Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing this trip for the past 4 years, every October. Visit friends in Alabama for a week and spend a week at the Gap. So I'm leaving tomorrow to go to the Gap and I'll be there until Saturday. If anyone is planning to be there, hit me up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Oh, well I was gonna go, but I'll cancel it now.

:D

watch out for evil SUVs!

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
If I rode the Dragon it'd be personally embarrassing.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I've never had fatigue of any kind after doing the Waskesui scenic route (~50km, corners marked at 40-60km, mostly for deer, and not for the technicality of things. I blast through it at. . .uhh. . .more. . .yeah, we'll use that). It's the closest thing to a fun road we have around here. Finally getting some new pavement too, now that enough old folks and car/bike enthusiasts have bitched about it.

But seriously, I'm probably pretty painful to watch while attempting to hoon it up.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never had fatigue of any kind after doing the Waskesui scenic route (~50km, corners marked at 40-60km, mostly for deer, and not for the technicality of things. I blast through it at. . .uhh. . .more. . .yeah, we'll use that). It's the closest thing to a fun road we have around here. Finally getting some new pavement too, now that enough old folks and car/bike enthusiasts have bitched about it.

But seriously, I'm probably pretty painful to watch while attempting to hoon it up.
I don't get fatigued on any other roads except on the Dragon. It's just so intense. By the time you get through one turn, you're entering the next.... for 11 miles.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Word of advice. Don't ride the Skyway at night, in the rain, in the fog, when the road is covered in wet leaves. Worst ride ever.
I appreciate the advice. I never ride any of those roads at night. To many deer.

I stay at the resort so my daily routine starts with a few passes on the Dragon before breakfast. Then a few more. I quit riding the Dragon by 11am when all the Harley tourists usually arrive. I go ride the Skyway or 28 during the mid-day. I come back to the Dragon around 4pm and ride until just before dark. Then I come back to the resort, clean my bike, build a campfire, eat dinner and get drunk hanging out with the other riders that are staying there.

It's a fun schedule and I always leave having made a lot of new friends.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I appreciate the advice. I never ride any of those roads at night. To many deer.

I stay at the resort so my daily routine starts with a few passes on the Dragon before breakfast. Then a few more. I quit riding the Dragon by 11am when all the Harley tourists usually arrive. I go ride the Skyway or 28 during the mid-day. I come back to the Dragon around 4pm and ride until just before dark. Then I come back to the resort, clean my bike, build a campfire, eat dinner and get drunk hanging out with the other riders that are staying there.

It's a fun schedule and I always leave having made a lot of new friends.

It was more of a bunch of us getting food in Maryville, and then when we left we decided to take the Skyway instead of the Dragon since someone in our party crashed on the dragon on the way to get food. Got so bad that by the end we could only manage about 20mph on the Skyway by the time we were at the end.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I just got home from the Dragon about 1/2 an hour ago. On Saturday there was only one cop there for an hour or so for the majority of the day, a couple more drove through to go to the restaurant for dinner. Today there was only one cop and he was there for an accident, I don't think he gave out any tickets. The weather was absolutely perfect and the traffic wasn't too bad.

We were only there for a day and a half so all we did was the dragon. We did five trips on it yesterday and three trips today. I can't wait to go back!!!

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
None of those roads are fun to ride at night. My group did a 300 mile, 3 state, 12 hour ride from Suches to the Gap and back, and the last stretch in the rain and growing darkness wasn't much fun. Wolf Pen Gap at night is no joke.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
all of you talking about how miserable the night rides are. . .
makin me want to try something like that for kicks. which is dumb. but that doesn't usually stop me. :D

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
Depends on the area and conditions. I did a lot of night riding in my early years and had a great time. Just not on mountain/gap roads. :)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I'm from the flatlands Tammy. If I am near a mountain on a bike, I'm hittin it. 2am, 4am, thunderstorm, right before deer season, whatever.

Reactions: acalliste

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was more of a bunch of us getting food in Maryville, and then when we left we decided to take the Skyway instead of the Dragon since someone in our party crashed on the dragon on the way to get food. Got so bad that by the end we could only manage about 20mph on the Skyway by the time we were at the end.
Sounds pretty painful. Where did you end up staying that night? Robbinsville?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got home from the Dragon about 1/2 an hour ago. On Saturday there was only one cop there for an hour or so for the majority of the day, a couple more drove through to go to the restaurant for dinner. Today there was only one cop and he was there for an accident, I don't think he gave out any tickets. The weather was absolutely perfect and the traffic wasn't too bad.

We were only there for a day and a half so all we did was the dragon. We did five trips on it yesterday and three trips today. I can't wait to go back!!!
And that's why I go this time of year. It's even better during the week. Shhhhhh don't tell anyone else.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Depends on the area and conditions. I did a lot of night riding in my early years and had a great time. Just not on mountain/gap roads. :)
Yeah I love riding through the city at night. Especially weeknights when there aren't too many cagers out. I've got a vid on my YouTube channel where i ride through DC's light industrial districts at night. But yeah, mountain twisties at night? No thanks.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Going down Friday, be there until Sunday. Can't miss us, Kentucky-Sportbikes

1 - 20 of 28 Posts