Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a new rider but i have never owned my own bike. Well its looking like its about time. Im married with one beautiful daughter. We own two cars and wanting to get rid of one. We are thinking since i have always wanted my own bike that it might be smart sell this car and to get a bike. We would take the extra money and save it towards a truck. Im a big guy and have ridden 500ccs and want a little more power to it. I am no way looking for a super sport liter bike but would like a 600+cc bike. Im a 6'3 235lb man and dont want to sit full lean. I want to be able to take it for rides of 5+ hours but at the same time i want to drive it to work everyday. I just test rode a FZ6 and a VFR1200 today. Both were great bikes but im leaning more to the FZ6. Just like the feel. Im looking to spend no more the $6000 on a bike loan and obviously would put down some from the sold car. I am wanting to hear everyones opinion on a suggested 600+cc bike for me. Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Does it have to be new??? I ride an old '99 ZX6R and have a little over 215,000 miles on it. I'm 6'2' 240 lbs and have ridden it from Philadelphia to Dallas in 2 days. I found it very comfortable for the trip. It's replacement, the J model ZZR600 and '00-'02 ZX6R, ride the same and can be found relatively cheap. The newer bikes all seem a little cramped to me for everyday riding. These bikes are now considered sport-touring as they were replaced by the more sportier decendents.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
FZ6 is the way to go. The VFR is a bloated gas guzzler that would likely cost more for insurance and maintenance. The FZ6 would beat it in every category that matters.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Yeah, I really like the FZ6 for what you're describing. Good ergos and well behaved for around town but can do weekend touring with no problem.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Fz1 is definitely too much bike for a new rider. How many miles have you managed to rack up never owning a bike? I'd say get an Sv650, ninja 650 or fz6

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea it totally doesn't have to be new. Just well taken care of. I have ridden a fz6 and the ninja 650 but never even sat on the sv650.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The fz6 is an inline 4 cylinder, so you have to wring it out to get to the power. The ninja 650 is an inline twin, and the sv650 is a vtwin, both make better street bikes with more low and midrange power. They are also a bit less powerful which would be better suited for an inexperienced rider. I don't know how many miles you've had in the saddle, but if it's less than 10k miles I definitely wouldn't get anything more powerful than the fz6

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I ride an FZ-6 and love it. You will need to put springs in it. MY 180 Lbs. bring the front forks to the nubs under hard braking.
An alternative might be a 600rr. You would need to install a handlebar conversion kit but that is easier then new springs. A little more pricy;
Spiegler Performance Parts - Handlebar Conversion Kit
Craig List normally has Honda 600 rr's listed. Honda sold lots of them. You should be able to find a good one for between 4 and 5 K.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
No more than $2500. Don't know that areas market well enough to give you an exact number. Judging by his lack of proofreading he probably isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, and that worries me as to how well he maintained it. If he hasn't been cleaning and lubing the chain and its the stocker, it won't be long before it needs a chain and sprockets. I'd offer him $2000 and maybe go a few hundred higher IF he has receipts for the oil changes, valve check, original owners manual and spare key

1 - 20 of 40 Posts