Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a thick layer of grease (built up chain lube, brake dust, and dirt, I guess) on my chain. I worked at it a bit with a steel bristle brush. The chain isn't rusty or anything under the muck. Is there a degreaser product or a method I can use while the chain is on the bike?

·
Registered
183 Posts
WD40

Scott

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
+1 WD40 is your friend! Unless you get it on your tires :lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
wd is the only way to go spray some on a old rag (dont spray it directly onto the chain) and wipe off the chain you will need a brush the first time you clean it likely but from there a rag with a spray of wd40 will keep it clean.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
WD 40 is the way to go and if you do get it on your tire,clean the wheel and tire with 409.

And never ever use a degreaser on you chain.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i'll bet that steel brush messed up your orings.

i'd take a VERY VERY VERY close look at them and inspect for damage. If they are knicked, or cut in any way, i'd replace the chain.

and you should be using kerosene to clean the chain and a good chain lube to lube it back up once the kerosene dries. most guys I know use either amsoil metal protector wax or bel-ray super clean chain lube.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just used the brush on the sides of the chain, to see if it would work. I really should get a new chain anyway. This one's 6 years old. In the meantime, I'll get on it with the WD40. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Give GoJo a try. I haven't yet but I recently heard that it is basically kerosene and lanolin. Using it will not only clean your chain, but it'll soften your hands while you work!

:lol

I am going to give it a try for my next chain cleaning.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
mgranzow said:
i'll bet that steel brush messed up your orings.

i'd take a VERY VERY VERY close look at them and inspect for damage. If they are knicked, or cut in any way, i'd replace the chain.

and you should be using kerosene to clean the chain and a good chain lube to lube it back up once the kerosene dries. most guys I know use either amsoil metal protector wax or bel-ray super clean chain lube.
Agreed. Even if you only used it on the sides, you could still have had the brush go over the top and not realize it. Check your O-rings. And yeah, kerosene or WD-40 to clean it, using a rag.

Also, never try to clean the chain while the bike is running! :eek: And always clean a section of chain that goes away fromt he sprocket while turning the tire. It's way too easy to get your fingers caught in the sprocket.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Damn, I had visions of someone loosing a finger!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, never try to clean the chain while the bike is running!
HAHA, I've done some stupid things *cough* ex-wife *cough* but I'm not gonna degrease it while running. The O-rings seem to be fine. That brush was steel-bristle toothbrush type, used for gun cleaning, nothing powered. Thanks for all the tips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts