Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright so ive been practicing my wheelies (sittin down) and got pretty comfortable with them but i have been wanting to do stand ups for a little while so i tried a few different techniques ive seen used first i tried stand up on the pegs first then clutch up but that didnt work i thought i was gonna fall off then i tried one foot on the pass peg and the other on the ride peg and i still didnt feel comfortable so now im starting off sittin down but as soon as the front tire gets off the ground i stand up and i finally did it im so stoked! any suggestions on shiftin i still havnt gotten that down yet the front end just falls to quick. i just wish i had some where to practice with out gettin in trouble :angry any suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated

·
Yes I'm a FIB
2,139 Posts
A good place to practice is in an industrial complex on the weekends.There is usually no traffic and no cops to speak of. There's a place by me that has a straight road about a 1/2 mile long where alot of the stunterz in the area go to practice. I've found those are the places to go without a doubt.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i wish i had an industrial complex around me lol im out in the middle of no where its pretty beat where i live but i do kno of a few places that are like a half hour away i guess im just gonna have to make the trip to practice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ah congrats on the stand up. I'm trying to learn my self. Like you im pretty comfortable with sit downs, but stand ups scare the shit out of me. Feel like im gonna fall right off. Guess I just gotta get the balls to do it.

I also tried doing the sit down to stand up but the bike comes down quick. any tips?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
learn to clutch, and learn to balance wheelies. shifting is not necessary. you can shift your 1st-3rd gear 120mph sitdown while i hold my 60mph stand up next to the car full of hot chicks. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea i just need some more practice thats all i just hope i dont get any tickets in the process

·
Registered
106 Posts
i know im gonna get a little slack 4 this.4 standups i prefer power wheelies.stand on pegs and bring ur rpms to about4-6.bounce ur pegs and roll off then on on ur throttle.once u get the throttle positin down pwr wheelies 2 me r much easier.while ur bouncing the bike and it starts 2 come up, let the bike come up 2 u.if u lean up into the tank cause ur scared of going over witch is most common era the bike kinda throws u up in the air.if u lean back as the bike comes up it comes 2 u,and there easier 2 control when u lean bak.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
F2 600 Guy said:
yea i just need some more practice thats all i just hope i dont get any tickets in the process
Practice in a closed parking lot or an industrial complex or something like that. Somewhere the pigs cant fuck with u. Then when u get good at it you can do it on the street and when they see you then you can concentrate on running. :beer

·
Adrenaline Junkie
313 Posts
Congratz bro, and good luck the rest of the way.

·
sacrilicious
752 Posts
I've scared the heck outta myself learning standups. (go figure though, i can do stoppies easier, and just did my first Endo the other day. Proctologists scare me less than that!!)

Let's see where I can help. The real good stunters I know payed the price. Their bikes are thrashed. But, they are sitting and stand up when the bike comes up, like an all in one motion. (clutch, throttle, dump & stand, ride for 3 freaking miles)

as far as the front coming down too quick, do a little more work with sitdowns then. Find the balance point, right when the bike get's real light. Find that, and you won't need to worry about shifting. You can clutch up a bike in 3rd gear, you don't need to shift. PLUS, shifting in a wheelie is VERY stressful on the chain, tranny and sprockets. You want to avoid that if possible, because shifting when you are up on one, using the clutch is out of the question. the shift has to be VERY fast. I wouldn't worry about it. Just concentrate on finding the balance point for those nice 5 mile wheelies @ 60mph next to the hotties, and work on the standups. Everything will fall into place. It takes lots and lots of practice for those wheelies. OH, and I just got my first wheelie ticket. I'll post up here how it goes, ok? (PS, I also got a no licence, no insurance, no eye protection violations). But yeah.

And if you can't find an industrial spur lot, find a shopping center and hide off in the corner and go crazy, but disable your headlight. it'll be harder for the cop to see you. And in a small town (i live in one too) NEVER run. They'll just remember the color of your bike and jacket and get you later. If you do run, sell the bike. I'm serious. It happened to me.

Any other questions?

OH! And if you have the resources, get a friend or a tripod and videotape the event. You can watch yourself and critique your progress. (plus, if you wreck, it's good to have someone to call the damned ambulance.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts