Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and am considering a 600RR. I rode a friends 600RR which is a 2000 I believe. I like it. At first I thought the power would not be enough but it's pretty fast and should be fun to ride.

So now I have started shopping. Can you all provide some info on the differences between the 600RR, the F4i and the plain F4.

Thanks for any advice

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
the cbr f4 was made from 99-00. It was a carbed bike and the top of the line Honda 600 at the time.

The Cbr F4i is basically the same as the F4, but fuel injected. Made from 01-present. In 04 they switched the style of seat to a once piece instead of a split seat.

It was top of the line for a 600 until 03.

In 03 the CBR600RR came out. It's a little more race-oriented than the F4i. Just basically a newer generation bike with inverted forks and stuff like that. Better brakes, better suspension, etc, etc.

If you rode a 2000, it was an F4.

:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty fast.

From what I understand - the RR is more of a race-track bike and the F4i is slightly more comfortable. Other than that.... the RR has an exhaust that comes out the rear, as apposed to the side. I try not to have too much of an opinion in these type of threads because of my obvious biased view. So I'll stop right there.

By the way, your friend's CBR wasn't an RR. They didn't start making the RR until 2003.

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
cgchris99 said:
I'm new here and am considering a 600RR. I rode a friends 600RR which is a 2000 I believe. I like it. At first I thought the power would not be enough but it's pretty fast and should be fun to ride.

So now I have started shopping. Can you all provide some info on the differences between the 600RR, the F4i and the plain F4.

Thanks for any advice
If you rode a 2000 it was a CBR F4. They started making the F4i in 2001 and I believe the 600RR started in 2003.

As for the power not one of these bikes are good starter bikes.

·
Registered
869 Posts
kevinwilly said:
the cbr f4 was made from 99-00. It was a carbed bike and the top of the line Honda 600 at the time.

The Cbr F4i is basically the same as the F4, but fuel injected. Made from 01-present. In 04 they switched the style of seat to a once piece instead of a split seat.

It was top of the line for a 600 until 03.

In 03 the CBR600RR came out. It's a little more race-oriented than the F4i. Just basically a newer generation bike with inverted forks and stuff like that. Better brakes, better suspension, etc, etc.

If you rode a 2000, it was an F4.

:)
Damn, I typed too slowly.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Generally speaking, the newer the model the smaller and more painful it is. In real world riding you won't notice anything else really.

Starter bike? Ha. Many thought the F4 was actually a faster bike than the F4i for the track, though they're all about the same. If you have a lot of dirt experience you'll probably be okay. If you have no experience at all there's no way in hell I could recommend it. Master something smaller first if you want to be a better overall rider. Don't forget to buy some decent kit to go with it, which is about a grand minimum. It could save you thousands in hospital bills when you slide down the street. Just speaking from experience...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Chris, you should stick to archery, its alot cheaper. :cheers

Seriously, I went through all this at the begining of the year. Took the MSF course, bought a new sport bike (Suzuki SV650s). Shoot me a PM on ArcheryTalk, or give me a call, you should have my work number.

Paul

·
Registered
376 Posts
well, Ive never riddin a bike in my life until 3 years ago. Took the MSF course and bought me a 2000 F4. I can honestly say to date it was the most comfortable bike Ive been on. I rode that beast for 2 years before finally crashing out on a track day late in 2005 and then I came across a deal on an 03RR and repaired and repainted the F4. Id reccomend the F4 if you have a head on your shoulders and arent just out to blast around. So now I actually have both at my disposal, and while the RR is a much funner machine, the F4 destroys it in everyday riding comfort.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have an 06 600RR and I have to say other than the seat being a board I would never trade that bike for anything. It has plenty of go and is very "flickable".

The RR is very nicely made since it was modeled after the RC211V.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
I've owned both an f4i and a 600rr. As a streetbike the f4i is superior. Comfort and 95% of the performance. (which is still 10% more than you're using on the street anyway)

600rr: Pros-Great suspension/handling, great power, reliable.
Cons-Poor low/midrange power, uncomfortable seat.

F4i: Pros-Comfortable, good midrange and top end power, reliable.
Cons-Doesn't have the most current goodies (inverted forks, etc....), cam chain tensioner rattle.

Can't go wrong with either bike. The 600rr is a track/canyon strafer. The F4i is a much better streetbike that is still fully capable of being a track weapon. Neither is a very good starter bike, although I learned on a 600rr and didn't crash. Your mileage may vary. On either it is ridiculous to not think the power would be enough. These aren't cars kid, its not about how much motor you've got, its about whether you know how to ride.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
cheekybeast said:
I'd say the f4 makes an okay starting bike if you have a good head
yer 18? how much experience do you have? And before you get yer tits in a knot, no, im not flaming you.
BUT, why are you recommending an F4 as a beginner bike? :scratchhead

·
cheekybeast
1,557 Posts
yer 18? how much experience do you have? And before you get yer tits in a knot, no, im not flaming you.
BUT, why are you recommending an F4 as a beginner bike? :scratchhead
good question. Im sitting at about 15000 miles I THINK, i lost track after about 10,000.... how about you?

F4 makes a fine starter bike if you arent an idiot, disagree if you want its my opinion, it's also my opinion that ninja 250r's are poop.

·
Registered
245 Posts
yeah, the f4 obviously isn't the best bike to start on, but it's not unreasonable in the least. its no doubt a very quick bike and can get a jackass in over his head real quick, but its by no means "scary" fast and barely lifts the front (~1ft) w/ a hard launch in first (unless you pin the throttle and drop the clutch). unfortunately for f4 owners, banana seat=:barf

1 - 20 of 35 Posts