Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new here. To give you a little background about myself:
I've ridden a 250 for about 6 months and am looking to upgrade myself to a 600cc bike. I have decided on a R6. Since I've ridden illegaly all this time (local roads and parking lots), I decided to get my license since I'm gonna upgrade to a new bike. So this past weekend I finished and passed the MSF class. They told me that I wouldn't be getting the paperwork for my license for at least 3 weeks so right now I'm technically still a permit rider.
My question is, I plan to buy a 2004 R6 this week from a local dealership. If I wanted to ride it out of there (my house is only 10 minutes away), will they allow me to do that? Is it even the dealerships responsibility to make sure I have my license when I leave with the bike? Technically it's mine right after I sign all the papers, and pay for it right?

Any help would be great...thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hmmm.... I'm not sure about this. I'm not sure if the dealer would ask for a valid motorcycle endorcement before the sale or not. As long as you bought the bike I don't think they care how you get it home. It's not up to them to police buyers. Maybe I'm wrong to assume this??

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
what kinda mileage do you have?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Six months isn't a long time on a 250R to jump to an R6. That is a four fold increase and power. If you say its because you've outgrown the 250R, you are lying through your teeth. At six months, you've barely been able to explore what the 250R can do. It was two years before I moved to a 600. Even then, I would be leary of jumping to an R6.

Most dealers won't ask on the permit/license thing. You are also lucky you haven't hit anybody in that time. If insurance figures out you are an unlicensed rider, they can decide to not cover you. My insurance even asks for proof of permit or Class M endorsement before they will issue the policy.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Keep the 250 another 6 months...THEN get an R6!! I rode the hell out of m y two fiddy then I got my R6 a little over a year later!!

The dealership probably won't care...as long as you hand them a check...the bike is yours...but I still think you should wait!!

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
as long as you pay them, they don't care. however, on a new R6 i would make sure you get that M class lisence, cuz you will get looked at by every cop you pass. and what do they have to send you? after my MSF (in IL) i got my card on my way out. went to the DMV the next day it was open and got the M class. oh well, good call with the R6, but would wait at least a year. i have an 01 and i love it. either way, have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
patfitz9 said:
as long as you pay them, they don't care. however, on a new R6 i would make sure you get that M class lisence, cuz you will get looked at by every cop you pass. and what do they have to send you? after my MSF (in IL) i got my card on my way out. went to the DMV the next day it was open and got the M class. oh well, good call with the R6, but would wait at least a year. i have an 01 and i love it. either way, have fun and be safe.
I passed the MSF tests so I'm guaranteed a class M license. I WISH they gave me the card on my way out...but I have to wait to get it in the mail. Which is kind of stupid if you think about it.

Don't worry guys, you won't be seeing me on the street any time soon with my R6 (except when I ride it home from the dealership really slowly)...I'll be strictly in the parking lot for the rest of this season.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
find a track day w/ your 250, and realize you've only touched the edge of the performance envelope of your 250

1 - 9 of 9 Posts