Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all so im about to get my bike in 4 days in counting :D and i have been counting my cash and all and i dont know if i should go for the full coverage or just the liability. im going to own a 2003 ninja 500r so i wasnt sure if i needed that full coverage but its such a hard question. things arise like what if my bike is stolen or if it spontaniously combusts out of no where?!?!? still dont know what they mean by 15,000 30,000 and 5,000 for liability, anyone wish to expand on what this means to me? what do they mean by per person 30,000 for the accident and 5,000 need it to be proken down in examples for me to understand haha. because once i figure out what coverage i would want i could then find out how much for equipment i could spend. i have either $997 or 1361 :) for equipment. trying to find the high quality stuff to protect my a$$ in case of anything to happen. i figured i would go for a
shoei tz-1, z-11 (which is better, heard the z-11 has more comfort)
the a stars gp gloves (maybe)
SIDI vertebra 2 (need ventalation, no one likes sweaty feet)
and i want a vanson jacket, found a pritty good one for $515 but i dont know if thats too much jacket for my bike. all i do know is that i want leather

thanks all hope you can help me on all my questions

·
Registered
498 Posts
Your insurance broker can explain what the different coverages mean. They will if you ask. Mine did. I recommend theft coverage. As to liability vs. full coverage, you have to decide if the extra coverage is worth it. Full coverage will cover things that you do to yourself (like dump the bike in a low-speed turn) or run into someone else. Liability covers damage you inflict on others, not damage you inflict on yourself.

The three numbers (if I am not mistaken, I'm not an insurance agent) refer to the single maximum damage amount per person (injury costs for one person), the total damage amount payable for everyone involved (total costs for everyone in the car) and the property damage amount covered (how much damage you do to the car). 15/30/5 is very minimal coverage and the odds are real good it won't cover you fully in anything except a minor wreck. By comparison, I carry 500/500/150, full coverage with theft and medical. Carry as much coverage as you can afford. I carry full coverage on everything, just in case. That is the whole point of insurance.

As to gear, it looks fine. Good choices except what about pants? Also keep in mind many Vanson jackets don't ship with armor. That's extra. Great gear but you need impact protection as well as abrasion resistance.

·
Registered
501 Posts
for your first year i would get the full coverage, then you will know the next year whether or not you want the full coverage or take a chance of something happening that won't be covered.

a helmet that fits your head very well, that is the helmet to get

you probably don't need to spend that much on a jacket at first. i would buy something cheaper than that when you start riding. then once you get accustomed to your bike you will know more of what you want in a jacket.

the above goes for gloves.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I am going to say the opposite of what Life said.

Buy the good gear now while you have the cash, not cheap gear now then expesive one later. Just my opinion though......

·
Registered
398 Posts
Insurance is a funny thing. Look at all your options. The option I took through my agent was "full coverage with no medical". This saved me about $650 a year. I did this because I have very good medical through my company at work. Where they get you is coverage to yourself. My agent said most bike accidents are single vehicle, (ex: running off the road). It doesn't cost very much to replace a bike, but hospital bills can add up quick. Just ask about a modified plan that might work for you and save a little cash. :leghump

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've heard good things about Icon gear... it's realitively cheep and holds up well.. stay away from Joe Rocket... every thing I've heard has been bad... I like the arai better but that's only because the fit is better for me and my odd shaped head :lol but good luck with what ever you choose...

As far as insurance...
Carry as much coverage as you can afford. I carry full coverage on everything, just in case. That is the whole point of insurance.
+1:dblthumb

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ca$h said:
I am going to say the opposite of what Life said.

Buy the good gear now while you have the cash, not cheap gear now then expesive one later. Just my opinion though......
how do you know what to spend your money on if you don't know what you are looking for from first hand experience, not recommendations from other people, flashy magazine articles, or because you saw some poser at bike night wearing it and it looked "cool"?

after you start riding a bit you start to stop thinking so much about how to ride the bike, that stuff becomes second nature and kinda automatic. then things like comfort and how you want to be on the bike come into play. that's when you start doing modifications to your bike and really start learning how to evaluate how the gear you buy is going to affect your ride.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Ok maybe I put it the wrong way.....let me try again.

I think he should search around(this site, not a site trying to "hype" gear) and find good gear. He should then go to a motorcycle store around where he lives and try on the gear(if they have it) that he looked up. He can then order it from the internet because he is sure to get a better deal and he will also his size because he has tried it on. I think he should use the money he has left after buying the bike and buy good, quality gear, not cheap stuff to see what he is comfortable in, that would cost him more money in the long run.

^ All of that is just my opinion, take it how you want to.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i didnt' say buy cheap gear, cause that implies low quality. I don't mean that. i meant good quality gear at a low price, not spend $515 for a jacket right off the bat without knowing what you are really looking for. definitly try it on at a store before you buy, but still, trying it on at a store and riding with it are two different things.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you are going to finance the bike, then you will be required to get full coverage. The loan companies require it to protect their investment in case you total it, or it is stolen and then don't pay up on the loan and they have no collateral.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just cameback from my local motorcycle delershipand was checkingout stuff i found out that no shoei makes extra padding for any of their hemets??? is taht true if so would there be any other way to put extra cheek pads in there because it is kinda loose in those areas. also all i mostly want is gear that all have ventalation? anyone know any good reliable ones, for the boots jacket and gloves. also i was looking at this mesh jacket by a stars i think thought it was kinda good had hard armor on the sholders and arms and some soft in other places. dunno if this is good because i wanted leather before because sounded like more safer if i do fall.
also since i have only a bike that is $3000 would i need full covererage because how i think about it is, how much damage could i do on this bike that is why i think that liabliity is good enough with the 15,30,5

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Itchy said:
just cameback from my local motorcycle delershipand was checkingout stuff i found out that no shoei makes extra padding for any of their hemets??? is taht true if so would there be any other way to put extra cheek pads in there because it is kinda loose in those areas. also all i mostly want is gear that all have ventalation? anyone know any good reliable ones, for the boots jacket and gloves. also i was looking at this mesh jacket by a stars i think thought it was kinda good had hard armor on the sholders and arms and some soft in other places. dunno if this is good because i wanted leather before because sounded like more safer if i do fall.
also since i have only a bike that is $3000 would i need full covererage because how i think about it is, how much damage could i do on this bike that is why i think that liabliity is good enough with the 15,30,5
Talk to your insurance agent, but increased liability isn't likely to be a lot more $$. If you hurt someone else, minimum coverage won't go very far. If you NEVER ride a passenger and have good medical insurance from somewhere else, you might be able to skip medical on the bike (if you can even get it). Theft and collision (damage to the bike that you casue) will probably have a high cost. You decide if you would replace or throw away that $3000 bike if you wreck it or miss it if it were stolen. :a2

If you finance it, the payments will continue even if the bike is wrecked or stolen.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so if i was at fault then what i did to the bike would come outta my pocket ahhh!!! too much money

1 - 13 of 13 Posts