Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference? I've got a buddy who's thinking about getting into riding and (surprise surprise) has his heart set on a brand spankin new 600cc bike. In trying to suggest an alternative, I mentioned the SV650, but found I couldn't clearly explain why it would be better than a gixxer. I see people suggesting it as a decent beginner bike all the time, so what separates the SV from any other 600cc motorcycle? From what I've generally picked up it has something to do with the engine or power delivery, but if someone could please clarify...

·
Registered
12 Posts
The throttle is a bit less sensitive on the sv, better for a beginner to make throttle-control mistakes on. The brakes on the sv are not as strong as the gixxer's, so less of a chance of looping it in a panic reaction. The sv has about 35 less peak horsepower, but nearly the same peak torque, and more torque in the lower rpm ranges (which means less chance of stalling the bike from not maintaining higher rpms). The seating position on the sv is more upright and strains your wrists and arms less. A new sv costs a lot less that a new gixxer and has less plastic to break/replace when he drops it (and he will.) The suspension on the sv will be softer from the factory, which is probably advantageous to a beginner.

·
Registered
343 Posts
another advantage is that the SV is alot cheeper to insure... cause it's not a "sportbike"... my insurance quoted me for $102 for full coverage on a 98 ZX6R... I only pay $59 for my 04 Sv650s... if he's set on a full fairing bike... have him take a look at this... personally... I like the looks better than the gsxr600.... but then again... I'M BIASED! :twofinger

PS.. Props to you to steer him straight... :cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man those sv's look sharp with the full fairings. But don't forget to tell him how much it cost for the extra plastic! NICE BIKE THOUGH

·
Registered
343 Posts
Oh yeah my bad... the factory Suzuki lower fairings are about $380(+tax if you have it) and these are about the same... I like these better... I'll have to post a link to the site I got them off when I get home... but they were arround $350-$400 painted stock colors

good catch testertwister :cheers

·
Registered
926 Posts
what dho said....

i personally like the 1st gen (99-02) better

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Woohoo

Just thought I'd let u guys know, I sent this same buddy of mine onto this forum to do some searching/reading about a beginner bike. He's changed his mind and plans on starting on something a hell of a lot more tame than a 600. Woot! I'm glad he's seen the light. :D thanks you guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
could you possibly tell help me with mounting the same fairing that you have on that blue sv? I bought the same fairing yet no instructions for mounting and the holes are not pre-drilled. just wondering if you bought mounting brackets for yours, or fabricated them. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
could you possibly tell help me with mounting the same fairing that you have on that blue sv? I bought the same fairing yet no instructions for mounting and the holes are not pre-drilled. just wondering if you bought mounting brackets for yours, or fabricated them. any help would be greatly appreciated.
This thread is 9 years old. :facepalm
I'm betting no one that had an SV then still has it now, and therefore isn't about to answer your question, if they even remember how to do what you're asking. :(

Try svrider.com for your answer.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The SV650 is virtually free to maintain. Insurance is virtually nothing, and it is incredibly durable. Oh, and the torque band is frickin' awesome. I started on one and think it is a bit too much bike for a newbie (I was afraid of it for quite awhile), but at the same time it (thankfully) doesn't have some stupidly high top speed. Still faster than you could ever use on a curvy road, though.... if you have that thing pegged in corner, you are going way, way too fast for public roads.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts