Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Definitely too high. It is middle of the summer tho so most people will be asking too much. If you could get the ninja 650 for 3k itd be a way better deal, lower miles and a brand new tank

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
might have to check that ninja out. I just like the more power the fz6 has. Also do yall think of teenage newbie rider when you see a ninja 650r go down the street?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
No, but regardless if you're getting a sport bike for the image you're doing it for the wrong reason. When I see anyone riding a sport bike in a tshirt and shorts I think of a teenage newbie rider that will ride like a pussy until he inevitably goes down, gets seriously injured, and stops riding because its "too dangerous". Most people won't be able to tell the difference between a ninja 250 and a gsxr 1000

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
no thats not the reason im getting one. just back when i was younger (not to long ago) everyone my age had a "ninja".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so if i dont want to spend more then $6000 how far would be to far to travel to get one? id love to find one right close to me but i have no problem driving.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Can I ask how old you are and how many miles you've put on other peoples bikes? If you're under 25 insurance will be a b***** factor. If you ridden a friends bike once or twice for an hour or two, you're still a new rider. And I definitely wouldn't spend $6000 on a first bike you have a good chance or dropping. Your best bet is to buy something for $3000 or less, ride it for a season (or two if you only put a few thousand miles on it in a year) then sell it for what you paid. That way if you wreck it you don't take much of a loss. Plus, you don't want to spend that much money on a bike you might not like. As big as you are, a super sport is going to be uncomfortable as hell.

How far you're willing to travel is up to you. Do you have a way to trailer it back? What if you drive 4 hours and only then does the seller mention the fork leaks, the battery is dead, etc. Remember to add gas cost, it'll turn a great deal to an average one pretty quick

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Can I ask how old you are and how many miles you've put on other peoples bikes? If you're under 25 insurance will be a b***** factor. If you ridden a friends bike once or twice for an hour or two, you're still a new rider. And I definitely wouldn't spend $6000 on a first bike you have a good chance or dropping. Your best bet is to buy something for $3000 or less, ride it for a season (or two if you only put a few thousand miles on it in a year) then sell it for what you paid. That way if you wreck it you don't take much of a loss. Plus, you don't want to spend that much money on a bike you might not like. As big as you are, a super sport is going to be uncomfortable as hell.

How far you're willing to travel is up to you. Do you have a way to trailer it back? What if you drive 4 hours and only then does the seller mention the fork leaks, the battery is dead, etc. Remember to add gas cost, it'll turn a great deal to an average one pretty quick
Im 28. I cant tell ya how many hours i have on my belt. I grew up riding friends and familys dirtbikes. Ive borrowed several friends bikes for months at a time. Rode their bikes while they were on vacation or away on business. One friend doesn't have his M endorsment so when his bike needed to be taken to the shop i would take it there and back. In no way am i a pro but i dont feel im a new rider either.
I have ridden super sports and like i said in my first post is i defenintly dont want one. I want something i can ride comfortably. I would prefer finding a $3000 or less bike but i can pay up to 6.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
and the traveling cause i was thinking cause my wife and i like to travel several hours away and shop...... well she likes to shop..... we could travel the 3 hours to dallas or 1.5 hours to oklahoma city and get a bike there. they are b***** cities and have more of the bikes i would like to have. So even if the bike was not what i wanted or something else it wouldnt be a blow cause id still have fun with the wife and daughter
Im really starting to like the fz6. i havent ridden the sv650 but i have the ninja and the fz6. I like the more power the fz has. I also like the look better of the fz the others. I also like the gauges of the 2007 and sooner fz6's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
also the $6000 would be for a dealer cause i would put down $4000. So i guess if its a private seller then i would want it to be under $3500 so i could still buy gear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
just went to a honda dealer and sat on the new cbr650f. That is a nice looking bike. How does that match up to the fz6?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yea I read that. I'm just wondering if it would be a lateral move to it from a fz6 cause that would be pointless.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
So you're saying your interested is the honda as a second bike? Ride the piss out of your first bike before you worry about what to get next

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
If you're willing to come to the Dallas area, maybe I need to ask my wife how much she wants for her FZ6. I know she's been talking about selling it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
If you're willing to come to the Dallas area, maybe I need to ask my wife how much she wants for her FZ6. I know she's been talking about selling it.
yea. Post a pic of it also. We have been talking about making a trip there for shopping and fun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
mohawk, get a 05+ zzr600, i had one and wished i could have kept it but my wife said i can't keep 3 bikes so i sold it...it is carbureted but i had no problem with it...always started on the first try...and the throttle response is more linear than my cbr...

here are a few links...

2005 Kawasaki ZZR600: MD Ride Review – Do It All, On A Budget «
MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/200512-600s.pdf

Vehicle Reviews for 2005 Kawasaki ZZR®600

·
V-Twin Devotee
34 Posts
The FZ6 beats the VFR12 in every way that matters? Power? (Massive, honking, smooth, tractable V-4 power at that!) Suspension? Comfort? Anti lock brakes? What are you smoking?

The FZ6 sounds like it would work for what you want to do, other than the forks being made of cardboard and chocolate. I'm not a fan of them but they're solid bikes, and comfy.

Try to find an SV650S with the fairings. Also cheap, better handling, and you don't have to wring it out to get midrange on the street. Will run circles around a stock FZ6 at the track if you halfway know what you're doing. The clip ons are higher than the average supersport, but still pretty low and have a very narrow angle. It's a love it or hate it riding position.

The CBR is a paralell twin, if I'm not mistaken. Would be fine for what you want. The power will be more tractable, but won't have that hit up top like the FZ, or the low end grunt of a V-Twin. Just really smooth and happy everywhere. They also have a gas gauge and decent forks. If you have the money, want a new bike, and like the look, gofer it.

ZZRs are great bikes, but the clip ons may be lower than what you want. A friend had a ZX9R, and the ZZR's kept that body style when Kawasaki went to the '10.

My A-hole biases aside, The FZ won't do you wrong. Put in heavier fork oil if you can't afford to have them redone. That's probably your best bet. Buy it outright, ride the crap out of it, drop it a few times, get your first crash out of the way, and sell it in a year or two. They're good bikes, I've never heard of anyone buying one and hating it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
thanks sir wadsalot. Im really leaning toward the fz6. im about 99% certain thats what i want. now just to find the perfect one that isnt red. should i not bother to look at a fz7.8, or 9? will those be to much for me in price and power?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts