Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am looking to get a new bike and move up from the 750 that I ride now. I've always ridden Honda and have wanted an RC51 for as long as they've been out, but now the CBR1000 is out and Suzuki has the GSXR1000 dialed in and now I can't decide. So, tell me why I'm right to stick with the RC51 or why I should look closer at the other two.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
129 Posts
besides the looks of the RC which i love, And the power& and torque of the honda twin which is orgasmic :2fingers . The only thing i can think of at 3:49a.m. (just got done :bananafu: ) Is that you know when your at a red light and some inline 4 bike revs up its kind of anoying and pissy. Well when you blip your RC with a full exhaust its like a clap of thunder,Which is totally sweet.

this makes no since i'll post again tomarrow when i wake up
peace.
john.g

·
Registered
706 Posts
mcoomer said:
Hello all,
I am looking to get a new bike and move up from the 750 that I ride now. I've always ridden Honda and have wanted an RC51 for as long as they've been out, but now the CBR1000 is out and Suzuki has the GSXR1000 dialed in and now I can't decide. So, tell me why I'm right to stick with the RC51 or why I should look closer at the other two.

Thanks,
Mike
I am a little confused as to what Honda 750(cruiser?) you are moving up from, but I guess that is beside the point. You have to decide if you want a v-twin or an I-4. I like the thought of all the tq the twins can put out at a lower rpm, seems better for street riding, but I haven't gotten mine yet, so it's just theory for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one of the original Honda superbikes. I ride an '83 Honda Interceptor, and while I love the handling and smooth power that the V4 makes, I want something new. The RC51 has been my first choice because it is a V-Twin and it sounds like the bike makes power across a wide power band much like the V4 does, without a lot of spikes that are common with inline 4's. Add to it the fact that the bike is supposed to handle like it's on rails and it looks like it rolled right off the racetrack and I have a hard time believing that I could pick up a better bike. Plus, you don't see as many on the road as some other liter bikes. But, I've also heard lots of good things about the Suzuki and the new CBR and I just wondered what you folks had heard in comparison to the RC51. Whichever I choose I suppose it would be a good ride, but what do you think?

Thanks,
Mike

·
old member
13,079 Posts
As much as I'm partial to v-twins, the RC has the reputation of being a great bike but somewhat of pain in the ass (literally) on the street. Ergos and seat just too track-oriented? I would suggest finding a dedicated RC site and posting there. The GSX-R 1000 is very well refined at this point. The Honda 1000RR has lots of potential but is new. Tough decision all right.

How about the Suzuki SV1000S (with full fairing if you want)? V-twin liter bike with decent ergos and great pricing right now.

·
Registered
842 Posts
those litre i4's are more comfortable and have better "numbers" i guess. I really like the tq on my rc and it depends on your riding preference really. i like riding mountains and technical switchback roads so it fits me good. not good in parking lots and stoplights i will tell you that. very tall 1st gear and heats up quick as well as the seat i had to replace.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Woohoo! I got my financing today and placed a call to my fave Honda dealer. Still not sure what it will be, but I'm still leaning to the RC and maybe a new seat.

As to the riding that I do, up here in WA state we ride in a lot of mountains and canyons which is another reason I'm leaning towards the twin (torque). I am also not a real hard rider. I do ride fast, but only on roads that I know and only when traffic is right. My idea of a good ride is a canyon or mountain road with some twisties, high speed sweepers and nice straights, and I never stunt. I like to ride with serious riders who have been there and done that and know how to handle their bikes, not kids who want to wheelie and do burnouts (no disrespect, but not my thing). That probably means that I'll never push the RC near its limits but so long as I enjoy it I don't care. I'm not young (37) so the ergos might suck but I'm in good shape and never going to be younger so if I don't do it now then when??

So, if you have an RC, CBR-RR, or one 954's I'd like to hear what you think of your ride. Also, if anyone has good links for RC info and mods I'd love to see them. I'll let you folks know what I decide and put up a pic of the ride when I get it.

Night all,
Mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I picked up the 04 RC today. I tried the CBR and liked it but in the end I went with what I have wanted since they came out. I am off to work right now but I will post pics tomorrow.

Night all,
Mike

·
Registered
260 Posts
Im glad you picked the RC i think they are so cool. Post pics soon bro they look so awesome

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Now I'm a little ticked. I'm trying to add photos to this post but now having any success. I have the photos on Yahoo and on my PC. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to add them.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
456 Posts
Jester27 said:
I like the RC, but the 1000RR is amazingly cool. I wouldn't buy one until next year, but it's a great bike. There're just too many kinks that need to be worked out.
if you know of a kink post up... cause i got one and dont have any major issues at all

·
Registered
65 Posts
I owned an RC. Pretty good bike. I love seeing them at the track we rent for track days. The V twin sounds great. But the biggest plus is they are so much fun to embarass on my little green ZX6rr... (-:
Seriously, I got rid of mine because it was so uncomfortable on the street. Too hot, too cramped. Burnt my inner thighs one day riding in traffic... I'm old and broken though. Someone less seasoned than me shouldn't mind those little Inconveniences...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.