Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference, both technical and actual, between the stock forks and the 2003 R6 forks. I'm curious as to whether it's worth the money to do the mod, for commute riding (basically non track riding).

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
IMHO, for commuting, stick with the stock and save your cash.

The R6 forks are adjustable and better suited for the weekend warrior or someone who's looking for a track bike setup.

·
Registered
803 Posts
04Fizzer said:
IMHO, for commuting, stick with the stock and save your cash.

The R6 forks are adjustable and better suited for the weekend warrior or someone who's looking for a track bike setup.

I somewhat disagree. The forks being adjustable is only part of it. The brake upgrade that goes along with this is worth the money. I wasn't going to do it at first and then after getting into a couple of sticky spots with cages and really having to lean on the brakes, I quickly realized that the factory brakes on the front of the FZ6 are substandard. If felt like when your peddle in your cars goes nuts from you antilock brakes working, only it was from the front pads chattering in the calipers. The R6 calipers that you would be using if you do the mod are much much nicer, reguardless if its for the track or everyday use.

Just my two cents.... :beer

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Metric said:
I somewhat disagree. The forks being adjustable is only part of it. The brake upgrade that goes along with this is worth the money. I wasn't going to do it at first and then after getting into a couple of sticky spots with cages and really having to lean on the brakes, I quickly realized that the factory brakes on the front of the FZ6 are substandard. If felt like when your peddle in your cars goes nuts from you antilock brakes working, only it was from the front pads chattering in the calipers. The R6 calipers that you would be using if you do the mod are much much nicer, reguardless if its for the track or everyday use.

Just my two cents.... :beer
Just a thought, but do you think that stainless brake lines would have made a difference in that situation? That's a much cheaper alternative to the R6 mod.

·
Registered
803 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Just a thought, but do you think that stainless brake lines would have made a difference in that situation? That's a much cheaper alternative to the R6 mod.

I don't know if that would fix it or not. I have to admit that I didn't try that. But on the other hand, the R6 calipers don't chatter with factory hoses. I sill feel that the brake improvement is worthy, at least it was for me.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Metric said:
I don't know if that would fix it or not. I have to admit that I didn't try that. But on the other hand, the R6 calipers don't chatter with factory hoses. I sill feel that the brake improvement is worthy, at least it was for me.
And it's something that you don't exactly WANT to test. I'll more than likely go the braided hose route LONG before I swap out the forks, but that's just me.

·
Registered
803 Posts
You definetly don't WANT to test them in an emergency, but I have ridden an R6 pretty hard giving the brakes a fair amount of hell before I bought my FZ. So I was familiar with what they were like before the brakes on the FZ rattled my cage when I needed them most....in a semi emergency situation. And after I did the R6 upgrade I did take them out on a black top road near my house to verify the difference. I can go from 50mph to a dead stop very hard and not get a bid of chatter our of the brakes now, where as before hand it was a somewhat scary experience. I agree with you that for everyday riding, the forks are probably not a big neccesity for most people, but if you get into an emergency, the brake upgrade is a big help. Even if the stopping distance is only a couple of feet difference, at least for me I won't have the extra panic associated with me worrying that my front brakes that are chattering louder then my teeth are about to give out while I'm trying to avoid some dummy that just pulled out in front of me. I'm obviously an advocate for the brakes because of a couple of bad experiences with the factory FZ brakes.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Metric said:
You definetly don't WANT to test them in an emergency, but I have ridden an R6 pretty hard giving the brakes a fair amount of hell before I bought my FZ. So I was familiar with what they were like before the brakes on the FZ rattled my cage when I needed them most....in a semi emergency situation. And after I did the R6 upgrade I did take them out on a black top road near my house to verify the difference. I can go from 50mph to a dead stop very hard and not get a bid of chatter our of the brakes now, where as before hand it was a somewhat scary experience. I agree with you that for everyday riding, the forks are probably not a big neccesity for most people, but if you get into an emergency, the brake upgrade is a big help. Even if the stopping distance is only a couple of feet difference, at least for me I won't have the extra panic associated with me worrying that my front brakes that are chattering louder then my teeth are about to give out while I'm trying to avoid some dummy that just pulled out in front of me. I'm obviously an advocate for the brakes because of a couple of bad experiences with the factory FZ brakes.
I see where you're coming from. The funny thing is, he originally asked about the forks. lol. It's amazing how quickly a post can get off topic.

