Sport Bikes banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like to ride both styles and driving like a maniac down roads you've never done a trip on isn't wise - I don't consider myself a squid by any means, but neither am I out to introduce my face to the pavement because I am the slowest member of the group.
Same here! i dont enjoy riding wit squids (150mph-higher) especially in unfamiliar territory. When i ride with people like that i chunk them the duce meet them @ the spot when i finally get there.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I live in Grapevine, just north/west of that massive mess @ DFW Northgate construction, right by G'vine lake.
I'm about 10 miles away. Matter of fact I've ridden out to the lake twice this week just to putt around. Anytime you want to ride let me know.

Do they leave the less aggressive riders behind or is there a leader who rides the rear to keep the group together?
I'm on that forum but haven't ridden with them yet. Some people talk shit on riding clubs as opposed to groups like dfwsportbikes but I prefer clubs (good clubs, not Biker Boyzzz with helmet mohawks) because the rides tend to be more organized. You always have a ride leader, a vested member in the back for stragglers, ect. And clubs plan more rides in general, usually every single weekend and the members are a tighter knit group. But I may go on that ride and see how cool it is. If they don't keep anyone in the back I'll hang with you if you go.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Do they leave the less aggressive riders behind or is there a leader who rides the rear to keep the group together?
On this route there are long stretches of straight roads between twisty sections, so the group leader will always slow down (below the speed limit) to let riders that might have fallen behind catch up. On the straight sections the speed won't be any higher than 85/90 (speed limit 70) once everyone is back together.

There are only a handful of stopsigns and turns, but the group leader will always come to a full stop and regroup before making a turn or leaving a stop sign.

We've had rides where some bikers were 2-up, and we've waited for almost a minute for them to catch up after a long twisty section, and that was perfectly fine.

Sometimes there will be a sweeper, but not always, it depends on who comes for the ride. The leader will always be someone who has ridden the route and has experience with group rides. The group tends to organize itself by skill level (people just sorta do it on their own), so if you are at the back the guy in front of you will have a similar pace to yours.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Most likely you will need a chain tool. Most chains come longer than needed. Usually the hard part about doing a chain/sprocket swap is breaking the counter sprocket nut loose.

Since yours is stock with 30,000 miles in it, I would speculate that it will be a bitch to break it loose. You will probably need a cheater bar or an impact gun to get it off. What I do is put the bike in neutral and wedge a 2x4 in the "spokes" of the rear wheel when breaking the counter sprocket nut loose. I just don't feel comfortable using the tranny.

One other thing of note is the nut itself. Most of them are coated with some kind of locktight from the factory. That means that they are mention for one time use only. I always replace the nut when swapping the front sprocket. Your local dealership should have them in stock for a fe bucks.
Cool thanks for the timp dude. I'll probably be knocking out the chain & sprox install after new years. Wife and kids been on me about getting them the new 250GB XBox and Kenetic system. I know I know that could have gotten me a really nice setup, but I've got to keep them happy while I'm out riding.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Yeah, I mapped the route and it's 56 miles one way just to get to the meeting spot. I'm all for long rides but not 120 miles just to the start point and back. I was bored and started up a little group. It will be based in Arlington/HEB. I planned a short ride for next Saturday and if one person shows I'll be happy haha. It's pretty rough right now, not even a logo but join up tell me what you think. Yall pass the word on to anyone around here since I don't know anyone.

Twisters817 : Twisters 817

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm about 10 miles away. Matter of fact I've ridden out to the lake twice this week just to putt around. Anytime you want to ride let me know.

I'm on that forum but haven't ridden with them yet. Some people talk shit on riding clubs as opposed to groups like dfwsportbikes but I prefer clubs (good clubs, not Biker Boyzzz with helmet mohawks) because the rides tend to be more organized. You always have a ride leader, a vested member in the back for stragglers, ect. And clubs plan more rides in general, usually every single weekend and the members are a tighter knit group. But I may go on that ride and see how cool it is. If they don't keep anyone in the back I'll hang with you if you go.
Sorry, bike's been outta commission lately. I attempted to do a sprocket swap on both my front and rear only to discover that I couldn't get my front sprocket off! I had a 3-4 ft breaker bar that wouldn't work, so we hauled it over to my buddy's house (I'd already cut my chain off at this point), we couldn't even undo it with his air gun on a compressor! Finally ended up taking it to G'vine Kawasaki (they *loooooove* me, I've donated a boatload of money to them lately, just had my 25k service not too long ago) - they had to heat up the bolt with a torch to get it loose!!

I'm still gettin' used to the different throttle response, she's got more low-end, so it's like a whole new bike now :p I'm def game for riding, I'll shoot you a PM and we'll try to meet up.

@Hispeed48:
they sound like a pretty reasonable/responsible group, I'm certainly up for taking a trip. Have they got anything planned coming up (I know with winter and all, makes things interesting :p)

·
Registered
2 Posts
DFW roll call. I'm in Justin and usually ride in the Muenster/St Jo area. It's mid December and obviously cold, But I still manage to ride 3-4 times a week.

·
Registered
153 Posts
hey guys i'm in that area all the time too!!!! i don't know what you're talkin about venus tho me and my roommate are always down to ride...

have ya'll been goin to whiskey's sunday out by lonestar park ever? me and about 4-5 guys usually go out there but the past two weeks haven't seen much of anyone..

we should get a big cruz going sometime soon like rockwall to ftw or viseversa what ya'll think
I'm good with that... Don't how yall would feel bout a ride out to Canton/Tyler. Couple of nice spots out that way.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, I mapped the route and it's 56 miles one way just to get to the meeting spot. I'm all for long rides but not 120 miles just to the start point and back. I was bored and started up a little group. It will be based in Arlington/HEB. I planned a short ride for next Saturday and if one person shows I'll be happy haha. It's pretty rough right now, not even a logo but join up tell me what you think. Yall pass the word on to anyone around here since I don't know anyone.

Twisters817 : Twisters 817
Are guys planning on anything soon, let me know.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Any suggestions, a few destinations come to mind. Venus, Cleburne, Benbrook, Possum Kingdom Lake and Lake Texoma.
you're lucky you live on the southern half of the DFW. i rode some really nice roads down near Granbury. much better than the roads up near Denton that I frequently ride.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts