Sport Bikes banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am doing some research on my first track oriented gear. I plan to do one or two track days a year; time permitting.. but I wanted gear I can use on the street as well.

I am looking at Tour Master Magnum jackets and Apex Pref. leather pants. They zip together and the pants come with velcro for sliders. But these just come in black; I thought a "gunmetal" type color would be nicer to wear during a sunny day.

Tour Master Apex Air Perfoated Leather Motorcycle Sport Pants :: New Enough, LTD

Tour Master Magnum Leather Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

My other option is the Teknic Chicane 1 piece suit. I would really like to have two piece gear though, because I would like some street-oriented gear that is leather..

AGV and Fieldsheer 2 piece suits are also on my mind. However, I heard these suits don't come with hip armor and I might need to account that into my budget.

FieldSheer Radar 2 Piece Race Suit :: MSRP: $529.99 :: Our Price: $476.99! In stock NOW!

I thought the tour master gear might work out nicely since I hear that 2 piece suits generally have jackets that are too short to use separately.

That is what my price range is: 400-500 dollars.
It might actually be cheaper for me to buy the chicane suit and buy a separate leather jacket if that is safer.

I would like some opinion on the safety issues. I know probably nothing will replace spending a lot of money on gear, but out of these options what do you think? Remember, safety is my priority concern.
Pictures would be nice too, especially with full gear on. Are track suits substantially safer than street gear that zips togehter, like the Tour Master gear I've mentioned? They all have the same leather and padding right? Do the track-oriented suits fit better, despite the fact that the street gear are very adjustable?

If it makes a difference, I have a very average type body. Moderate waist, athletic build with a thin waist and broader across the chest.. thick legs.

Next on the list are track boots.

Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, its late at night and my writing is teh suck

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I think you've nailed most of the actual issues; now you just need to make a decision on what's best for you. I started with a one-piece track suit, and have now largely replaced it with a two-piece. Similar reasons to yours - wearing a one-piece is ok at the track, but a royal PITB on the street unless you're a real attention whore. Getting into, out of, and partially out of (having lunch and hitting the head) is dramatically easier with a two-piece.

Most two-piece track suit jackets *are* short, absolutely correct. But some manufacturers have "street" jackets that use the same zip system as their track suits. I have a Spidi NRG jacket that was designed as a single street jacket, so it's longer - but zips into the Spidi track pant. This is great for me as I have a long torso anyway.

The safety issue boils down to: what are the odds that you are going to be involved in an accident with sufficient force and direction to tear apart the zips? There aren't good stats on that, you'll have to make your own risk assessment. You do need to be sure it's a "full circumference (really about 3/4)" zipper, not just a 10-12" tab in the back. Those aren't very helpful and are accepted by a much lower percentage of tracks/organizers.

For as big a ratio of street to track use as you project, personally I'd go with a two-piece set; but that's just my choice.

KeS

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+1 on the 2 piece with full waist zipper. If nothing else, being able to take the jacket off when on a break from riding is great. I never wear the jacket without the pants, however.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers.
I've recently discovered I can buy the Teknic Chicane jacket and the chicane jacket pants that have a full circumference waist zipper. Now I understand these may not fit as well as the 1 piece suit, but I think if I get the correct size I can have it fit pretty well.
What worries me more is that the pants are goatskin and not cowhide. Is goatskin less abrasive resistant than cowskin? I'm starting to think maybe I should just wear my karting suit! (joke)

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Unless you are racing, I think 2pc are more versatile. I know people who own 1pc suits that will not wear them on the street. I wear my 2pc all the time (MotoGP Corkscrew jacket and Apex pant)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I am going to get a 2 piece suit. When I can afford more serious track sessions, more serious bike and perhaps racing, I'll get a more pricey 1 piece suit.

I'm still worried about the goatskin.. it can't be as good as cowhide, but I wonder if it will be okay as long as the seams hold.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you have the cash, get a 1-piece for the track, and (leather) jacket/pants for the street.

Otherwise I guess you'd have to get a 2-piece suit. 1-pieces ARE a PITA for everyday riding.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input!

Any word on how good is goatskin?

So full circumfrence zip-on gear marketed as street gear is almost as good as 2 piece suits marketed as track? I noticed generally they all have same grain and thickness of leather.. stitching? fitment?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Answering my own Q:

Crash Padding - Motorcycle Boots, Jackets & Gloves

According to this article, goatskin is tougher and more flexible than Cowhide. I was under the impression that Cowhide is the toughest, except for Horseskin.

Now if I can figure out what type grain of goatskin Teknic uses..

·
old member
13,079 Posts
A full-circumference zipper is a full-circumference zipper. Goat skin is more abrasion resistant than cow hide at the same thickness, but is usually thinner in order to be more pliable. Seam construction is the most important factor in crash worthiness.

·
Wildcat Fanatic
1,519 Posts
Thanks for the answers.
I've recently discovered I can buy the Teknic Chicane jacket and the chicane jacket pants that have a full circumference waist zipper.
I recently went this route myself. I picked up a brand new Teknic Lightning jacket on Ebay for $99 and got a pair of the Teknic Chicane leather pants from Motorcycle Closeouts for $139. I added a pair of Teknic Lightning gloves from Ebay for $20, and my 2-piece suit is now complete.

As far as fit goes, I'm a pretty big guy (6', 230 lbs) and I went with a 52 in the jacket. It couldn't have fit better if it were tailor-made for me. I got a 42 (US) in the pants and again, couldn't have fit better. I really got this combo because I wanted a leather set that was completely non-perforated for cooler weather use. For hot weather, I've already got a 2-piece suit consisting of the perforated JR Blaster 2.0 pants and JR Sonic 2.0 perforated jacket.

The Teknic stuff's leather is a (tiny) bit more stiff and IMO, requires a little longer to break in than the JR leather, but it's also non-perforated, so that adds to the stiffness. That being said, the Teknic jacket and pants are extremely comfortable and a great value if you can find it at a closeout price.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
You make a good point that one of the best reasons for getting a two-piece is that you can get a better fit if you're not built like the factory model, since you can size the top and bottom separately.

KeS

·
Registered
412 Posts
Really depends on what you are planning to do in it.

You said a couple of track days a year; I'm guessing you won't be pushing it too hard if you only attend 2 track days a year.

Instead, you want more protection while riding on the streets, which is where you will spend most of your time riding the bike. But with riding on the streets comes the need for practicality.

I say 2-piece suit will be fine for you. When you get more dedicated to track riding and start pushing more, then get a 1-pc.

For what it's worth, I have a few suits sitting in the closet... whether I'm riding the streets or the track, I find myself reaching for the 1-pc. It's just more comfortable.

Now if I'm going on a twisty run with a group of riders, with a lunch break in the middle, then I would reach for the 2-pc because I would be walking around and stuff. It's really difficult and impractical to perform normal functions wearing a 1-pc.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
When its hot and you come in between sessions at the track, you can take off your jacket and really cool down. When street riding and you stop to get lunch, again take your jacket off so you're not a clumsy space man bumping around into things in the dining booth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts