Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since my first track day I've noticed that my desire to go ride twisty roads around here has gone way down. I find them extremely boring now not to mention that riding at high speeds on public roads isn't very smart. I've found that the only thing I use my bike for now is commuting and running around.

Anyone else find this happened to them?

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Yes I had that hit right after my 1st time too but since I cannot afford to go to the track every weekend or twice a month...you get the feeling back but not like before..at least for me anyhow...I do ride better on the street because of track days but I don't ride as crazy as I used to--I have tone down significantly on the street--and I am talking twisty roads--not trafficed roads..

I am sure you will get the feeling again..

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
yup, pretty much, have no desire to go to the local curves........all i pretty much do is commute now, and even then it's 100deg, so i've been driving alot lately.

friend of mine just informed me. he's off the street as well.

have had a few friends do that.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Yup, don't even ride on the street anymore period, don't have a street legal bike anyways. So me and my truck spend most of my time together. The bike gets about 2 track days a month. The only reason I can afford that on my military salary is because I make myself afford it. I don't do alot besides work, work on the bike, track days, and hang out with friends. I avoid eating out, bars, clubs, etc. But I have more fun doing it that way anyways.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to see I'm not the only one. What I would like to do over the next year or two is sell my r6 and buy an already tracked r6 then buy a wr450 or something and make a supermotard for the street. Since all I do is commute on my bike anyway, a supermotard would be a great thing for that I think. A supermotard would also be sweet for pulling wheelies, stoppies and backing it in around corners and just goofing off around town in general (where there isn't any traffic like at night for something to do). Then on non-track day weekends, I could pull the street tires off and have a dirtbike to rip around on. If only I had more $$$.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not right away, In fact my 1st trackday and CMP wasn't what I had expected. I thought I would have done better since I got pretty good ripping around on the local mountian roads and I hung out at Deal's Gap allot. Got on the track and fell apart! Something about an open road I couldn't deal with for part of the day.... :dunno After I did Road Atlanta, it all came together. Now I don't like riding the way I use to on the street because it's too dangerous. The track has helped my confidence allot, and I understand more about setup and tires. I just sort of putt at a good pace and I save the heart attacks for the track!! :2eek :grinbounc

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It has to a degree. I enjoy road trips every weekend I don't go to the track. I'm talking 500 mile trip in one day, that sort of thing. I will agree TD's are still more fun than a solid week of street riding.

·
Registered
461 Posts
At first it did but after some time, I realized that riding at the "pace" made street riding enjoyable again. I ride more secluded roads these days to try and capture the 'track" feeling (as impossible as that may be) but there really is nothing like the track. Also, having a v-twin has really renewed my vigor for street riding with all that torque and but at the same time I find myself wanting to bring the big bike on the track too. :alky

·
Registered
14 Posts
My first half day at the track kind of ruined the street for me. Last year I put in more miles at the track than on the street. This year only rode a handful of times and then sold the F3 trackbike and put the F4i on the track

37 track days later, I only own a trackbike.

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
I wouldnt go as far and say it ruined it but it gave me a better sense of how I should be riding on the street. Me and a bunch of guys are toneing it down on the streets lately. We luv rippin it on the track though. I couldnt live with myself if I limited myself to just the track. I get crancky if I dont do a ride for 2 weeks or so. Just have fun with whatever u decide on doing, thats all that matters in this sport "the luv and feeling of the ride".

·
Registered
251 Posts
I still riding the streets as much as before. When you ride the streets it's really more to take in the scenery, relax, enjoy the ride. When you ride on the track it's to go as fast as you possibly can without crashing. I used to have that mentality on the street, but fortunately that's changed. I see the two things as completely different activities so maybe that's why track days haven't really degraded the quality of my street rides.

·
Registered
58 Posts
To me, track riding and street riding complement each other nicely. I would feel void without either of them.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
I used to be "balls to the wall" (or boobs..lol) on the street, especially a Deals Gap, and tearing around the streets in Atlant, but after my first track day I am a big wuss on the street, I don't have all that nice big space to work with when I am on the street, and of course there are the Police to contend with (those silver braceletts they use always clash with my gear lol). I am a better rider on the street because of it, but really do not hit the streets like I used to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
a definite yes. i make the time/money to go to the track at least once a month. it's all i think about now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ruined is not the word I would chose. More like enlightened somehow.

1 track day was all it took for me. I no longer have a street bike, just a dedicated track bike. I will be purchasing another bike for the street, however, it will be for commuting and dare I say, posing? Seeing as how the bike won't be ripping up the roads, but just cruising to work now and then, going to the beach, etc.

I love riding too much to take it off the street completely. If I could afford to do 2-3 track days a month, then ya. I'd never ride the street. Sometimes, though. There is nothing like being with someone or even yourself and just riding through the sunset or sunrise, as corny as that may sound. Plus, I enjoy bikeweek, biketoberfest, etc. I'd even ride to the 2005 MOTOGP US Race!

I am a safer, better and much more alert street rider because of the track. Maybe if everyone who bought a sportbike was required to do 1 track day, just 1. . . :D :eek: :leghump :lol

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
DreddR6 said:
I am a safer, better and much more alert street rider because of the track. Maybe if everyone who bought a sportbike was required to do 1 track day, just 1. . . :D :eek: :leghump :lol
Holycrap I totally agree with you on that one, these folks out there how buy bikes and tear around on the streets don't even understand 1/2 the potential their bikes have. I am ALWAYS trying to get the guys I ride with to come to a track day (all they do is wheelies, stoppies ect). But I think they are scared :lol. Anyone can get on the road and go fast but it takes skill to maneuver around the track. (ok getting off my soap box now).

·
Registered
84 Posts
the track def changed my view on pushing it on the street
but call me squid if you want i still have the urge to open it up a bit on the freeway
just gotta show the rookies on liter bikes that my 600 is capable of making them chase

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've found out that the twisty roads around here are less appealing. I'm seriously thinking of buying a dedicated Track Bike and start racing. I need something to blow my money on!!!

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
While I am not a hater as everyone needs a place to start, I might ride on the street twice a year. I find it too dangerous and a very unpredictable enviroment. If I lived somewhere where I could feel like I dont have to watch over my shoulder I probably would.

Cops are always gunning for you, cars are trying to kill you and a nine inch curb makes things break when your bike slides into it. Not to mention the ammbulance is 20 min away.

The track is a "controlled" enviroment. You dont have to be competitive to enjoy it. It is a real learning curve every time you get there, no matter what skill level your at.

I have not "ridden" on the street for at least 6 years not counting my one or two guest appearances a year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts