Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to use a water wetter for the track this weekend and my engine ran so cool, much cooler than with anti-freeze in it. I do have to drain it as it is in with tap water (I didn't have distilled at the time).

Do any of you guys/girls use it with distilled for on the street?

·
Registered
545 Posts
You're supposed to use it in conjunction with antifreeze. Not just plain water.

I wonder what a whole tank of waterwetter would do?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use it w/ only distilled water. I ran it for my last trackday and the bike ran about 7º cooler than regular coolant. I would drain it every 3~4 months, or every 3~4 trackdays, or 2~3 races.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
AEgeus said:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dunno what magical fairy told you that, but watter wetter is supposed to be used with distilled water. Yes I use it on the street, all the time.

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
AEgeus said:
Use it with antifreeze only if you want the antifreezing properties, some climates dont have to worry about it.

I run it with 70% H2O and 30% propoleyne glycol, and it runs about ten degrees cooler.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Water Wetter is not meant to be used on the street. You're basically giving up all of the anti-corrosive properties of anti-freeze, and all if the anti-freezing properties too.

BTW, a minor change like 7 degrees could be caused by a cooler day, increased speed of air over the radiator at track speeds, or not being in traffic.

Water Wetter may work, but it isn't a substitute for anti-freeze. Sanctioning bodies require it because it is less slippery when it spills out.

·
Registered
308 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Water Wetter is not meant to be used on the street. You're basically giving up all of the anti-corrosive properties of anti-freeze, and all if the anti-freezing properties too.

BTW, a minor change like 7 degrees could be caused by a cooler day, increased speed of air over the radiator at track speeds, or not being in traffic.

Water Wetter may work, but it isn't a substitute for anti-freeze. Sanctioning bodies require it because it is less slippery when it spills out.
Yes, you're correct Jim. But out here in S.Cal, our temps never reach freezing, so we'll never need to add the anti-freeze properties w/ the WW. My last trackday was 8/7 and temps were close if not more than 100ºF. Sitting at idle.... the WW will cause the bike to run hotter than regular coolant, but once I get on the track, temps do indeed run cooler w/ WW.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Anti-freeze does more than change the boiling and freezing temps of the water. It has keeps corrosion to a minimum, keeps mineral deposits from forming, and has a lubricant to help lube the water pump and seals in the cooling system. Street bikes should not use water wetter only, unless they like replacing cooling system components. As it was said before, racing bodies use the water wetter for RACE BIKES because it is not as slippery as anti-freeze. Nobody wants a rock in the radiator, have it leave a puddle, and have the next 5 riders biff it in the next turn.

Besides, your bikes are set up at the factory to run at a certain temperature. Exceed, or dip below that temperature specification for an extended time and you increase the chances for wear on your motorcycle.

·
Registered
926 Posts
i use it in my aprilia's...the gixxer (street bike) just gets regular ol' coolant.

·
Registered
545 Posts
jim schmidt said:

"WaterWetter® is a unique wetting agent for cooling systems which reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30ºF. This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines, which provides much better heat transfer properties than glycol-based antifreeze. Or it can be added to new or used antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems. Designed for modern aluminum, cast iron, copper, brass and bronze systems. Compatible with all antifreezes, including the latest long-life variations. " (taken from Redlines site)

Why not on the street? People put performance parts on their cars/bike for the street...why not coolant additive?

firefighter81 said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dunno what magical fairy told you that, but watter wetter is supposed to be used with distilled water. Yes I use it on the street, all the time.
Sorry, I should have said:

AEgeus said:
You can use it in conjunction with antifreeze. Not just plain water.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Welcome to the world of hyperbole. Might be interesting to call your manufacturer and see what they recommend. But what you've quoted is similar to what all the specialty fluid manufacturers say about their products: Big benefit, no price.

I think you'll find that two statements exist in the bowels of WW literature. One, that it provides adequate corrosion protection. Two that all coolants should be changed every year. Wonder why they quietly recommend this accelerated flush rate?

And they don't, AFAIK, make any claims about lubrication.

It probably wouldn't hurt to throw some in your 50/50 mix. But it's still no substitute for the regular stuff. But like fancy sparkplugs, etc., unless you are having a problem, it won't make anything better.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
-----
This liquid product can be used to provide rust and corrosion protection in plain water for racing engines
------

RACING ENGINES. They say that because it does provide better rust and corrosion proctection than water in Racing Engines because EHTYL GLYCOL AND IT'S VARIANTS ARE NOT LEGAL IN MANY RACING BODIES.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm...so pretty much it is not a great idea to use it on the street...so I have to go back to regular anti-freeze then? We just don't get the colder temps down here in the winter and that's why I thought I could run it (with distilled water of course).

Do you think it would be alright if I did the 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water wetter? What about this Engine Ice? Some people told me it's good, others said it isn't..what is your guys take on that too?

·
Registered
648 Posts
i just replaced the stock coolant with engine ice. haven't heard the fan kick on yet. only been 90 degrees last couple of days. fz doens't have temp gauge so i can't say if engine is running cooler.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
what is wrong with a nice 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled? If there was a magic liquid that worked better than everything else, don't you think the engineers would be running it in the bikes from the factory? Comon people, do yourself and your bike a favor and just run 50/50 coolant. You can add a bit of water wetter if you are riding it consistently in traffic. If you are really having over heating problems. Try making the bike run a tad richer, or get an ECM programmer and have the fans turn on at a lower temp. Even yet, attach another fan to the radiator.

·
Registered
605 Posts
water is the best coolant, period. you add antifreeze to help with freeze ups and boil overs, and corriosion. If you live in a warm climate that will never see cold temps all you have to run is water with a pint of anti corriosion stuff and it will be fine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
RSixxygrl said:
hmmm...so pretty much it is not a great idea to use it on the street...so I have to go back to regular anti-freeze then? We just don't get the colder temps down here in the winter and that's why I thought I could run it (with distilled water of course).

Do you think it would be alright if I did the 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water wetter? What about this Engine Ice? Some people told me it's good, others said it isn't..what is your guys take on that too?
Sixxy- in the mustang (summer car) i cut 20% regular anti-freeze, just for the anti-corrosion properties.

It is fine for the street.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts