Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do they do to those bikes before they race them in GP?

any website would be kool too or a good explaintion.

·
Registered
498 Posts
d0hnj0e said:
what do they do to those bikes before they race them in GP?

any website would be kool too or a good explaintion.
GP250s are equpped with two-stroke engines. They are also built to race GP first and foremost. MotoGP is a prototype racing series so the bikes are specially built for the series. If a manufacturer offers them for sale to the public, that is secondary.

A GP250 (using the Aprilia RS250 as an example) is light, lots of carbon fibre and aluminum. The engine produces anywhere from 68hp and up. The published figure for the RS250 is 68hp. I expect the race-tuned versions to be putting out closer to 75hp or more. The actual figures are secret. Basically, a GP250 will hand any 500cc four-stroke street bike its ass.

Similar things apply to the GP125s except a lot of the GP125s tend towards single cylinder machines because of minimum weight rules. MotoGP rules specify the minimum a bike must weigh based on the number of cylinders it possesses. Singles have the lowest minimum weights.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
145 Posts
linuxbikr said:
GP250s are equpped with two-stroke engines. They are also built to race GP first and foremost. MotoGP is a prototype racing series so the bikes are specially built for the series. If a manufacturer offers them for sale to the public, that is secondary.

A GP250 (using the Aprilia RS250 as an example) is light, lots of carbon fibre and aluminum. The engine produces anywhere from 68hp and up. The published figure for the RS250 is 68hp. I expect the race-tuned versions to be putting out closer to 75hp or more. The actual figures are secret. Basically, a GP250 will hand any 500cc four-stroke street bike its ass.

Similar things apply to the GP125s except a lot of the GP125s tend towards single cylinder machines because of minimum weight rules. MotoGP rules specify the minimum a bike must weigh based on the number of cylinders it possesses. Singles have the lowest minimum weights.

Hope this helps.
The GP250 bikes are putting out close to 100rwhp..........

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
ReBorn said:
Most annoying signature evAr!

No shit, I thought there was a text size limit in signatures.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I bet the acceleration is killer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Powder said:
The GP250 bikes are putting out close to 100rwhp..........
Easily...

linuxbikr said:
Basically, a GP250 will hand any 500cc four-stroke street bike its ass.
Err...a true Grand Prix bike would smoke almost any mass-produced bike. A 500, 600, 750, or liter.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
As I get real serious into racing I am going to spend some serious dough $15k+ on a real 250GP bike, like the Aprilia RSV250 or even RSW250, or the Honda NSR250R, or something similar. I'm learning to race on an Aprilia RS250, loving it so far, love 250 2-strokes in general, a 500cc would be nice, but that's SERIOUS cash ($50k minimum for a fully prepped race bike).

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
freeride said:
Err...a true Grand Prix bike would smoke almost any mass-produced bike. A 500, 600, 750, or liter.
He is talking about GP250 bikes, not GPs like those Rossi rides.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The aprilia is a street bike, not a gp bike and puts out only around 50 hp. The Honda and Yamaha gp bikes put out around 75 hp, some as high as 80 hp if they are tuned. The factory gp bikes such as the yzr and nsr make about 100 hp and are probably much lighter.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Exactly, that's why I'm starting my racing "career" on the RS250, because it's alot more forgiving than the Hondas and Yamahas, but it's still a race-bred bike, so I should learn alot about handling other GP bikes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
250 2stroke.

I like building them. Well rebuilding them. The RS250 has the same engine as the RGV250. Both are supplied by Suzuki. (Just like Polaris snowmobiles.) The RS looks tons better, but is built a whole lot more complicated. The RS has a few "miles" extra of tubing. The NSR I think is a whole lot better machine. I prefer the MC28 series. Probably because these were the first 250's I've built. The MC21 is identicle except for the swingarm and the CC-ignition system. The MC28 looks a lot more exotic and if you have the right cc you can up the HP. If I remeber correctly you have a -10, -30, & -40. With the 40 being the race card. I forget the HP difference in the card, but there is a lot. You have to do some splicing on the wiring harness and instrument cluster to get the race card and lights to work at the same time. With my fat azz, I have had it going around 120 MPH on the highway topped out. Although I can't be sure since the race card doesn't display speed.

RS250s are great bikes, turn on a dime and are very flickable. One kept passing me in the corners when I was on Hockenheim Ring. Talk about disconcerting. After he'd caught up to me on my Gixxer, all he had to do was late brake and keep the corner speed. I'd pass on the straights, he'd get me in the corners.

T

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok,the road going euro spec aprilla's,yamha's and suzukis ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WHAT IS BEING RACED!!!!!!! They are street bikes and are not even used as a platfrom to race on in motogp.

The real deal 250cc motogp bikes are 100+ hp at the wheel and weigh 240lbs WET.Different bikes all together.....

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
I don't recall anyone saying that the street bikes were anything like the real MotoGP bikes. For the 250 class Aprilia races a RSW250, nothing like the RS250. That does NOT mean the RS250 is not a good amateur race bike. It's funny seeing the expressions on the guy's face when you blow by him while he's braking for the corner, and then put distance between you and him in the corner, only way they catch up is long straights. But again, I think everyone knows the Aprilia RS250 is nothing like what they race in MotoGP, so thanks for pointing out the obvious.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts