Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken the DMV motorcycle road test? If so, any advice on it, especially compared to the final evaluation of the MSF BRC? Also, how strict are they with things such as putting down a foot on the u-turn, etc?

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Not sure how they do up in the North, here in TN. they have you drive up the block and back and it's done.

·
Registered
153 Posts
what dmv testing site are you going to randolf is hard and they are strict but you can rent a moped for a 100.00 dollers they meet you there and they show you the test you have to take then you will do it with ese

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Took mine in Lodi, NJ on a 600cc Kan-o-tuna.

Foot down 1 point deduction (each time), Think you start with 15 points and must have 10 or more remaining when finished. Hit a cone 2 points. Dump the bike, trailer it home..

Be sure your helmet is DOT and has the required 1 square inch of reflective material on both sides or you will not even start the test... (visor must be down while testing, so heavy breathing from nerves will fog you up...use your anti-fog stuff)

My helmet had a red and white reflective stripe around the whole thing and I had to show the guy that it was indeed reflective...

Guy taking the test before me got the the "high speed stop" section of the test....
Excellerated, got the the stop box.. Locked the front up and did and incredible wheel stand.
(didn't go over, but had that rear tire so high the bike was almost perpendicular to the ground.......and came back down, feet on the pegs.)

The tester said he never saw someone take the rear tire up so high and come back down with both feet on the pegs..... Let him pass...!

Good Luck!
Keep us posted!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its fairly easy on a scooter. After an hour of practice you should have it down pat. The inspectors are pretty easy going. Dont use a sportbike, unless youve been riding for a long time and can pull a u-turn in your driveway.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input.
I'm thinking about renting a scooter for it. I know for the DMV driving test, you have to be diligent with things like signalling, checking blind spots, etc. Do you have to do the same for the motorcycle test?
Damn, that sucks about the reflective tape on the helmet. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fireblaz said:
what dmv testing site are you going to randolf is hard and they are strict but you can rent a moped for a 100.00 dollers they meet you there and they show you the test you have to take then you will do it with ese
Do you know the name of the moped company? I thought you have to use either a motorcycle or scooter. Isn't there a completely seperate test for mopeds?

·
Registered
153 Posts
no there is not a seperate test for mopeds rt 15 honda yamaha in jefferson has a card on the table there so if you go there or try calling them up to get the number

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shamster go to MotorcycleRoadTest.com there you will get all the info you need to contact the right people to get the scooter for your test. She will provide the helmet as well so dont worry about yours. She gives you 30-60 minutes to practice on a chalked out course that she set up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i took the text in cherry hill, if you anywhere near there you can rent a scooter from cycle world on rt 70 for only 60dollars. you get an hour to practice with it before you take your test. i was surprised how easy the test was. anyone who spends a little bit of time on the scooter can pass with the scooter no problem, im sure wit would be alot more difficult using a bike, i highly advise getting a scooter and you will have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Like a dumb ass, i took my road test on a 01 R1. It was like 35 degrees outside and I couldn't get the bike to warm up. Luckily I passed

·
Registered
38 Posts
seala8 said:
wat did they make you do for your test? i will be taking mine on a yahmaha yzf1000. wat do you think>
I think you are nuts. Something maybe a little smaller, and something that if you whack the throttle or roll on it too much the wheel isnt going to go towards the sky.

·
Registered
3 Posts
chrisallen said:
I think you are nuts. Something maybe a little smaller, and something that if you whack the throttle or roll on it too much the wheel isnt going to go towards the sky.
ya i figured you guys would say that. ive practiced a little bit on it. im gonna take it on this bike first because i have access to this bike and its free for me to use. if i fail (hopefully i dont) i will prolly rent a scooter

·
Registered
99 Posts
:cheers Congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
congrats, now what are you gonna do now that it's freezing out? lol put it away for winter? sometimes i like global warming... gives us good riding days

1 - 20 of 32 Posts