Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
segue00 said:
Did everyone survive and had fun over the weekend? I hope.:)
I survived the weekend but it was a real let-down after last week. Saturday and Sunday, I drove home from North Carolina and spent about 20 hours in the car.

I spent the week down there and it was amazing. Stayed a couple miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway and managed to ride my bike a lot. The heat and humudity sucked but the roads were fantastic. :dblthumb Even your highways are better to ride than the best twisties around here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Rode on Saturday, stayed away from the holiday destinations. Traffic was light, cops were not out, weather was great, and the wildflowers on the mountain are peaking. Svveet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
Still kickin.

Took a short ride yesterday, and a beer run on Saturday.

I try to limit my riding on party weekends just because of 'the other guy'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
segue00 said:
Did everyone survive and had fun over the weekend? I hope.:)
Survived: Barely
Had fun: YES.

I had a blast riding around this weekend. Weather was cool in the evenings, birds were singing, pretty women were waving... Overall it was great.

Except for the barely survived part.

Details:

I was called into work on Monday to fix some broken computers. Yes, I am an IT Manager and yes I ride a FZ6. I get the funniest looks from people who find out I ride a bike. Anyway, I digress.
I'm riding to work, which is 55 miles away, and the roads are empty. I see in my rearview mirror two cars coming up behind me. I am in the right lane, they are in the left. Let me say that I watch cages like they are out to get me, and it was a good thing I did. The first one blows past me like I'm standing still. He gets ahead of me and changes lanes into the lane I'm in. The second cage is about 15 yards behind him. She pulls up right next to me so her right-front tire is about even with my front tire. She then yanks a hard right into my lane. Crazy woman is following the first car without even looking around. So I see this massive suv tire about to have me for lunch. I break hard with both breaks, lean over to the right to pull myself to the right side of my lane and lay on the horn. She missed me by inches. I'm watching her as this is all unfolding and I see her looking perplexed all over the place wondering who could be honking at her. She finally notices me after she's gone down the road another 50 yards or so. By then I've slowed way down to try and restart my heart and find my stomach which is hiding somewhere near my left ankle.

She did have the politeness to wave after nearly killing me. Such nice manners. I watched her stick to the first car's butt all the way out of site.

In the 16 years I've been riding I've never had an idiot who came up from behind me where there was NO OTHER TRAFFIC try to run over me.

That's why I treat every idiot in 4+ wheels like they are out to kill me.

BTW, I did get those computers fixed. Got home in time to cook up some food on the grille for the family.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,335 Posts
Stilletto said:
BTW, I did get those computers fixed. Got home in time to cook up some food on the grille for the family.
And have a BIG beer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,206 Posts
I'm still around. All I did was sit infront of a campfire drinking my beers through a funnel all weekend, not too dangerous.
 

·
On The Job
Joined
·
1,739 Posts
Only riding I got in was to and from work. Worked doubleshifts all weekend and 8 hours on Monday. At least I'll have a huge paycheck. I think it will be time to look into some more goodies for the bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ejworthen said:
Only riding I got in was to and from work. Worked doubleshifts all weekend and 8 hours on Monday. At least I'll have a huge paycheck. I think it will be time to look into some more goodies for the bike.
You worked through the weekend? Dang, I'll have a drink for you tonight, too! :lao
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Survived to get my 600 mile service done this afternoon - $162, ouch. I stayed and waited on the bike and I can say the guy had it in his area/stall for 2 hours. How much of that was spent working, I have no idea :)

When I got home just now, I noticed oil drip lines on my swingarm. No idea what they did to cause that - lubed the chain with junk maybe? I did it at 300 miles with the Maxima chain wax you guys recommended and had no problems at all.

I understand the sentiments expressed above. I try to be a decent person and if I'm going to speed on the highway, it's usually around 5 mph over. I drive a bike; that doesn't mean I have to drive like a fool. Anyway, on the way home on the expressway there were cars whizzing past me, and I mean nearly all of them. I'm being decent and driving home 70 in a 65 and these fools are doing 80 - 85. Damn cages, you can't trust any of them.

Gotta go clean now! Glad everyone is ok!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,864 Posts
Is was a great weekend. First time I had a chance to put some decent miles on the back since I moved back to Florida. My girl and I rode down to Islamorada on Sunday to spend some time at Holiday Isle, and then on Monday we rode up to South Beach to spend some time in the sun (which I am now paying for) and water. It was a great sunny weekend, and going back to work this morning was a little tough.
 

·
On The Job
Joined
·
1,739 Posts
segue00 said:
You worked through the weekend? Dang, I'll have a drink for you tonight, too! :lao
Thanks for the sympathy. Don't feel too bad for me though. I was getting double and triple time all weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Its was pretty fun and yes I did survive to post in this thread.:lol I found out that you have to throw those Chinese fireworks pretty quick after you light them.:lao And no thats not me in the picture.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
I know what you mean about having to watch out for the cages. I put on a shade under 300 miles riding out to the inlaws lake cabin. Riding back on Monday night was kinda interesting had a few people that didn't seem to worried about driving. The busiest few miles through town I actually ended up by a state patrol which was kinda nice everyone was giving him lots of room which I made use of. Got 2700miles on the OD at the end of the weekend and can't say it enough I love this bike.
 

·
Sigh.......
Joined
·
291 Posts
My wife and kids went to her parents beach cabin on Friday morning. Me being an "offshifter", and having to work friday night, i had to fend for myself and get to the coast in the fastest method i could come up with the next day. You know.....get home late, get up late. It dosent really give me much beach time with the family. And all that bad press about Oregon roads to the coast being the worst traffic in the Nation, was really pressing my navigational skills. So i resourced some ideas from some of my cycling buddies who go out of their way to avoid traffic and tryied some of their routes.Viola, i have found a new way to the coast for me. Lots of twisties and short straights in the puckerbrush of Oregon. A little bit longer from the heavily traveled norm, but a whole lot more fun. I only saw motorcyclist and bicyclist on the way and the weather was great. All in all.....it was a great weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sharkbait66 said:
My wife and kids went to her parents beach cabin on Friday morning. Me being an "offshifter", and having to work friday night, i had to fend for myself and get to the coast in the fastest method i could come up with the next day. You know.....get home late, get up late. It dosent really give me much beach time with the family. And all that bad press about Oregon roads to the coast being the worst traffic in the Nation, was really pressing my navigational skills. So i resourced some ideas from some of my cycling buddies who go out of their way to avoid traffic and tryied some of their routes.Viola, i have found a new way to the coast for me. Lots of twisties and short straights in the puckerbrush of Oregon. A little bit longer from the heavily traveled norm, but a whole lot more fun. I only saw motorcyclist and bicyclist on the way and the weather was great. All in all.....it was a great weekend.
That's priceless! A route to the beach without cages. Hot dang!!!:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Yah, share anytime. I have a few route that cages don't like, but maybe yours is better.
 

·
Sigh.......
Joined
·
291 Posts
Im sure you have taken it Karst, hwy 202. I must have driven past Vernonia exit a hundred times, not realizing what a kick in the britches that HWY realy is.
 

·
Sigh.......
Joined
·
291 Posts
The only down side for me is the ride thru Beaverton. I dont know the roads on the westside all that well
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top