Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know but I have been riding sportbikes for over 20 years, & it just seems like these days if your not wearing full leathers from head to toe your a squid.

That's not the way I see it. To me a squid is some young, no nothing kid wearing sandals with no helmet. I have been down on the street & the track, so I can speak from experience. I always wear my helmet boots and gloves & jeans, but when it is warm (which is really the only times I ride) I like to wear a short sleeve shirt. To me nothing feels better then the feeling of having bare arms while riding. I look at some people when it is 90 + in their full leathers and think that I wouldn't even bother, it would just be to hot and uncomfortable.
That is just me, and that is the choice I make to enjoy my experience more. I also don't have a problem with others who choose not to wear a helmet, because that is their right, that is what being free is about. I don't agree with not wearing a helmet, but that is what free will is about.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I agree that it is everybody's choice to wear whatever gear they so choose.

However, it's also everybody's right to call someone a squid if they would like, using whatever definition of the word they like. It's their right and what being free is about.

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that it is everybody's choice to wear whatever gear they so choose.

However, it's also everybody's right to call someone a squid if they would like, using whatever definition of the word they like. It's their right and what being free is about.
Yea I hear ya, but I'm just saying that I think just because you don't wear full leathers around everywhere you go, doesn't make you a squid, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Yea I hear ya, but I'm just saying that I think just because you don't wear full leathers around everywhere you go, doesn't make you a squid, but that's just my opinion.
I don't necessarily believe that to be true either. I think being a squid has as much to do with how you ride as to what gear you wear.

Personally though, I'm a gear geek. I gear up from head to toe even if I'm just going down the street to get gas. As the saying goes, dress for the crash, not the ride. But, I realize not everybody feels the same, and that's fine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I prefer to think of a squid as I would think of a ricer. Little to no knowledge, expensive, worthless mods, and driving like a jack ass. Also little to no regard for anyone else on the road.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I always figure that avoiding the attention of cops, keeping my driver's license, and not increasing my insurance rates are top priorities on the road. This requires picking the right places away from urban areas and using some common sense. Full leathers are just too f**king hot during the long summer IMO.

-As for the self-righteous 'chicken strip' thing, anyone who is flogging his bike to the limit of the tires on public roads will eventually do an expensive slide on some fine sand or greasy spots no matter how good you think the tires are. Keep in mind there are often no flat run-out areas to slide along but lots of rocks, trees, poles etc. It is not about proving your manhood but being smart about how unpredictable public roads can be.

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Chicken Strip thing doesn't make sense to me either, because what about hwy commuters & people who just take it easy.

·
pick your poison
2,972 Posts
The Chicken Strip thing doesn't make sense to me either, because what about hwy commuters & people who just take it easy.
:agree

Me either. Guessing some judge tire wear as ones abilty to ride a motorcycle, why I don't know?

I have em... BFD

Attachments

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I blame Keith Code and his stupid fucking video for everyone being so obsessed with chicken strips. Okay, well the video is good (albeit cheesy), but they should have left out the part about chicken strips. Now every kid who has access to a bike and the internet thinks they need to lose their chicken strips. Absurd.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I would never live somewhere I would feel I want to buy a snow mobile.
with that said, my riding suit isn't that hot to wear.
everything I own is perforated.

if you don't want to wear anything I support your right not to. but I still think you're a fool.
I often (I shouldn't) immediately assume a guy on a sportbike with just a tshirt on is a squid. squid to me is someone who owns a bike to be cool. and they're not really into the culture of riding just posing

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I like this thread. I thought I was an embarassment to sport bike riders because the little rubber nipples are still on the edge of my tires after 4k miles. (Like from where the rubber was injected) I mean... I go way faster than necessary at times and I just dont see how I could rid the chicken strips without being a danger to myself and others on the road. Im glad to know other people find the idea kind of stupid.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I have a dedicated track bike. I like my life and I have some nice wide strips on my bike. I have to say that wearing a t-shirt is a total frigging no-no for me. I won't go riding with anyone who doesn't wear full gear. It is the USA and I totally respect your decision to ride the way you want to ride. Also, I don't really judge you for it. I can tell you though, that of my friends, most of whom are track riders with 20+ years experience, the most physically damaging offs were on short "rides around the block."

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
If I see someone wearing a T-shirt I immediately think squid. I guarantee they will only go down once and that will be the last time they ever either A) ride a motorcycle or B) wear just a T-shirt again.

If they don't have health insurance and are dong that kinda shit they shouldn't even be admitted into the hospital for treatment IMO.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
squid is what pops in my head when I think of Florida. elbows locked, wrists at 90 degrees and neck tilted all the way back. No helmet is the biggest clue. Got a bike to be seen on, not really interested in riding.

I think anybody who has been riding for more than a short while stops looking at tires. You realize pretty quick there's all types of uses such as commuting for a bike and doesn't really mean someone can't corner. Just that they haven't been out carving lately.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Squid is what I think when I see a t shirt wearing guy in a chrome Harley half helmet go by my house at 30mph on a Busa with both feet down hovering an inch above the pavement.

They aren't outr******, dude. They are potentially broken ankles.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts