Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been away for a while as I was off doing a cross country motorcycle tour (Well North to South, not East to West.). I'll probably do a detailed write up of it at some point if I get a chance, still getting used to being back at home and taking care of a bunch of stuff from when I was gone.

What this thread is about, is an incident that happened to me at the Dragon in Tennessee. Before I left home I did an oil change and a bunch of other maintenance, I screwed on my K&N oil filter, I think the box says to hand tighten it one quarter turn after the gasket touches the base, I usually do about a half turn or a little more until I start getting moderate resistance on it. By the time I got to the Dragon I had already ridden over 1,200 miles on this trip with no issues. I did a few runs on the Dragon and then rode around the area for a while longer, I was pushing it decently hard (For a Touring bike loaded with side cases and camping gear.) while on the Tail, mostly in second and some even first gear corners at high revs, kicking it up to third on some of the straights. I then rode around the area for about another 45 minutes looking for a place to stay since it was getting dark.

I found an inn and slept for the night. When I woke up in the morning I took off on my bike and not a mile down the road I go to kick my bike into 5th and my foot slips right off the shifter, I look at my foot and it is covered in oil. I pulled over and found my oil filter was loose, it took a good two turns or so to get it seated right again, luckily my oil level was still in the safe area in the sight glass, but there was oil everyone, though none on the tires yet.

Question is, could this have been a result of vibrations from the high revs at the Dragon working the filter loose? If so, why didn't it happen until the next day? Or is this more likely the cause of someone tampering with my bike while it was parked at the inn? I'm probably going to start safety wiring my filters to guard against either possibility, just curious to find out if someone was trying to make me crash, which would probably have happened on all those twisty roads if oil had gotten on my tires.

Ive been doing oil changes using these filters on my own bikes for years, and cars for even longer and have never seen this problem.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Probably vibration. Easier than safety wire is to get a large hoseclamp, and fit it around the filter such that the clamp screw will prevent rotation of the filter.

PhilB

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
It is sabotage! Were the black helicopters following you?

I don't think you got the filter tight enough after the oil change and it just loosened up on you

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is sabotage! Were the black helicopters following you?

I don't think you got the filter tight enough after the oil change and it just loosened up on you
Believe it or not it has happened. I've had people knock my bike over, pour coffee all over it, smash berries on it, and one guy even covered it in candy canes, so it's not too far of a stretch to think someone would unscrew my oil filter, though I don't think that's what happened. I assumed it was vibration, but it didn't make sense to me that it was fine when I parked it and then as soon as I start it up in the morning it's super loose and puking oil.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
178 Posts
Believe it or not it has happened. I've had people knock my bike over, pour coffee all over it, smash berries on it, and one guy even covered it in candy canes, so it's not too far of a stretch to think someone would unscrew my oil filter, though I don't think that's what happened. I assumed it was vibration, but it didn't make sense to me that it was fine when I parked it and then as soon as I start it up in the morning it's super loose and puking oil.

Temperature shifts loosen things. You went from hot all day to cooling off over night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That sounds backwards, only thing I know of that expands at colder temps is water when freezing. Most everything else expands when heated.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Don't buy into all the BS about vibration and heat cycles. Clearly someone is trying to kill you. Most likely a Miata driver.

Tell me, did you see any Miatas on the Dragon? Maybe a Miata club, even? Was there a Miata or two parked at your hotel?

You're just lucky they only loosened your oil filter. The really devious Miata drivers will loosen your front brake caliper bleeder screw a half turn or so.

The Corvette drivers are just as murderous, but they're not as clever.

Next time wheel the bike into your hotel room for the night.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't buy into all the BS about vibration and heat cycles. Clearly someone is trying to kill you. Most likely a Miata driver.

Tell me, did you see any Miatas on the Dragon? Maybe a Miata club, even? Was there a Miata or two parked at your hotel?

You're just lucky they only loosened your oil filter. The really devious Miata drivers will loosen your front brake caliper bleeder screw a half turn or so.

The Corvette drivers are just as murderous, but they're not as clever.

Next time wheel the bike into your hotel room for the night.
Apparently people didn't get the sarcasm in the thread title. But this is hilarious because there was a Miata club at the Dragon at the same time, there was even a Miata at the hotel!

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
The K&N filter is tapped for safety wire. i wire all of my bikes, street and track, just to be safe. its 3 minutes of peace of mind.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
The K&N filter is tapped for safety wire. i wire all of my bikes, street and track, just to be safe. its 3 minutes of peace of mind.
Just don't rely on harbor freight so called safety wire. It's not at all suitable fir the job. It was doubled up on my front sprocket and still broke.
Come to find out they make no claim of it being safety wire on their website any longer. It says it's for arts and crafts.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Oh and check to make sure the o ring is there. Sounds like it could of been damaged or the old one was still there.

The only time I've personally seen something like thus happen the filter was faulty and not flowing causing the o ring to blow out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Not to feed his paranoia, but people do this shit to bikes. There was only one night I kept my bike at my apartment complex. I had the kickstand on a self-made puck (just a smashed coke can), and when I left the next afternoon, the bike was in the same spot, but with the mirror moved and the puck missing. Someone got on my bike and fucked with it for no apparent reason, and the puck was nowhere to be found. Since then, I trust no one. People are psychotic.

·
Human After All
4,687 Posts
Not to feed his paranoia, but people do this shit to bikes. There was only one night I kept my bike at my apartment complex. I had the kickstand on a self-made puck (just a smashed coke can), and when I left the next afternoon, the bike was in the same spot, but with the mirror moved and the puck missing. Someone got on my bike and fucked with it for no apparent reason, and the puck was nowhere to be found. Since then, I trust no one. People are psychotic.
Back in college I had an apartment where they didn't mind light maintenance done in the parking lot so long as it wasn't messy, so I had my fairings off for... some reason. Went inside for five minutes to go pee, came back out and someone had walked off with the center piece between the main fairing panels that covers the header that had been sitting with the rest of the fairing parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts