Sport Bikes banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Super Moderator
18,531 Posts
Ghost Rider said:
Just leave it exposed to the air, let it dry and don't pick at it!
When you first get it, be sure and scrub all the dirt out of it.
If you don't mind excessive scarring, you can do this...Otherwise, keep it moist and covered...

See my earlier post...

· Registered
59 Posts
phaderlanx said:
I' really dont care about scarring, i just dont want it to keep healing/cracking/bleeding 3 times a day... it gets old fast....
one, didnt think i cared about the scarring either, but if its deep rash, then you run a really high risk of skin cancer in your future if it scars badly.

two, keep it moist. i forget the stuff i had, but ill check it when i go home.

keep it clean, if it gets infected, it will hurt a whole lot worse than it does now

there are a lot of oily coverings you can buy, my doc said to avoid them. for some reason they help scar tissue form, and also, even though you want to keep it moist, you still want some air to get to it, and the oil based bandages keep this from happening.

good luck

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks alot for the advice guys... im quite suprised we dont have more posts on the subject, considering we ride motorcycles.....

Anyway just got back an hour ago from a 6 hour ride, it was fun as always.. found some good roads to mark on my wall map.

The rash was a bitch in the beggining of the ride, and it always is a bit sore, but sharp streches and movements of my lower back pull at it.... bleh..

How serious is the skin cancer threat? Unless its real deep and large i couldnt imagine the mutated cell risk being worse than a tanning bed exposure..... ?

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
RACER X said:
+1x100, esp when your learning how to be a stunta
Don't you know that it's not cool for STUNTAZ to wear gear? They have to wear jeans and a sweatshirt, they lose "cool points" from the judges if they wear gear. I just hope now that he's experienced road rash he will wear gear from now on (LEATHER!). It's just stupid that people still don't wear gear even after they have seen the pics and heard the stories.

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
phaderlanx said:
im quite suprised we dont have more posts on the subject, considering we ride motorcycles.....
That's because some of us are smart enough to wear full gear. Those who don't wear full gear get embarrased when they get rashed, and realize they should have been wearing full gear, and don't want to fess up and admit they were WRONG.

Also to the people who say "waaaahhh, waaahhhh, it's too hot for leather" tell Nicky Hayden it's too hot outside, he shouldn't be wearing leather, and I guarantee you he will slap the shit out of you. Temperature is not an excuse for not wearing LEATHERS (draggin jeans is not "gear" either) and humidity isn't an excuse either. Wear your damned gear! Or suffer the consequences.

· Registered
2 Posts
I used a piece of Aloe Vera plant. Basically what I did was break off a piece and apply the juice to the road rash. After a few minutes of drying time I was able to take a pain free shower. It also heals the rash twice as fast as most first aid creams and works great at preventing scaring. Give it a try.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
firefighter81 said:
It's just stupid that people still don't wear gear even after they have seen the pics and heard the stories.

and its even worse when you experiance it and still dont wear full gear! :twofinger (like me!) gear is cool on track days, long trips, and cold days, but c'mon every second you ride? i guess my squidliness is startin to show :eek: ... :twofinger

· Registered
59 Posts
phaderlanx said:
How serious is the skin cancer threat? Unless its real deep and large i couldnt imagine the mutated cell risk being worse than a tanning bed exposure..... ?
most of it depends on the depth of the rash, but just as any scar, the pink skin lacks as much pigment and doesnt have the same protection from the sun. so the cells arent mutated at all from the rash, but the lack of pigment left in your skin leaves skin at a bit more risk, just as scars from anything else would. but road rash is generally considered the same as a third degree burn, and can leave skin at significant risk to skin cancer at later times.. ive got some rash that ground down to the muscle. it looks fine now, just a little discolored, but when my arms get cold, the scarred part turns dark purple from the blood, because with the lack of pigment, skin is a bit transparent. i asked my doctor about it, and he said that i can never really go out in the sun again with out spf 60+, and even then not for long periods of time.

not trying to scare or anything, just giving my 2 cents. ask an oncologist (is that right? a cancer doctor...)

and at least for awhile if the rash was at all bad, use some spf 60+ when going out in direct sun.

spf 60 - you put it on, and the clouds come out, the sun dissappears, and its starts raining. obviously not really, but the stuff seems like paint when you first put it on.

· Registered
65 Posts
L8 Braker said:
Use an antiseptic ointment, then put on a NON-ADHESIVE dressing, and then wrap in regular gauze...Make sure you keep the dressing clean and dry and the scarring should be minimal...

what his man said.

first off you need to make sure that it is cleaned out very well. i dont care how much it burns, you or a hospital need to clean it out to the greatest extent. it will heal up so much quicker if it is clean to begin with.

watch putting something that promotes skin growth like neosporin on it then wrapping it with gauze. in most cases a layer of skin will form but it will be stuck to the gauze and when you take it off to clean it, it will be torn back off. you can get teflon bandages on it and it shouldnt stick. keep them clean though.

· Registered
681 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
and its even worse when you experiance it and still dont wear full gear! :twofinger (like me!) gear is cool on track days, long trips, and cold days, but c'mon every second you ride? i guess my squidliness is startin to show :eek: ... :twofinger
WTF do you mean 'starting to show'...you're well past that. :chair

BTW, never had the pleasure of road rash....I don't crash my bikes. It's the BEST way to deal with it!:twofinger

· #1 Gear Nazi
4,743 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
Yes, I wear gear EVERY second that I'm on a bike, track or street. I've had about 7 crashes in my riding career, one on the street, rest on the track (never major, just minor lowsides, and one moderate highside) and I've never had road rash, because I wear my leathers always (no stupid mesh crap). I've had broken bones, a chipped tooth, and some minor pinching from improperly fitted leathers bunching up while sliding, but never road rash.

Take it from me, WEAR YOUR FUGGING GEAR! :angry

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
72Beetle said:
most of it depends on the depth of the rash, but just as any scar, the pink skin lacks as much pigment and doesnt have the same protection from the sun. so the cells arent mutated at all from the rash, but the lack of pigment left in your skin leaves skin at a bit more risk, just as scars from anything else would. but road rash is generally considered the same as a third degree burn, and can leave skin at significant risk to skin cancer at later times.. ive got some rash that ground down to the muscle. it looks fine now, just a little discolored, but when my arms get cold, the scarred part turns dark purple from the blood, because with the lack of pigment, skin is a bit transparent. i asked my doctor about it, and he said that i can never really go out in the sun again with out spf 60+, and even then not for long periods of time.

not trying to scare or anything, just giving my 2 cents. ask an oncologist (is that right? a cancer doctor...)

and at least for awhile if the rash was at all bad, use some spf 60+ when going out in direct sun.

spf 60 - you put it on, and the clouds come out, the sun dissappears, and its starts raining. obviously not really, but the stuff seems like paint when you first put it on.
Cool. Thanks for the info. Also thanks to all the posters who can handle someone not wearing full leathers all the time and have the maturity to answer my question and post up some relevant and helpful information.

"waaaahhh, waaahhhh, it's too hot for leather" tell Nicky Hayden it's too hot outside, he shouldn't be wearing leather, and I guarantee you he will slap the shit out of you.
Hello mr. overreaction. Nice to meet you. Your opinion is completely validated by using an obscure refrence to a motoGP racer and your imaginary response to someone (presumably me) saying, 'Its too hot for leathers', and him then proceeding to slap the shit out of me. I really get a kick out of how so many people are so adament about their opinions to the point where the actively force them upon others. Im not against leathers, and i honestly feel i do not need to explain myself further... the thing that pisses me off though, is how you bogart my thread and turn it into a gear-nazi thread.. we have plenty of those- go post there.

I heard you. I hear your opinion. Now please chill the fuck out, you arent impressing me.

BTW- Organ donor- where would i find a real aloe vera plant to use? Is that what you mean?

· Registered
63 Posts
LOL...Maybe Phader should learn how to wear his 2 sizes to big Leather Jacket that he just have hanging in his garage. Should've learn his lesson the first time, but nope. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm :lol

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.