Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an MSF Instructor here on base in Italy, and we teach to: "gear up for the ride, not for the crash." But I hate teaching it because I don't agree with it. I think it gives new riders a false sense of security and an excuse for not wearing proper gear. Maybe I'm not taking the quote the same way as others do. But personally, I gear up for the crash, because I know what's it like to have minor crashes, and what it's like to have major ones. Anyone wanna give me some input on this, maybe a fellow MSF instructor? Anyone though really.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i've always heard and supported "dress for the crash, not the ride" ...hmm...but you're correct, that sounds weird...

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I agree. That sounds like you're going to some fashion show. Screw that. If I wanted to gear for the ride, I'm sure I could find something much nicer looking than a CE approved armored jacket, kevlar-enforced gloves and... Well, my helmet is pretty nice. But still. I wear my gear because when I do meet Ms. Sand and Mr. Asphault, I want to be dressed right.

·
Registered
317 Posts
...but my gear looks fresh too...so i guess i do dress for the ride! haha...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I've been a scuba instructor for 14 years, and disagree with the party line on certain issues. I teach that the training organization says X, "but let me tell you my thoughts on this subject." I specify that if they are quizzed on the issue, give the party line, but think about the issue for themselves and make up their own mind.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've been doing that myself. "They say dress for the ride right here in the book, from personal experience I am reccomending you dress for the crash as well"

People seem to understand, but I get the occasional squid who doesn't want to wear anything. Military standards aren't exactly that high for riding gear anyways. Long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle shoes, any kind of gloves (not enforced), and that stupid reflective vest that no one wears. I see guys all the time just riding around in BDU's and a helmet, makes me shake my head everytime.

·
Registered
183 Posts
firefighter81 said:
People seem to understand, but I get the occasional squid who doesn't want to wear anything. Military standards aren't exactly that high for riding gear anyways. Long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle shoes, any kind of gloves (not enforced), and that stupid reflective vest that no one wears. I see guys all the time just riding around in BDU's and a helmet, makes me shake my head everytime.

Strange - The MSF here teaches "Dress for the Crash" and the Navy did the same (in the 80's anyways...). As for not enforcing gear: That must depend on the command - When I was in the Navy the helmets, jackets, O/T/A boots, and gloves were most certainly enforced. As well as the reflective vest (which everyone promptly removed upon leaving the base...But it was enforced...)

When did the MSF change the manual??

Scott

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
I definatley gear up for the crash. If I was only gearing up for a ride I'd wear a tshirt and shorts. But since I like my skin where its at I wear a lot more. Hey I used to live in Aviano also. You got some good roads going up to Piancavallo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Scotteq said:
Strange - The MSF here teaches "Dress for the Crash" and the Navy did the same (in the 80's anyways...). As for not enforcing gear: That must depend on the command - When I was in the Navy the helmets, jackets, O/T/A boots, and gloves were most certainly enforced. As well as the reflective vest (which everyone promptly removed upon leaving the base...But it was enforced...)

When did the MSF change the manual??

Scott
Not as of this March. I took the MSF experieced rider course again because the last MSF course I took was over 10 years ago, so my command made me go back.

Still the same rules in the navy. I HATE that gay ass vest! If the cars miss the headlights on the bike they are not going to see the stinking vest. It's just one more headache pulling it on and off because daddy Navy says it's safe. Even if the $800+ dollars worth of gear I'm usually wearing isn't refective enough.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm with Gasm here. Gearing up for the ride would be shorts, t-shirt, and a helmet. That would be SO comfortable and convenient, yet I wear all my gear and lug it into class. Go get tested for dyslexia; you must have read the manual wrong. The idea of the Motorcycle SAFETY Foundation teaching people not to wear the safest gear is absolutely ridiculous.

And it's funny that someone mentioned Aviano, because that's where I once decided that I had to get a motorcycle someday. I was staying in Aviano and drove north one afternoon, just exploring those hills. As I was going up a windy road, I passed a couple (guy and girl) tearing their way down on sportbikes in full leathers. I said to myself, "Oh fuck yeah, I want THAT."

·
Registered
584 Posts
we don't have to wear a vest. We can get get one of those reflective belts. It's funny seeing people in the line to get in the gate, and they're scrambling, putting those on

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe we've got a different manual, but it's an MSF manual, they even mentioned "dress for the ride" in the instructor course. I don't know what's going on here. Lol, this Air Force base seems to be ass backwards on alot of stuff though.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
i'm pretty sure they say "Dress for the crash".....i have class this weekend, i'll pay careful attention to the vid's......

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
I can't find either statement in either the Rider Handbook or the Ridercoach Guide. Are we saying that it is in the training aids? If so, and if I remember correctly, it refers to dressing for weather rather than as an alternative to dressing for the crash. Is this the old video or the goofy one?

They do seem to want to get rid of all negative references (like to crashing) though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Even if it does say "dress for the ride", I can't imagine that EVER meaning no gear at all.

Wearing just a T-shirt in hot weather is actually more tiring than wearing a jacket. It's like riding with a hair dryer aimed at your chest. At speed, you're getting hot air blown over your body with nothing to stop it. Add a jacket, and your body can actually cool more effectively.

Motorcycle gear isn't just for protecting you from a crash - it's also designed to manage the elements, protect from road debris and bugs, to enhance control of the bike, to reduce fatigue, maximize your conspicuity on the road, etc.

There's never a good reason for t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't have to wear that stupid vest anymore.

I think the MSF is inadequate for sport bike riders.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
firefighter81 said:
I'm an MSF Instructor here on base in Italy, and we teach to: "gear up for the ride, not for the crash." But I hate teaching it because I don't agree with it. I think it gives new riders a false sense of security and an excuse for not wearing proper gear. Maybe I'm not taking the quote the same way as others do. But personally, I gear up for the crash, because I know what's it like to have minor crashes, and what it's like to have major ones. Anyone wanna give me some input on this, maybe a fellow MSF instructor? Anyone though really.
I was stationed in Aviano in 1997, not that this has anything to do with your post, just made me miss that good, cheap wine :)

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Mykl said:
I don't have to wear that stupid vest anymore.

I think the MSF is inadequate for sport bike riders.
i would say 15% of the students are sportbiker's......it's hard enough getting these to take the class, let alone another class.........

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The main reason for wearing gear is not for crashing because we arent crashing often. The main reason is for comfort. Keeping the hot sun off our skin, reducing wind burn and dehydration and protection from small rocks and bugs and visibility are some of the main reasons we should wear a motorcycle jacket. Riding around in a T shirt is NOT dressing for the ride.

So when its said to dress for the ride it means that by wearing something for all the above reasons, you automaticaly have something available for a crash.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts