Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a sportbike for years...and now that I'm 19, I can now afford to purchase one. I'm keeping my car incase it rains or whatnot, but the more I can help think I have no need for a sportbike.

1. I can't take it to work because I have no place to store my gear.
2. I can't take it to college becuase I don't think I can balance 25+ pounds of books on my back traveling 70 mph on the highway.
3. I'm afraid somebody might tip it over or sit on it while it's parked in the lot.

These seem small, but to me make such a big problem to me looking to buy a sportbike. Please give me reasons to reassure myself that buying a bike is a good thing :D

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
I am at college and i have an R6, and here is why it rules...

1. great gas mileage
2. "Hey baby, you wanna ride on my bike?"
3. anyone talking about how fast thier car is will be shut up when you race them
4. i hope your books don't weigh 25+ pounds
5. if you haven't ridden one, you can't understand how awesome it really is
6. resale value kicks ass, so you wouldn't be wasting much money

that is all i got for now... but think about it this way, would you really be disappointed if you did buy the bike?

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
if you didnt want the bike you wouldnt of mentioned it

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
fierospeeder said:
when you wreck, you can sell the parts really cheap to us on ebay.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That's a good one. I hope he gets a Ducati Monster 750 then...

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
If you want a bike, you might actually enjoy it more once you get out of school. School and studying usually take up a lot of time and then if you have a job to go to, it just means less time to enjoy a bike. I'm just guessing that you are either living in a dorm or appartment, and if that's the case, I know I feel much better having a garage that I can keep my bike in at night all safe and sound. Just some things to consider.

I know a lot of guys have bikes while in college, but I'm all for concentrating on getting you education. In the long run it will be much more beneficial than getting a sportbike too soon.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Yeah, you probably shouldn't get a sportbike. Happy trails.

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Justin726 said:
If you want a bike, you might actually enjoy it more once you get out of school. School and studying usually take up a lot of time and then if you have a job to go to, it just means less time to enjoy a bike. I'm just guessing that you are either living in a dorm or appartment, and if that's the case, I know I feel much better having a garage that I can keep my bike in at night all safe and sound. Just some things to consider.

I know a lot of guys have bikes while in college, but I'm all for concentrating on getting you education. In the long run it will be much more beneficial than getting a sportbike too soon.

Dude's got a point.

If you buy one now, you'll end up with a used bike, or a new bike that's not the greatest, like a Ninja 500R or something. Good bikes, but not the ones that everyone drools over.

However, if you work on your schooling, and get a degree in whatever, you'll be able to buy the Ninja 500R, ride it for a couple of seasons, then buy an MV Augusta, or a Ducati, or something that is exotic and expensive.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
whats this bs bout not being able to have a nice bike in college? i got a 954 and im in college. granted i park it inside(living room) so im not too worried bout vandalism, but you can pull it off dude. put a cover on it and park it in a good area. not only is it a good escape from classes/studying, it helps pick up girls :bj :2fingers :bananafu:

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you haven't riden one, find someone who will let you ride theirs. After riding one = you will want one forever. tis simple as that. there are sportbike riders, and then there is everybody else.
also, having a bike during school is great;
1. Take a look at the good ole gas prices. I have a long drive to school and work. I choose the 40 mpg (not too sure) over the 14mpg my truck gets.
2. Chicks dig bikes
3. You can leave for school/work 15 minutes later than you normally would.
4. What are these "books" you talk of? Just don't bring them, that's what I do.
5. It is 2:40 in the morning and my brain can't think now, but there are many more reasons.

Reasons not to get a bike
1. ......................................................... exactly

·
Registered
69 Posts
Crimson said:
I've been wanting a sportbike for years...and now that I'm 19, I can now afford to purchase one. I'm keeping my car incase it rains or whatnot, but the more I can help think I have no need for a sportbike.

1. I can't take it to work because I have no place to store my gear.
2. I can't take it to college becuase I don't think I can balance 25+ pounds of books on my back traveling 70 mph on the highway.
3. I'm afraid somebody might tip it over or sit on it while it's parked in the lot.

These seem small, but to me make such a big problem to me looking to buy a sportbike. Please give me reasons to reassure myself that buying a bike is a good thing :D

Responses:

General: Nobody NEEDS a motorcycle. It's a WANT. Deal with it. Life's too short to not enjoy yourself. Also, don't be a pansy. There's nothing wrong with riding in the rain. Buy good leather gear, mid-calf boots, and some leather protector/waterproofing....or textile and rain gear.

1. Do people at your workplace not wear coats? Where do they store them? How about underneath/on your chair...On a desk? Be creative.

2. LEARN to ride with shit on your back, and get a bike with a riding position you can lean on the tank to take the weight off your lower back on the highway. 25+lbs is NOTHING. I take mine CAMPING.

3. You can be just as afraid that someone will key/break into/sit on your car. On the bright side, a lot of campuses have free parking for bikes. Also, try and park near a bunch of other bikes...We tend to be protective of other's bikes too....safety in numbers.

MY OWN PERSONAL REASONS: It's the closest you'll ever be to having wings. Completely free, you can become one with your bike...and fly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Cause they rule.

Cause they rule.

Your reasons for not getting a bike make you sound like a candy assed bitch. Buy a Ninja 500/250 or GS500F and learn to ride while in college.

Once u graduate and get a real job, reward yourself with a 600cc Super Sport or whatever it is you want.

I'm doing the same thing now, only a little later and it rules.

BSc. == 500R
MSc. == Something faster.

·
Pre-register sex offender
1,091 Posts
i dont get the 25lbs thing..... some people have passangers, and their arent many humans that are less than 25 lbs :)

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Someone at work made me an offer I couldn't refuse on an ex500...I have ridden it pretty much every day for a year straight now. I pack my khakis, shirt and work shoes in my backpack and strap it to the seat. People think I'm crazy being 36 and all but I don't give a damn and my wife gets a kick out of it...so I ride
Before I rode this bike I didn't have a clue of what it was like to ride by myself on some country twisty road. Ahhhhh yeah.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Do you know why dogs hang their heads outside of car windows? No you don't. Those of us w/ bikes completely do. There's the main reason. And if you can't get laid w/o a bike, maybe that's nature's way of saying one of you is plenty. :twofinger

1 - 20 of 39 Posts