Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I'm out riding in the state gamelands, and I had just ridden a stretch of road which started with a sign stating "winding road next 5 1/4 miles". I thought that road was going to bring me out on a 2 lane rural highway, but I was wrong. After 5 1/4 miles of winding road, I approached another sign that said "Pavement Ends".

The road was mainly dirt with a small amount of gravel on it, which was really just pressed into the dirt. I knew I couldn't be too far from where I wanted to be, so I went ahead and took the dirt road, even though I know my '90 Kat isn't really the right bike for the job.

I ended up riding about 6 miles on the unpaved road, rather than turn around and go nearly 40 miles out of my way to get where I was going. I didn't have any problems riding on this, I kept my speed below 30 MPH, and about 5 MPH on the sharper turns. At low speeds, I hit just my rear brake a few times just to see how much traction I had, and there was more than I would have expected.

Not that I plan on making this a regular occasion, but has anyone else experienced a situation like this and ridden off the pavement successfully on a sportbike?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I've off-roaded a sportbike more times than I can recall. Most of them were intentional.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I drove mine once on a gravel road. It was road construction and it said local traffic only but I wasnt going to go around because I didnt know any of the other roads besides the one I was on. I took it slow and I was fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in the country and down a dirt road. Have ridden on many dirt roads with no problem. My cousin and I when we were less experienced and thought we were invincible even out ran cops on a dirt road once. top speed about 96mph. There quite a bit of traction on a smooth dirt road. It sucks just after they grade it though. That can throw you all over the road.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Had a similar situation on several occasions. Rather than turn back or go way out of the way, forge ahead for a few miles on dirt/gravel. It can get a little more challenging if you throw in water/mud as well.

Other than watching for reduced traction and taking it easy, following someone else too closely can result in a lot of dust. You might want to check your air filter and chain after a run like that.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I live on a dirt circle at the end of a dirt road...With the rain we have had lately, it has been an extreme sport just to get to the pavement...

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I have to ride a dirt road every day to get to work.. No problem.. Even started to "play" a little on it with burnouts..

Once, I thought I was going to die.. last year, was having fun in the middle of BFE, a LOOONNGGGG straight road.. See what she can do.. at night.. no streetlights.. Well, about 120 MPH, no signs or anything, road turns to gravel.. Not hard packed dirt, but gravel... Felt like I was trying to ride a slinky, my bike was all over the place. Had to dip my foot about a dozen times, and God knows how long later, finally got it stopped.. Scared the piss out of me..

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have about a mile of gravel to ride before I reach pavement (live on a farm), so I've done it pretty much every day I've ridden. I havent tried anything, and usually just take it at an easy 30 km/h, give or take a bit. I would go faster, but the oilfield uses this road alot so they keep it nicely grated and I feel like I'm practically swimming up it :X oh well, I'm surviving. just hafta clean that chain alot more often, and watch out for a while longer after rain

·
Registered
289 Posts
I live on a farm too, and live on a gravel road. At first, it's kind of intimidating, but after a while, just like with a car or truck, it's second nature. I rode my bike a couple miles down gravel roads a couple days ago, because I had cows out, and my truck was hooked up to a livestock trailer, and the bike was the only vehicle I had. I parked it on the bridge, got the cows back in, fixed the fence and rode back home. After running around chasing the cows, the wind on the bike felt pretty damn good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts