Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided I'm going to go ahead and get a bike now that I'm on campus and realize it would be a prime mode of transportation and a hell of a lot more fun than walking. Parents will be pissed, but we've been through that before.

That being said, I have two options right now.
1.) 02 Ninja 500r with 13,000 miles. I would be 3rd owner. Bike is pretty much spotless but some of it has been repainted. He told me he'd sell it to me for $2300.

2.) 03 Ninja 250r with 2200 miles. I would be second owner. Bike was dropped, repainted black with white flames:)o), scratched up exhaust and bar-ends. Has SV650 suspension and fender elim. He is asking $2,000.

I like the lesser mileage on the 250 because I think that I would be able to sell it for the same price after I put 6,000 miles on it. I would also want to get the exhaust and bar ends replaced. How much would that be?

I like the 500 because it matches my jacket and from what I hear, it seems it wouldn't get boring as quickly. However, I worry that the resale would not be as beneficial to me as the 250. What do you guys think is the better option?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd stick it out and wait for a slightly older 500 with fewer miles on it. Should have higher resale and a lower initial cost. Just my $.02, depends on how patient you are and how badly you want to ride :).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i want it bad :( i dodged a cheap sv650 for the folks and i want one (a bike) bad now. I may just do the 250. it'll resale for like 1800 maybe next year with like 8000 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hey bro i'm sorta in the same situation as you. i had an 03 sv650s but it got totaled (darn cagers). folks freaked out said no way in hell i'm getting another bike. but i missed riding so much i bought a ninja 250. it's no sv but sure as hell fun.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
either one sounds alright to me, and you should be able to get most of your money back if and when you do sell it. You may want to check out insurance for both before you decide on which one to get.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I take back all the nice things I said about you earlier. :lol
Don't let the miles on the 500 worry you, but I would find out why it's been repainted and why 2 owners already. If the story makes sense, try to get the price down a little more. Also make sure you have enough $$ for gear and insurance as it doesn't sound like your parents are going to want to help out there.

Another idea if you're really only looking for something to ride around town/campus is a scooter of some sort. No flame intended, just a thought. :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
I wouldn't pay those prices on either bike....WHY was the 500 repainted? And a crashed/repainted(nonstock) 250 is NOT worth 2k.

·
Registered
545 Posts
taziscool said:
I wouldn't pay those prices on either bike....WHY was the 500 repainted? And a crashed/repainted(nonstock) 250 is NOT worth 2k.

+1

I sold a prestine 250 with 1400 miles on it for $2250.

Oh and most bikes are worth more stock than they are modded.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sounds like he may have raced the 250. Considering most people can't stand the ex250's saggy suspension. Unless hes very heavy then.....well who knows I would say go with what feels best for you. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts