Sport Bikes banner

Digital gear indicator units..

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Karoshi 
#1 ·
Did a search came up empty but has anyone here ever tried one of these on our bikes ??
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/56-DIGI-1
or have and suggestions on anything similar ?
Yes I am one of them new guys with silly questions :flamed

#3 ·
I'd also be interested to know if anyone has tried it. I've been thinking of getting one. Not that it's necessary but it would be a cool gadget. I find myself doing the 6th gear tug even though I know the rev range - just need to be sure sometimes. Would be good for other gears when your pushing it outside your normal riding range andnever exactly sure which gear ur in (for me anyway).

#4 ·
That is a pretty cool tool. I was wondering if they made things like this just to have as a no-brainer. I'm pretty used to the bike now and knowing what gear I am in but I do still have some mishaps where this would come in handy.

#9 ·
I don't have an R6, but I have one on my '03 F4i. It's a novelty item, but a pretty damn neat one. Pictures below:

http://www.packetmonkey.net/gallery/digigear

It's always accurate as long as your clutch is not engaged. If your bike isn't in gear and you're coasting with the clutch pulled in, it doesn't always know what gear you're in. If you're actually in neutral it isn't a problem. Easy to install. Easy to program.

#10 ·
In time you'll learn the power band and the sound/feel of the bike and will have no need for one of these things.

-Q

#11 ·
MikeC said:
So is the tach...but it's a nice feature.

A tack is a very useful thing on a sportbike. In fact its the only thing needed on the track besides temp guage. A tach can be used to figure out where a bike pulls the hardest or has a flat spot.

A gear indicator is useless. You are either in the right gear or not. What number that gear is is irrelevant.

#12 ·
ckspeedr1 said:
I have this one, http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/56-ACU-4 , in blue... i like it....
Well thanks for the info so far guys.
Yeah how accurate is it and how much work to wire it up ? I also would prefer the blue one.
I think this would be a cool gadget is why I was thinking about getting one.
As far as once you get to know your bike more you won't use it much is true to0, just neat to be able to look down and know what gear your in and yes I am a new rider so any bit helps ;D

#13 ·
A gear indicator is useless. You are either in the right gear or not. What number that gear is is irrelevant.
I totally agree with your statement and I think maybe the gear indicator is more a way of taking "one more thing to remember" out of the riding equation rather than an essential tool. I can see where a gear indicator could be very useful in that sense. IMO, anything that helps uncomplicate things, even a little thing like remembering what gear you're in, is a good thing.

#14 ·
You're all missing the point. The point being, the product is a novelty. A conversation piece. Fluff. It does aid in the ever embarrassing "searching for 7th gear" event that we all do from time to time, but little more than that is a stretch. It's a pretty little LED application that's as useful as spending money to have your bike chromed out, or your wheels painted, or any other frivolous expense pertaining to a motorcycle. It's eye candy. Nobody is suggesting the product has real performance benefits.

#15 ·
WTVa said:
Well thanks for the info so far guys.
Yeah how accurate is it and how much work to wire it up ? I also would prefer the blue one.
I think this would be a cool gadget is why I was thinking about getting one.
As far as once you get to know your bike more you won't use it much is true to0, just neat to be able to look down and know what gear your in and yes I am a new rider so any bit helps ;D
I think there is about 5 wires that you need to solder it. http://www.riderstation.com/riderstations/DG8appchart.html . it's accurate, takes a less than a second to display what gear it's in.

#16 · (Edited)
TheWraith said:
You're all missing the point. The point being, the product is a novelty. A conversation piece. Fluff. It does aid in the ever embarrassing "searching for 7th gear" event that we all do from time to time, but little more than that is a stretch. It's a pretty little LED application that's as useful as spending money to have your bike chromed out, or your wheels painted, or any other frivolous expense pertaining to a motorcycle. It's eye candy. Nobody is suggesting the product has real performance benefits.
Well said.............

#17 ·
Squid Killer said:
A tack is a very useful thing on a sportbike. In fact its the only thing needed on the track besides temp guage. A tach can be used to figure out where a bike pulls the hardest or has a flat spot.

My point was it is not essential - just like a gas gauge is not essential but nice to have. I don't look at the tach at all when I'm in the twisties - just rely on the feel of the bike.

As TheWraith stated - the gear indicator is a novelty item.

#18 ·
Nice to have ;)

My first bike had one of these built in it. It was a '78 Suzuki GS 550 LTD. I rather liked it. It helped when entering corners so I didn't down shift too far. It helped when teaching a friend how to shift when they didn't know how to drive using a clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.