Now you've got my brain wondering (although I'm sure others have looked into it already) about fabbing up a bracket to mount an R6 caliper without having to swap forks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah, there is a bit of difference in the ride. I happen to like the difference even just around town. I'll never use them to there fullest potential though. Like 04Fizzer said, for most people, most people probably wouldn't warrant the cost for the difference unless you want to do a track day now and then. The brakes however I think are a great upgrade.

Fizzer, I did look at makeing a bracket and decided it wasn't something I wanted to mess with....to much risk factory for me.

Let me add a bit to this so that I don't get hammered by all the guys that really enjoyed the fork upgrade. The R6 forks do change the way the bike handles corners and how it acts in a hard braking situation. When you do apply the muscle to the better brakes, the R6 forks handle all the pressure very nicely, very little dive compared to the FZ6 forks. And as for the cornering, the bike feels much more solid. It made me feel much more comfortable really leaning the bike over into a corner. And just to add to the conversation, when you add a nice adjustable rear shock to the front fork upgrade, it gets even better. What it really comes down to as far as the suspension goes, is what kind of riding do you want to do. If you just enjoy tooling around enjoying the nice weather in the evening, then your not going to care. If you want to take your bike to the trake a couple of weekends during the summer or just enjoy being able to 60mph+ on a cloverleaf, then you will like the suspension improvements. And lets not forget those of us, that just like to tinker with our bikes for the fun of it...... :beer

·
Registered
858 Posts
Metric said:
Yeah, there is a bit of difference in the ride. I happen to like the difference even just around town. I'll never use them to there fullest potential though. Like 04Fizzer said, for most people, most people probably wouldn't warrant the cost for the difference unless you want to do a track day now and then. The brakes however I think are a great upgrade.

Fizzer, I did look at makeing a bracket and decided it wasn't something I wanted to mess with....to much risk factory for me.

Let me add a bit to this so that I don't get hammered by all the guys that really enjoyed the fork upgrade. The R6 forks do change the way the bike handles corners and how it acts in a hard braking situation. When you do apply the muscle to the better brakes, the R6 forks handle all the pressure very nicely, very little dive compared to the FZ6 forks. And as for the cornering, the bike feels much more solid. It made me feel much more comfortable really leaning the bike over into a corner. And just to add to the conversation, when you add a nice adjustable rear shock to the front fork upgrade, it gets even better. What it really comes down to as far as the suspension goes, is what kind of riding do you want to do. If you just enjoy tooling around enjoying the nice weather in the evening, then your not going to care. If you want to take your bike to the trake a couple of weekends during the summer or just enjoy being able to 60mph+ on a cloverleaf, then you will like the suspension improvements. And lets not forget those of us, that just like to tinker with our bikes for the fun of it...... :beer
+1 to everything said plus it juss looks cool with the rest of my mods :lol
Yes I to think it makes teh bike feel more planted in turns and also much less diving of the front when you brake. Plus you can find some good deals out there if you shop around a while.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You can also get a similar ride (though no external adjustability) by putting stiffer springs and cartridge emulators in the stock forks. The benefit to that mod over the R6 forks is that you know you're getting springs appropriate for your weight. With a stock set of R6 forks, it's still possible that you might need to change the spring rate to match your weight and riding style. That said, the biggest drawback to changing out the stock FZ6 fork internals is that you've still got the stock brakes.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Metric said:
I tested the fronts in an emergency situation the other day, and the chattering scared the living crud out of me, not to take into account the current situation, like saving my life. It caught me off guard, and after the rear lockup, I let it go under control, and once the front kicked in the chatter, it was hard to control. I will definately do this swap once I can afford it, other than to never get the hard quick chatter again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alternative brake mod

Hi - Just my two cents worth ! I just downgraded my 2004 R1 to an FZ6 - to save cash on insurance and finance ! Anyway, I found that the stock brakes were rubbish. I have purchased a pair of Sumitomo 4 pot front brakes from a FJR 1300R ( i think thats what they are off - will confirm ), anyway, the calliper mounting holes just need to be 100mm apart, and these Sumitono callippers are. They look like they would pull anything up.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Are those brakes mounted and functional? If not, definitely let us know how it works out when you put them on. Hopefully the rotors match up with the center of the caliper.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I (finally) got my fork swap done. I LOVE it! The bike just feels like it tracks better and is much more responsive to the road. It feels like a different bike. And the brakes kick some serious ass!

I do mostly commuting also, but I think for the modest cost this mod is definitely worth it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts