Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for a ride this morning...some local highways, doing 100-140 mph, just cruising, since not much traffic out...I rode for about 3 hours, and on the way home, I went to merge from one major hwy onto another....fast sweeping right hand turn...I'm doing about 120 mph in the slow lane, no probem...I lean the bike into the corner and the bike just does NOT want to turn....OK, so now I have my brakes on, doing about 80 mph, and having ended up on the outside of the turn and in the passing lane and the bike still is not responding. Before I knew it, I almost hit the guard rail. I missed it narrowly. I am thinking something is f**ked with the bike. So I pulled over about a mile down the road and I am going over my bike.

OIL all over the rear tire. Luckily, I was only about 30 min from home and I managed to ride the bike home, with my Hazard lights on and at a very slow pace...

I just did an oil change yesterday and it is probably my oil filter or some drain screw leaking a bit of oil.

Moral of the story- If the bike does not feel right, STOP and check it out- If I hadn't stopped and noticed the oil on my rear tire, I would probably be dead right now.

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
Very good advice indeed.
If the bike feels weird give it a good lookover, dont just dismiss it or it will bite you.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
I don't see why braking would be a big issue considering most of your braking is coming from the front anyways.... The dude is lucky.... good thing he checked his bike over.... I have had friends lose it because of oil leaking onto their rear's

·
Registered
839 Posts
Naughty76 said:
I don't see why braking would be a big issue considering most of your braking is coming from the front anyways.... The dude is lucky.... good thing he checked his bike over.... I have had friends lose it because of oil leaking onto their rear's

I guess i see what you are saying:rolleyes: but...

The way I see it is if you have oil on your back tire I would think there would be a severe loss of traction . Even more so when the contact patch of the tire is getting smaller.

I wouldn't think it would just be "hard to turn"

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
could the problem of turning in be target-fixation and not the oil? that's what i thought at first before i read about the oil. i would think the oil would cause the back-end to start sliding out and not just make it harder to lean over?

·
Registered
926 Posts
and if it is true...100-140mph??
dont tell me you have never seen tripple digits 02gixxer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Canadiankwak1 said:
Moral of the story- If the bike does not feel right, STOP and check it out- If I hadn't stopped and noticed the oil on my rear tire, I would probably be dead right now.
That's one moral. Another might be to not ride at 100-140mph on public streets.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Those crazy canadians :twofinger

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
02gixxer600 said:
I guess i see what you are saying:rolleyes: but...

The way I see it is if you have oil on your back tire I would think there would be a severe loss of traction . Even more so when the contact patch of the tire is getting smaller.

I wouldn't think it would just be "hard to turn"

When I checked the rear tire, the very middle (i.e. the contact patch) was fine. It had no oil. But 1/2 inch on either side were covered with oil...I don't know why, but my guess is that the way the oil was splashing, it got more on the sides and not on the middle. I think that is why I only noticed the problem in the turn....

On the plus side, my chain won't need to be lubed for a long time!

·
Registered
725 Posts
chain lube on tire

I took off riding once before my chain lube "dried" all the way and got some sprayed on the rear tire. Didn't notice a thing until a tight 50mph yes only 50... The rear slid out, wiping the excess oil on the road, grabbed again, after it was pretty far out of allign with my front and I about got thrown. Maybe at high speeds, the bike would have more of the gyro effect and somehow the oil would make it not lean good..... Personally I thought the oil made it lean really really easy... more so than I'd like to experience again, its scary to have a wheel slide out on you!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think I get what he is saying. The back is breaking loose, but it's not leaned over far enough to lowside making it a pain to steer. The rear of the bike just wants to keep moving in a straight line. I once blew out the seal on an oil filter cover on an old 500 and coated the rear tire in oil. When your tire is covered with oil it's just like riding on ice. You can lean, but you don't turn for crap. IMO, it feels similar to leaning when you have a flat tire.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I would like to be cool about this but when you mentioned that it could be oil drain screw or filter leaking or somthing you still rode it home? Does this mean you rode a bike home leaking oil? Say bye bye to your motor without oil man. Ever heard measure twice cut once? that applies to changing your oil too. The bike doesnt leave the garage untill its been gone over completely.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts