how great my policy was. they approved everything. I even got to order off the cafeteria menu anything I wanted a private room and the tv remote lol. the lady that takes care of all this at the hospital said my policy is one of the best she's ever seen in the 30 years she's been doing it.
we only had it because the owner where I worked knew the value of having good insurance. he had a heart transplant.
I thanked that man every week I worked there for it. my deductible was only $250 also.
I'll never find a job with that level of insurance again. too bad he passed away and the new owners got rid of it the very week they took over. of course they would. assholes. it went to a $2k deduct and 60% coverage insurance.

I had disability insurance as well.
I tell you what, when you need this stuff it's like a godsend. the docs wouldn't let me go back to work for 4 months. I would of been up a shit creek without it.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
uninsured covers you if whoever hits you has no insurance. the scars on my arms, chest, and legs will testify to that. Usually costs very little.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts