Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in the market for an SV650S and I'm struggling with whether to buy a new bike or used bike from the post-2002 model years (I want fuel injection). Does anyone here have strong opinions one way or the other?

Thanks!

- Ken

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
1st bike? Get used as cheap as possible for as good of a bike as possible.

Been riding for a few? Get new. Nothing like that "new bike smell". :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TRaGiK said:
1st bike? Get used as cheap as possible for as good of a bike as possible.

Been riding for a few? Get new. Nothing like that "new bike smell". :D
This'll be my second bike. I'm upgrading from a Ninja 250 I've owned for two years. <sarcasm>I'm expecting a negligible performance increase :).</sarcasm>

I should add that money is not an issue, but I like the fact that used bikes have absorbed the initial depreciation. Used SVs also tend to be in excellent condition. One significant factor in favor of new bikes is availability: new SVs are considerably easier to find, especially this time of year and for the model years I want.

- Ken

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Since you've been riding for a few, and money is not an issue, get new. You may take a hit on depreciation, but you'll know exactly what's been done to it and how it's been taken care of. Also, you'll be able to do exactly the mods YOU want to do, not what someone else wanted to do.

I bought mine new, and if I had to do it again, I'd still buy it new. I didn't really have much of a choice tho, as I wanted a second gen SV and bought it in 2003. There really wasn't any used ones around.

Regardless, just get an SV... you'll be hooked for life to v-twins. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sincerely appreciate everyone's advice. I brought home a new SV650S
today. For anyone contemplating a new bike, SV or otherwise, I highly
recommend purchasing a dealer invoice report from
http://cyclebuy.com/. It was accurate and considerably simplified the
negotiations, giving me the power to bargain up from the dealer's cost
rather than down from MSRP.

- Ken

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
So WTF are you doing on here? Why aren't you out riding? :D

Congrats on the SV and welcome to the cult...

ooops....i mean welcome to the club. :D

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
congrat's on the bike, any pics yet?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Born June 4th at 11:00am. 372 pounds, 87 inches long, 79 HP, 47 ft-lbs of torque at 7,000 RPM, and 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Father and baby are healthy and happy.

http://www.maniaphobic.us/images/photos/sv650s/20050605-162546.jpg
http://www.maniaphobic.us/images/photos/sv650s/20050605-162536.jpg

In terms of mods, I went for the Mr. Fusion power system (especially handy in the age of expensive gas) and a flux capacitor so I can do time touring. I also opted for smoke screen, oil slick, ejection seat, and phase plasma rifle in the 40W range. You gotta love the SV aftermarket ;).

- Ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. It always feels great to bring home that new bike, my 1st new bike was a 01' F4i. It's a cool feeling riding it off the lot. Have fun, and keep the rubber down.

J

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Congrats. I see you got it in blue, the fastest color. :D

Now, put some exhaust on that thing so it doesn't sound like a pissed off sewing machine. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
How does the sv650 compare to the ninja250? (how about a quick comparative review from someone who (has) own(ed/s) both plz)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JustinW said:
How does the sv650 compare to the ninja250? (how about a quick comparative review from someone who (has) own(ed/s) both plz)
Here're my initial impressions...

- The SV's engine thinks "pull" first and "spin" second. It's gentle and forgiving in first gear, but I can feel the wheelie potential. On the Ninjette, it feels like I'd need to pop the clutch at full throttle to lift the front wheel (I'm too cautious to tempt fate, though :)).

- The sensation of speed is completely different than the Ninja. The SV is so smooth and quiet that I find myself speeding without realizing it. The Ninja is the opposite -- it feels like it's working for every rev.

- I hadn't realized the extent to which the Ninja's ergonomics are upright. I'm sprouting new muscles and calouses to compensate for the more aggressive posture.

- The SV's fit, finish, and overall sense of quality are superior in every way. It feels more stable and solid, due in part, I suppose, to the extra weight.

- It's a head turner. People stare like I'm riding naked.

Many of the Ninjette's deficiencies relative to b*****, more expensive bikes are exactly why it's an ideal first bike and commuter. I have no regrets about learning on the Ninja and upgrading only when I was ready for a more serious machine.

- Ken

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
infovirus said:
- The SV's fit, finish, and overall sense of quality are superior in every way. It feels more stable and solid, due in part, I suppose, to the extra weight.

- It's a head turner. People stare like I'm riding naked.
I think you are the first person in the world I've ever heard compliment Suzuki's finish. lol.

PPL stare at mine, and normally ask, "where's the plastics?, did you crash it?", or say "that thing looks like a dirtbike. it just needs some renthal's" (some ppl actually put 'em on their sv's...i've seen it), and knobbies. The first comment normally come from non riders, the 2nd from my buddies messing with me.

As far as the pull first and then spin... it's the v-twin....the torque that makes it do that. :D My next bike will most likely be another v (SV1K :drool ).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TRaGiK said:
I think you are the first person in the world I've ever heard compliment Suzuki's finish. lol.
Bear in mind, I was speaking relative to the Ninja 250, not absolutely ;).

- Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JustinW said:
After all your riding on the ninjette do you feel the sv650 is a good second bike?
Absolutely. I wanted an SV as my first bike, but couldn't justify the expense until I was confident motorcycling was a long-term pursuit. Patience is indeed a virtue :). I acclimated to the SV immediately. I've read every review and discussion forum I can find and the accolades piled on the SV as a second bike are accurate. I've collected a number of reviews and I can post or PM them if you'd like.

- Ken

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've read some reviews of the sv650 so those aren't needed. My last question about the SV is how flickable is it compared to the ninjette?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JustinW said:
I've read some reviews of the sv650 so those aren't needed. My last question about the SV is how flickable is it compared to the ninjette?
I haven't spent enough time on my SV to draw conclusions, but they're similar. The weight difference is noticeable but not disruptive. Can anyone else here comment from experience on flickability between the SV and bikes as light as the Ninja 250 (~300 pounds)?

- Ken

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
My bike previous to the SV was a Honda 250 Nightchicken (yeah, not really a sportbike i know - the 250 was also my 2nd bike, NOT 1st).

If I'm not mistaken, both the honda and the lil ninja weigh close to the same. The SV is by far a better bike. The nighthawk was easier to "flick" around, but didn't handle nearly as well. Then again, as i said before, the nighthawk isn't a sportbike.

The SV is definately a good 2nd bike if you've got several thousand miles of riding on the 250 ninja. Without a doubt. Just be careful with it at first till you learn how the power comes on and how the brakes feel (brakes are thousands times better than the nighthawk, and hundreds better than the ninja). Keep in mind, the SV isn't a HEAVY bike at all. It weighs in just a hair more than the 600 SS bikes if memory serves me correctly (somewhere in the area of 415 pounds wet).

If you get the SV, I can promise you that you won't be dissapointed with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts